Unlimited access >

New Forum Fun, Questions and Glitch Reports

:joy_cat: that never happens here…

3 Likes

Pocket dragon might be the best thing I have read today!

5 Likes

Is there a way to get rid of the “search forum categories” function when trying to jump between forum disciplines? I know what the categories are, I don’t need my keyboard to pop up to type in a word to search when jumping from Eventing to Racing. I find it very annoying when I click the drop down tab, just get ready to click a forum title, and then the keyboard appears and my “click” is misplaced.

Glad to see the response and changes, and happy to have my original username back, thanks!!

Interesting, thanks.

I’ve decided I’m not even going to worry about the levels. Cae sera, sera. Lol.

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but I am sick of scrolling and reading to see.

How do we post photos?! I tried clicking on the Image button in the tool bar, but it doesn’t allow me to go find a photo on my computer - it just brings up a weird HTML code thing. I see others embedding photos in their posts, but I don’t seem to have a way to do it.

You can just copy and paste.

I don’t know how to give you a link directly to the instructions in the FAQ thread, but here is a link to the thread.

Here is a screen shot of the instructions there.

1 Like

Can you detail exactly what you’re clicking to make this happen? Haven’t seen that one.

If that menu is annoying, have you tried using the Category list available when you click the three gray lines by your profile picture at the top right? That’s another way to jump to a different category without needing a drop-down menu. Those categories will also appear in order of which ones you personally tend to use the most…so your favorite forums will probably be near the top of the list.

1 Like

I think this is on mobile, if you’re in one forum. There’s a drop-down menu you can use to switch to a different one. The keyboard that pops up for typing into the search obstructs the bottom of the scrollable list of forums you can jump to. You can still scroll, at least on my phone, but I can see where the keyboard would be annoying.

Hamburger menu may be a good alternative to use though.

Still giggling at Pocket Dragon!

@Simkie can you tell me how you link to just certain lines of your FAQ thread?

1 Like

Not too aggressive… just about right IMO :rofl: :rofl:

Pocket dragon… :rofl: :clap:

You can tell that sometimes we are easily entertained :grinning:

1 Like

That is a neat baby dragon.
The big ones have a red flame coming out of their mouths.

I think that one is cute, in a scary way.

I can see how it may lose those expressive details reduced to avatar size.

Reporting what some keep missing:

• Under poster’s name, a location of poster, how long a poster here, original poster red lettering.

• On titles, who started it and when.

Many were using that information to decide from all the threads and new posts, what was out there of interest and where to check next.

I expect those are extra features, some that may be added later, for what has been discussed.

Just a reminder, since some posts lately have again addressed that.

1 Like

Not missed. Mod1 has put them on the list in the original post of things on our wish list.

1 Like

Yes, some were just posting about it, one such on CE, why the reminder.

Everything is really zipping along well now, how wonderful!

1 Like

Yes, this is the issue when using my phone. I’m so used to the drop down menu, has been my navigation go-to since the early 2000s. Will try the alternative, thanks!

1 Like

can you define what “accessibility” means?

“Accessibility” in this case is a technical term of art meaning that it conforms to guidelines that help people with various disabilities access the page. Some of the things we can do include:

• Ensure all text is large enough for most people to read, and dark or light enough compared to its background to be read. So for example, small, light grey text probably can’t be read by a substantial portion of the audience
  • When measuring colors, consider that not everyone sees colors the same way. So for example there are people who cannot distinguish a red item from a green item. If you indicate whether someone is here or away with a green dot versus a red dot, they will look the same to people with red-green colorblindness. Instead you can use a solid green dot versus a red x say to give a more clear distinction that everyone can read.
  • When designing a page, realize that not everyone has the same monitor size, and that also people with vision impairment may increase the default text size. Layout needs to flow and not be set pixel by pixel. This has a nice side effect of supporting phones versus desktops as well.
  • All navigation should be usable by keyboard. Some people cannot use a mouse, either because of personal physical limitations (blindness, missing an arm) or because of temporary difficulty (mouse is broken, hand is coated with delicious pizza, hand is holding a baby).
  • All important images and icons should have some text associated with them that can be read for blind users

That’s a very simple list of some of the WCAG expectations. Most of us will be temporarily or permanently disabled at some time in our lives, even if just a sprained wrist or because we are holding a baby. It is interesting to note how many people who are not blind use screen readers, and I’ve found them useful for all kinds of situations myself. (All modern computers have them built in, if you want to try one.) Older software didn’t meet all these needs well, but there’s no reason newer software shouldn’t be able to.

6 Likes

when you’re the moderator, your avatar can’t be too bitey IMHO. I love the pocket dragon.

1 Like

This is Mara here.

Somehow I have been assigned Kemosabe’s identity. Not just the posts - I can see her history, her private messages, everything. I’m trying to log out and log back in but can’t figure out how?

Oh my, that is kind of scary.

@Moderator_1 I think it is time for the pocket dragon. (Or maybe I just wanted to giggle at pocket dragon again.)