Unlimited access >

New Forum Fun, Questions and Glitch Reports

Cannot post in Announcements, can post in Events and Missing. Looks good! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is definitely going to take a steep learning curve. Are we absolutely sure we can’t bring back pages? A lot of the issues people are commenting about have to do not only with ease of navigation, but also the inherent culture of the COTH forums. How many threads have been started, and finally someone says, “OMG, this has gone on for 50 pages!”?

My question is about liking posts. This morning I was scrolling through, clicking the heart button on posts I liked, when I got a pop-up box saying something like “We’re glad you like these posts! But you only have a few likes left for today.” So do we now have a daily quota on how many posts we can like? That, too, will strike to the heart of the COTH forums culture. Is this fixable?

4 Likes

I am the queen of ‘change sucks’ but now that I have learned some of the techniques of this no page thing, it seems like something I can live with. Hopefully the more I use it, the more useful it will seem.
We will just have to start saying ‘OMG, this has gone on for 1000 posts’.

I like your question. I look forward to hearing the answer.

Well, I’d get my bucket of horse cookies if someone had only taken me up on it :wink:

Much improved performance on Chrome today, most page loads well within 2 seconds, long threads can be slow (visible loading indicator) and sometimes make a couple of jumps as they load the thread history. iOS within 3 seconds.

The lack of pagination is definitely going to be an adjustment from the usability perspective. I know that’s a deliberate implementation design but we do tend to carry on over here and I’m concerned about performance and cognitive load on threads that exceed 20 pages.

1 Like

@Moderator_1 et al.

It was interesting for me to read how much load testing was done!

In my past life, I was part of a project doing a significant upgrade… application was pretty close to 24 x 7 x 365 with tens of thousands of concurrent users. :flushed: We did do load testing; it is so not easy nor cheap either resource-wise or economically.

So very easy to say ‘should have done better load testing’ and so hard to actually accomplish that.

Extend my thanks to the dev team both for load testing and for taking the time to share their process!!

2 Likes

Yes, we can absolutely adjust Like limits. I already bumped them up once from the default, but I’ll go increase it some more. Thanks for the heads up on that!

Pages breaks are not returning in the foreseeable future. It’s just an inherent part of the platform design. I know it’s a big change – I think that’s the biggest thing to get used to, beyond just learning where everything is initially.

3 Likes

There are ways to navigate to the end of a topic if that is what is desired. I agree that if what you were using pages for was a page count for some of the more, shall we say, outrageous topics. Now maybe we learn to pay attention to the number of views and posts to get the same :astonished: view of the world :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I just changed the likes max/day from 50 to 200. That’s for the most basic trust level. It is increased by a x1.5, x2 and x3 multiplier as you move up the trust levels.

I don’t think we’ve had issues with rampant spam likers, so have at it COTHers!

I also realized that we probably don’t need the FAQ section anymore, now that we can create a single post that contains tons of tips all in one. All that info was years old anyway, so I disappeared it, and eliminated the parent category for this forum, so Technical Help is now standing proud on its own. :partying_face:

5 Likes

the green slide bar scrolls you around really fast. Besides, on the old forum, people could have page post numbers differently - default 10 (I think), or set to 30, so pages weren’t static anyway.

Same. Load testing software - GOOD sw - isn’t cheap. And while it’s worth it for a big company that regularly releases updates that need load testing, it’s 100% not a good use of $ for someone like COTH.

2 Likes

Yes Yes to this! Will it work again?

Yes. Known issue, it’s being worked on.

@Alex_and_Bodie_s_Mom (and others who are concerned about navigating without pages)

There are a lot of pretty spiffy (and powerful) tools built in here to make getting through a thread easy :slight_smile:

The thread slider and first post footer are the best place to start. There’s a rundown here:

Using the thread slider, you can scroll through the entire thread, seeing post count, post date and–on mobile–even a little preview of the post itself. Super cool

Using the first post footer, you can quickly (one click) go to the last post in the thread. Or filter by a certain poster. Want to catch up on a train wreck and just see the OP’s posts? You can filter and see JUST their stuff. There’s a long thread on deworming and you want to just see JB’s responses? Totally doable.

There’s also a “summarize this topic” button in the first post footer. Click that and you’ll see a summary. I think it looks at likes, but has other criteria, too. You can try it out in this thread–just use the thread slider to go back to the first post, and you’ll find it in the footer.

If there’s a post in the middle of a looong thread that you think is amazing, and you’re worried about losing it, you can bookmark it, and that will save it to your profile. You can even write a note to attach to it. There’s even the option to set a reminder alarm, if it’s something you want to check back in on later.

I know a lot here is really different. But–bonus!–there sure are a lot of new toys and upgrades that are really pretty awesome :grin:

4 Likes

I just wish I would quit trying to scroll.

Guess after a good 20+ years scrolling and flipping pages, it will take a while longer to remember to now click on the black header.

No problem with the platform that, but the absentminded user. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think they have the speed problem licked for now, is zippy again, for me anyway.
Thank you, cyber-elves.

4 Likes

Hahahaha, it took me about a week! :rofl: :rofl: And then I started looking for the thread slider on the other board and that was it’s own headache…

1 Like

Oh, I don’t feel so … lacking then.

Thank you so, so very much for all the help you are so patiently and graciously giving everyone. :hugs:

3 Likes

Oh geez, no, you should definitely not feel lacking! Tons of change, it’s a lot to get used to! We’ll all get there :grin:

2 Likes

I am practicing the quote feature. Thanks for all of your hard work. :hugs:

2 Likes

I do wish we had our old emojis back. (I would be nodding here if I could.)

Did you look at those here, click on the smiley face on the head of the posting window.

Surely some there are suitable? :sunglasses:

1 Like