Unlimited access >

New Forum Fun, Questions and Glitch Reports

The things one learns on COTH. Never knew! Interesting.

My level of computer clueless is such that I would not have known what was meant by hamburger menu if there was not a graphic to go with the instructions. So I am glad there were graphics.

If the picture shows up, I sometimes have a hamburger in each upper corner of my screen. So… a double hamburger?

1 Like

The left one is for the main Chronicle website. The right one is for the forum :slight_smile:

I think the left one will eventually be replaced with the big “C” logo? Is that still the plan, @Moderator_1?

Can I just say that some of the advice, tutorials and screenshots about all these new functions (green sliders and hamburgers :upside_down_face: ) are less than helpful? It seems that everyone who got a chance to play around with the software in advance is using different language to explain things.

Perhaps just starting with the basics of navigating the forums in ONE way would make it easier to understand and less work for you. It’s going to be different and I think most people can get past that, but there’s a lot of overload right now.

I’ll save my question about how to skip to the last post on a thread without opening it first.

Yes, that is a Big Mac. :cow: :cow:

I did ask them about it, so we’ll see what turns up!

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what the FAQ really is :slight_smile:

FAQ -- Tips for Using the Site

Great place to start!

2 Likes

This was answered up above, recently.

But it is a good question, that I asked too, on Monday.

When you are on the below screen you have two choices to go to the end. The number on the right (burgundy circle) is how long ago the last post was. Pick that and it will open the thread on the last post.

The number with the green circle is the post count. Pick that and you will be given the choice of going to the first post or the last post.

This is what it looks like when you pick the post count (green circle). Pick the top one to go to the first post and the bottom one to go to the last post.

3 Likes

Well, maybe that should be the standard reply to questions instead of adding to the confusion. :wink:

Thank you! I thought I saw a post about this somewhere, and tried, but was clicking on the avatar of the last poster (on the right) instead of to the far right on the time of post.

ETA: It works. :lollipop: Learning to click on numbers instead of pictures or words will take some getting used to.

I like how the FAQ sheet gets fleshed out here with all these extra details and different ways of saying things. In fact I’m sure I’d still be lost in a fog without them! :upside_down_face:

Thanks everyone for taking the time!

4 Likes

I feel like at some point earlier in the week, the screen had the big C logo at the top left corner. Or was it on the right? But it evaporated at some point, or turned into the hamburger. The hamburger on the top right corner only appears when I scroll upwards.

So far I have only looked at the new site on my phone, so I don’t know if everything is the same on another device.

Yes, there is a case of the disappearing hamburger on mobile. I’ve reported it to the authorities.

On a separate note, I think I just changed a setting so that now, via your Preferences --> Interface, you can choose whether or not pinned threads will automatically unpin for you when you get to the end of the thread. That’s what the did by default before, but we use pinned threads more for ongoing reference than for one-time instructional posts for new users.

That way, if you select that option via your Preferences, when I pin the FAQ thread at the top of this forum, it can stay there, even after you read it, unless you CHOOSE to unpin it. Hopefully that is helpful…and I did it correctly.

2 Likes

Thanks, the in sight search feature is working great (and is actually better than before!) google results are still linking to the main page though.

Sorry duplicate post :woman_facepalming:t2:

Not a big deal, but it there a way to label the OP as the OP within the replies?

Thanks for all your hard work.
Things seem to be running much smoother/zippier this afternoon.:blush::+1:t2:
I am actually really enjoying many of the new features, now that I’ve had time to play around with things.

1 Like

Known issue, they’re working on it, it’ll come back, yay!

What you can do now is filter by poster–click their avatar and the “x posts in topic” button. Then you get their stuff only :blush: That’ll work unless they have their profile blocked.

Oh, another option (that’ll work if the profile IS blocked) is to search the thread for the poster. From a thread, click search, enter “@username” and search will give you all the posts. You can click each one, and the search results will persist in the search box until you leave the thread. Not as sexy as filtering, but still a lot sexier than our previous search options!

2 Likes

Not to mention, if people are explaining things differently, there are people who need things explained in different ways for it to make sense, especially since a few questions have needed multiple and different answers for it to be understood well. if someone is getting confused in here, just stick to the FAQ.

3 Likes

Excellent explanation! I was typing in some blank spaces thinking I would just get an indent!

1 Like

Fair enough but there continue to be questions even when pointed to the FAQ with circles and arrows on screenshots. It doesn’t help that everyone is looking at a new page layout and the site was frustratingly slow for several days.

My point was that instead of saying “you can do this, this or this”, it might be easier to offer the most simple option first to those who are still confused by the navigation.

ETA: I just looked at the FAQ again and see what could be a problem. There is no difference between the font in the screenshots and the font explaining them. Some people need pictures and some need words, but that all kind of ran together without a visual distinction between the two, IMO.

2 Likes

There is one font available on this board. IIRC, there was only one font available on the last board, too, so that’s not really a new thing.

I’m sorry that you’re unhappy with every single way people are trying to help.

5 Likes