Unlimited access >

New Forum Fun, Questions and Glitch Reports

Whoa, when was that? This forum? I never saw anything like that. The tech help forum has been where to find help for a long time, and the banners at the top (we have one now, unless you’ve dismissed it) are where universal “heads up” notices can be found.

I think the easiest way to scroll to the top is to hit the thread name at the top of the screen.
Screen shot, yellow arrow is what I mean.

But a better question is, what off the menu on the left side do you want to see? You might be able to find what you are looking for by not going to the first post at all, but by hitting the thing they call the hamburger menu in the upper right corner.

Are you seeing the nested replies automatically or are you hitting the option to show them?
For me they are not there unless I ask them to show. I wonder if this is a setting?

This forum has never been a forum that they sent us all member Private Messages about stuff. Gosh, I can only imagine how many responses that would get them asking the same questions with them having to respond to each one.
I personally would have found them sending out PMs about this very annoying.
I like it that we have one place for all this stuff. If you want to learn from it you can, if you do not want to read it you can just ignore it.

I understand what Rallycairn is saying because I had that problem before I learned how to use things. On a long thread there is a certain amount of pause when using the scroll bar, even when things are working amazingly. For me it has done just what is described, scroll it to the what looks like the top (the top of my screen), and when the screen regenerates I realize I am not to the top of the thread yet.

3 Likes

They said it was on another forum they used. The sentence above what you quoted.

Was there an answer to the earlier question about designating the original poster when that person makes subsequent posts on the same thread? It was easier to keep track that way on the longer threads.

1 Like

Yes, is one more request they will be working on when the basic starting glitches are all fixed.

Good to keep reminding them, so they know is important.

1 Like

Known issue, on the list for the devs to address.

2 Likes

Just a FYI - the amazing Mod 1 has added to the original post of this thread the list of things they are aware of and plan to address.

3 Likes

That’s great information! Also thanks for the tip about just clicking on the Thread heading to get back to the top.

2 Likes

Great, thanks!

@Rallycairn The more I post in this new forum the easier it gets. So just ask and someone will help you. It does have lots of neat features, I am sure lots more neat features than I will ever know about.

If you hit the forum category name (in this case Technical Help Forum) that is just under the thread title name at the top, it will take you back to the forum category. (so that works just like the thread name, but takes you to the forum not the start of the thread)

5 Likes

And for those of us who’ve been here since day one of Discourse, I still learn new ways to do things all the time! :star_struck: :clap:

1 Like

I’ve been all over clicking the forum/category name to get back out “top”, I never thought to click the thread title at the top :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

@JB is it :joy: or is it :flushed: ? :stuck_out_tongue:

:joy: :joy: then :flushed: :flushed: then :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

:grin:

1 Like

Circling back to the topic of posts getting flagged and hidden, didn’t the previous flag/report feature have a place to add a comment with a reason for the report? Wouldn’t that make it easier for the mods to see what needs attention?

This one depends on the reason you choose. IIRC (going off memory here!) spam and it’s inappropriate don’t give you a reply box, but something else does give you room to explain your report…

Good to know, thanks.

So choosing the “Something Else” option does give the option to fill in why you’re flagging something. Inappropriate and Spam do not. A recent very foul mouthed poster’s posts were hidden once they were flagged, but there was an option to “view hidden content” or something like that so people could choose to read the nastiness or not.

1 Like

I want to thank the powers that be for restoring the function that keeps what you wrote on the window when you are kicked out of a thread by accessing some link off site or just need to go before posting.

Before I had to retype the whole post, now when I go back in, is still there, wonderful!

2 Likes

I have a question.

Can I tell who the posters are that liked my post(s)?
I get a notification for say one of the likes but if there are more than one like can I tell who the others are that liked it?

I dug around for a bit and did not find anything so I am asking.

(Not a feature we need or anything, just wondering if there is a way.)