New filing on ecourts re MB

Really, I can understand both points of view.

14 Likes

Personally, were I in his place, I would continue on in the name of justice and truth if I could. Crime should not pay and criminal acts were done against him by multiple people.

30 Likes

If I could, I would continue, especially if I had their confessions of what they did to me in evidence, and especially if I had their confessions of the shooting having been an accident. It would be very hard to walk away from airing that in a trial which would reestablish my professional reputation. If it were me, my professional reputation would be the end goal of trial or settlement, and if a settlement, it would probably not be kept secret and would involve confession on the part of the Kanareks.

11 Likes

While I agree with this I also can see where a person just can’t continue the fight because they are dealing with a sociopath. Just seeing these people and having to deal with them is what created this whole drama. I myself would push for a settlement and hope that the next person they piss off has enough money to take them on and win.

9 Likes

As for money, if he settles. At least he would get the amounts of 250k from RC and whatever SGF agreed to pay the Ks, if any. The SGF settlement though could well be that each party agreed to walk away, or that in the face of what SGF had on her, the Ks paid SGF a sum. If the Ks paid SGF, MB may now have more money to continue, as he was at last 50 percent of SGF.

3 Likes

Litigation can steal the life force from someone. It can eat up your life literally and figuratively. He is not a young man. Litigating to get justice is usally not recommended by lawyers.

While I can understand why, for example, the Sandy Hook families went after Alex Jones which I am sure was driven by a need to get justice, this is not that horrific situation. I am not sure how you go on after what those families went through. MB has a path for getting his life back. Those families never will.

16 Likes

I can’t even imagine the cost for a criminal defense and ongoing legal expenses for the Krol hearings and appeals on top of a civil suit.

4 Likes

I imagine his standing with SS is a major factor in continuing the civil suit.

18 Likes

I completely agree with your first sentence. But, sometimes I think there’s a difference between getting justice, and not just giving in on principal.

For example - Gwyneth Paltrow spent seven (7) years and millions of dollars to fight a lawsuit she easily could have settled and walked away from. And, the jury did not believe the plaintiff, and she won the $1.00 (one dollar) she asked for in her counter suit.

In other celebrity suits, Johnny Depp/Amber Heard - Depp didn’t need money he won in judgment from Heard. He eventually agreed to waive most of that judgment, and has said the rest will be donated to charity. He said repeatedly, he wanted the truth to come out. For him, he wanted his story told.

So, I guess my point is, if by getting justice you mean seeking punishment, I would agree that civil litigation may not help you there. If you mean it in the sense of compensation for a loss, a civil judgment may or may not fulfill that. But if getting justice means taking a stand and saying enough is enough, I won’t roll over for this any more, I want the truth out in the world despite the costs, I think only the litigant themselves can determine that.

39 Likes

Was she awarded her legal fees as well? Either way, she and Depp were both in a position to carry on to the end.

Obviously it could be a factor if someone just did not have the financial resources to continue a case on principle.

3 Likes

That isn’t up to the jury to decide. There may be future hearings in front of the judge, but in Utah (and NJ seems similar) you have to prove to the court that the other party acted in bad faith in pursuing the litigation in order to be awarded attorney fees.

8 Likes

I think you missed the point of what @ekat posted.
It was not about the money. It was about exposing the liars, getting the truth out.

16 Likes

I hope LK was paying attention to the Paltrow trial.

The injured party sued, and lost.
The injured party’s subsequent activities and online postings belied the claims of the severity of the injuries.
Video of the incident has gone missing.
The injured party’s demeanor on the witness stand did him no favors with the jury.
The injured party avoided direct answers to questions, even from his own attorney.

Sound familiar?

31 Likes

I beg to differ. I did not miss the point at all.

I merely stated that those two rich celebrities could pursue the matter for years without worrying about how they would be able to pay their lawyers. Not everyone has that luxury.

13 Likes

Specifically for the Kanareks and their brethren
one was indicted this week!

14 Likes

21 Likes

Oooh, nice one!

One down, three to go.

1 Like

But does he, if he doesn’t get reinstated by SS/USEF?
I’m thinking the reason to keep going is because otherwise, what’s he got left?
He owes $$$ to lawyers, no NJ farm, booted by SS/USEF
 if he doesn’t prevail in his civil case, which seems to me most likely, he’s left to do what to rebuild his life with?

7 Likes

This case is not linked to the SS?USEF disposition. This case is not his salvation.

4 Likes