New filing on ecourts re MB

The plot thickens!

9 Likes

No, that would be potatoes (thickening).

7 Likes

Found one for ya, CH.

With your talent for endless repetition of certain phrases, you’ll be able to spend your time teaching him “Halt, Halt”. Hopefully many hours away from a keyboard.

I’ll show myself out and over to the GFM.

29 Likes

GFM donations are almost $1700 since the response fines started. :slight_smile:

36 Likes

I am sure Michael still has lots of legal expenses, so the additional donations will be a good thing.

12 Likes

All parties have dismissed their claims against the others.

That was what they agreed to. I’m calling their mutual agreement to dismiss their claims against the other as the terms of their settlement.

If a judge were to dismiss the case, that would be different. But each side agreeing to withdraw their claim against the other I’m calling a settlement.

A settlement does not necessarily require one party paying the other money, although money apparently was involved in the settlements with RC and SGF.

1 Like

Congratulations. You’ve made it to what we’ve been saying all along.

12 Likes

13 Likes

Exactly.

Fine, but that, legally, isn’t correct usage for the term “settlement”. Your continued insistence on using incorrect language is something else.

41 Likes

Did you just agree with me?

How dare you!

I disagree with your agreeing with me :rofl:

21 Likes

I’m stealing this picture. That’s freaking hilarious.

1 Like

You can call it macaroni if you want but it doesn’t change what happened. LK’s lawyers went to MB’s lawyers and asked them to please, pretty please agree to dismiss the case before Lauren ran the risk of “embarrassing” herself in a deposition.

37 Likes

I haven’t shat myself since I was a kid but it hardly never went up

:crazy_face:

1 Like

According to LO, the facts are that LKs lawyers approached MBs lawyers and asked whether MB would drop his suit if she dropped hers. Apparently the answer was yes.

The part you added about somehow knowing that her motive was to quit the suit to avoid embarrassing herself in the deposition is entirely made up by you to make LK look bad or weak.

Both parties had the same set of issues— whether to continue the suits at considerable cost (personal as well as financial) when the likelihood of recovering a significant monetary award from the other was small. LK already had significant monetary compensation from SGF and RC.

The considerations on each side were very symmetrical. It was a good outcome for both sides. LK, apparently, did not want to continue to bleed MB dry with continuing legal costs just to “finish him”, contrary to what Eggbutt claims.

This was a horrible tragedy and a horrible situation and the fact that the civil suit has been settled “just” a year after the criminal trial is a win/win outcome.

It says a lot about you and your fixation with hate that what is most important to you is not that this is an excellent outcome for both Barisone and LK, but that you have a compulsion to overlay the objectively positive outcome with the entirely made up narrative that LK was desperate to settle to avoid embarrassment.

5 Likes

It is so exciting how ignoring the yawns just has made this thread so much better. Please keep on ignoring. Please

15 Likes

Lawyer here. They filed a stipulated motion. They jointly stipulated to withdraw all claims, counterclaims, and cross-claims. With prejudice. This is not a settlement agreement or “terms of settlement”. This is a specific legal document—a motion. Which the court will grant because what court is going to force parties to litigate who no longer want to.

Just FYI, you can stipulate to a lot of things that are not dismissal or suggest a settlement agreement was reached. Example—sometimes the parties will stipulate as to certain facts.

Given the dumpster fire above that has started since the stip was filed (and all of the posts over the past few years), my personal opinion would be to push for some kind of written settlement agreement, after which, upon signing, the stipulation would be signed and filed. I see usefulness in having confidentiality and non-disparagement clauses, with monetary damages for violating those clauses. And maybe a waiver from both sides as to all of the public statements made to date.

But, the clients decide, and I was not involved in this case and don’t know how the negotiations/mediation went down. It does speed things up not to negotiate terms of any written agreement if both sides have agreed the cost-benefit is no longer worth it. And the withdrawal is with prejudice so we can’t revisit these same claims again. There really isn’t a need to mention an agreement in the motion if all parties are stipulating to dismissal, but based on things both sides have posted, it doesn’t appear there was a written agreement.

50 Likes

Similar to some online interactions, I would think.

4 Likes

NOT A LAWYER HERE.

I don’t see a clause about attorney fees. I don’t know if New Jersey considers attorney fees separate from the clause “all claims” as it seems the federal government does but all attorneys seem competent enough not to have neglected to address that in writing somewhere. Also, there is not language concerning agreeing to avoid each other in the future which may be handled separately by restraining orders. There is no language concerning discussing the case or each other later publicly.

Going into this last round with the judge, there were several motions which required the judge’s attention. Depending on what the judge ruled could have brought an additional vulnerability to LK and potential for award to MB if the parents were involved. We know that Dienenger call HIPAA for future hearings concerning MB but we don’t nor should we ever know now the case is withdrawn what definitive diagnoses were made and whether or not those would preclude LK’s actions from having any effect on MB’s mental health as claimed by the defense. I do not think these attorneys would have neglected those considerations.

There is a lot we don’t know, including whether or not a written settlement was made. However, with the amount of time the parties have been in mediation, a draft agreement is likely to have been presented at the start and edited over time until all parties agreed on all items with a few pending prior to the meeting with the judge.

What we do know is it is a win/win for the parties to settle and not go to court. Between probably PTSD at the least for LK and the possible continued fragility or recovery of MB’s mental health, neither needed the stress of trial.

I am happy for both and wish them well.

1 Like

What on earth is this word salad?

37 Likes