Unlimited access >

New Forum Fun, Questions and Glitch Reports

I really like having the option of what test gets quoted, if any, when direct replying to a poster.
I also use the direct reply feature quite a bit.
IMO, on the mobile version, it is noticeable to see when someone has direct replied to another poster.
Maybe it’s different when on a computer🤷🏻‍♀️

Did the reply “nesting” feature get disabled?
In the beginning I had seen posts that had the notice underneath, which you could click & see all replies pertaining to that particular post.
I’m not seeing it anymore.
Unless it due to having read all the previous replies in those threads already???

Here’s what it looks like on a laptop

It’s not invisible, it just isn’t something my eye is drawn towards. My eye first sees the poster’s name, and then starts reading the comment, and by the time I’m reading to the right of the screen, my eye isn’t moving up again to see that reply notation. That’s why I think if it were moved to be directly beside the commenter’s name, it would be much more visible

If you click the arrow/username who was replied to (so Moderator_1 in my screen shot), the replied to comment will show nested relative to the rest of the thread. But that’s not the default.

1 Like

That’s still here. Check out post numbers 950 and 951 in this thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Still there, but you have to click the v to expand it, it’s not auto-expanded.

I just want to note persisting (up to the present) issues/concerns/questions I have, just to pass on the information, and maybe someone can tip me off in places where I’m going wrong::

– still times when the forum loads really slowly. Not always, but it was doing it on me last night. Any change in settings I might try?

– how can I scroll back up to the top of a thread so I can see the menu on the left side? What happens is, I zip the scroll block all the way up – it appears to go to the top, then after a moment it blips back down. Repeat, repeat, repeat til I can finally actually get to the top and have it stay there. Is there an equivalent to the “page up” feature that might help here? Or should I adjust how long/how many posts load at a time or something along those lines, if that is even possible?

– I do see some discussion of the nesting features that I need to dig into, but what I have on my screen is – I see the nested replies, then as I read down, I see all of them again as un-nested replies. It’s another source of a lot of visual clutter, and interrupts the flow of reading as you start to read a message, then realize you’ve already seen it, you have to reset mentally where the flow of the discussion actually is at that point, etc.

– Just a comment that I have been through several versions of the COTH forums. None of the past revamps/new platforms have ever resulted in my needing to consult technical help or to mistakenly think that forums and features are gone, but really weren’t – things like that. I didn’t have to check into problems with scrolling or anything basic or advanced – always pretty intuitive and easy to figure out just by using the forum.

In short, my point is that those of us with issues/dislikes about the new format aren’t just nostalgic luddites. Though to be fair, I think the moderators and other forum staff are more understanding of this – it is other users who are disdainful and sometimes even downright insulting.

But this new format is not intuitive in many ways, and there was a lack of notification of users of possible issues. I am a longtime member of a figure skating forum which also just moved to a new platform. We had almost daily mass/all user pms when the change was made, telling us how to use common features if they were different from before, or to warn of large scale problems, if they cropped up.

With this forum, I would think there would have been a way to direct message users with, for example, the large [username]+1 issue. I was affected, never even noticed it for weeks – I logged in the same as always (same password, it never stopped me from getting in as usual), I started learning my way around the new forum, made no complaints – didn’t like it, but understood a change had to be made. But I went for weeks just assuming some features and subforums had been lost – but it was actually just that my account was affected. Couldn’t affected users have gotten some kind of pm notice about that, using a search for accounts with the +1 to identify those affected? Sure, a few folks might really have a legitimate “1” on the end of their username, but that wouldn’t be too many false positives, and a disclaimer in the message would have addressed that possibility. Yes, there were discussion threads on issues – but if you don’t even know you have a problem, why would you go reading a glitch thread?

Again, I think the COTH forum staff have been understanding the users are stakeholders, and have potentially legitimate concerns, and I do appreciate and thank you all for that.

If it’s at night it might be due to Devs working on updates. I’d start tracking times to list so maybe Mod1 can see how that lines up

Are you scrolling with the browser scroll, or the forum scroll? If you grab the forum dark green scroll bar and zip it to the top, it should take you to Post 1. Or, click that box where it currently says 962/962 and you’ll get an option to jump to any post # you want.

Yep, replies appear “out top” in sequential timestamp order

There’s a whole FAQ section that’s been referenced many times, with almost anything you could want to know how to do

1 Like

Whoa, when was that? This forum? I never saw anything like that. The tech help forum has been where to find help for a long time, and the banners at the top (we have one now, unless you’ve dismissed it) are where universal “heads up” notices can be found.

I think the easiest way to scroll to the top is to hit the thread name at the top of the screen.
Screen shot, yellow arrow is what I mean.

But a better question is, what off the menu on the left side do you want to see? You might be able to find what you are looking for by not going to the first post at all, but by hitting the thing they call the hamburger menu in the upper right corner.

Are you seeing the nested replies automatically or are you hitting the option to show them?
For me they are not there unless I ask them to show. I wonder if this is a setting?

This forum has never been a forum that they sent us all member Private Messages about stuff. Gosh, I can only imagine how many responses that would get them asking the same questions with them having to respond to each one.
I personally would have found them sending out PMs about this very annoying.
I like it that we have one place for all this stuff. If you want to learn from it you can, if you do not want to read it you can just ignore it.

I understand what Rallycairn is saying because I had that problem before I learned how to use things. On a long thread there is a certain amount of pause when using the scroll bar, even when things are working amazingly. For me it has done just what is described, scroll it to the what looks like the top (the top of my screen), and when the screen regenerates I realize I am not to the top of the thread yet.

3 Likes

They said it was on another forum they used. The sentence above what you quoted.

Was there an answer to the earlier question about designating the original poster when that person makes subsequent posts on the same thread? It was easier to keep track that way on the longer threads.

1 Like

Yes, is one more request they will be working on when the basic starting glitches are all fixed.

Good to keep reminding them, so they know is important.

1 Like

Known issue, on the list for the devs to address.

2 Likes

Just a FYI - the amazing Mod 1 has added to the original post of this thread the list of things they are aware of and plan to address.

3 Likes

That’s great information! Also thanks for the tip about just clicking on the Thread heading to get back to the top.

2 Likes

Great, thanks!

@Rallycairn The more I post in this new forum the easier it gets. So just ask and someone will help you. It does have lots of neat features, I am sure lots more neat features than I will ever know about.

If you hit the forum category name (in this case Technical Help Forum) that is just under the thread title name at the top, it will take you back to the forum category. (so that works just like the thread name, but takes you to the forum not the start of the thread)

5 Likes

And for those of us who’ve been here since day one of Discourse, I still learn new ways to do things all the time! :star_struck: :clap:

1 Like

I’ve been all over clicking the forum/category name to get back out “top”, I never thought to click the thread title at the top :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

@JB is it :joy: or is it :flushed: ? :stuck_out_tongue:

:joy: :joy: then :flushed: :flushed: then :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

:grin:

1 Like