Unlimited access >

New Forum Fun, Questions and Glitch Reports

There is. Here you go.

Also check out “How do I navigate within a thread” here: FAQ -- Tips for Using the Site

Let me show you. You won’t be able to ignore until TL 2 (see “what are trust levels” on the FAQ for more info.)

There is.

The left most avatar image is the OP. If you don’t know who that is, hover over the picture and it will tell you.

Yep, the devs are clearly working hard on solving the loading issues. It’s improved quite a bit already, yay! :partying_face:

2 Likes

Taking on average 60 seconds to load a page now, so faster than it was, but still slow. I did find for those looking to move to the last post of a long thread, you can click the bottom time in the timeline on the right hand side of the thread once it’s opened.

Like this, click the 5hr, and you’re at the bottom. This helps if it’s a thread you’ve read on the old version, but haven’t opened here. The next time you open it, it SHOULD take you to the last unread.

1 Like

Are all these navigation options supposed to work on an iPhone? I’m not seeing the navigation bar on the side, or much of anything else along those lines. And the whole thing is still slower than molasses for me.

Also, I’ve been posting on this board for almost exactly 20 years, but I have to jump through a bunch of random hoops to work my way up the “trust levels”? Seriously??

1 Like

Things are zippier this morning.

Right now, it takes 2-3 seconds to change pages. :sunglasses:

So far this morning things are MUCH faster! Thank you to everyone who is working so hard behind the scenes!

This was answered up above. I will find it for you and give you a link to the answer. It is easy once you know the trick.

Thank you once again, Mod1! You are amazing!

Thank you for posting this. I was wondering why some links I hit were not opening a new tab.

Joanne, here is the answer that mod1 gave me above.
The click the number option works amazingly! I did it quite a bit yesterday when things were running slower and it took me right to the end with out an issue.

Something I like with this new forum is that the suggested topics at the bottom appear to all be current threads that I have posted in and have new comments. It is an easy way to catch up on those posts. Good job on whoever made the suggested topics so functional. (On the old forum suggested topics were frequently outdated threads that had nothing to do with anything going on at the moment.)

Yep. See the green rectangle in the bottom right hand corner? Click it to access the thread navigation slider.

A curious observation, the Rolex clock is showing for me at times a few minutes late, or ahead, without a reason I can figure?

Not a site working glitch, just noticing that, wondering if that clock right now is interfering with other, or is it’s own program, separate from the web site programming?

[quote=“walktrot, post:20, topic:751072, full:true”]
This isn’t making it. I know a lot of work has gone into this and we need it. But it still has too many basic problems. It appears to offer a lot nifty features to play around with which is nice once you figure them out I’ll leave out errors and server errors I don’t like:.[/quote]

I know you posted this yesterday but give it some time. ALL upgrades have had issues for at least a few days, never mind a whole platform change

Not sure what you mean? Can you take a screen shot and paste it (yep that’s a thing!)? Do you have the preview window on? If not, bottom right of the box you type in has “show preview”

No but there are post counts and a nifty slide bar that moves things along fast :slight_smile:

The bottom of a comment says if there are replies which do open under that comment if you click. Comments as replies DO appear in chronological order

what does “get a thread” mean?

Did you click the forum header, aka Technical Help Forum?

check the FAQ thread, not sure about that one

They’re hopefully going to get that back - not a high priority feature

what does this mean?

If you’re dying to know, hover over the 4h or 3d

no idea what these mean

Well that’s kinda rude? You don’t think they’ve already been busting their humps under deadlines to get this site up for WEEKS, so advertisers can get their ads back up? There aren’t pages. Not up for discussion, not part of the Discourse platform. Order of replies aren’t a problem, still all chronological

Complaints can’t be there for weeks - you’re just now seeing all this and thinking it’s all broken

screen shots help

Discourse isn’t a new platform. You DO know COTH developers didn’t design this, right?

1 Like

Like, paying advertisers who want their ads up and running? :laughing:

2 Likes

I am guessing they mean in the ‘latest’ list. Where unless you exclude the CE and OT topics they are part of the list.

I admit I am confused by this advice. When I over over the 4d in a post I get nothing. When I hover over 5m ago at the edge of a post I get 5m ago in a little window.

What is the bell for?
When I hover over it, it does not give any information about what it is.
I assume it is some type of notification.

So the timestamp hovering is odd. If I hover over trub’s 2d I get a timestamp, but not if I hover over SmareAlex’s 2d. In the end does it REALLY matter if it was days ago? :woman_shrugging:

is that on a mobile? The bell for me is beside the dropdown for Watching, Tracking, Normal, Muted. Did you click it?

It is not on mobile in this case (it could be on mobile, I have no idea). It is on a PC. It is the same bell that is in your screen shot, just under the green bar.

I did not click it. I am not one of those ‘click random things I do not know what they do’ people. I am a ‘it will break if I use it wrong’ person so random clicking does not happen.
I just ask.

On the time stamp thing - I think it does matter in some cases. Two days ago is kind of vague. It is a reasonable question. If it is not an option (to have access to a date and time stamp that offers more information) then it is not an option, but still a reasonable question.

Edit to add a screen shot that better shows where the bell is.

Go ahead and click it! :smiley: The bell gives you thread-specific options (with explanations for what they mean) for how you’d like to track a given thread.

You can also set global tracking preferences via your Preferences. You can set it to track threads you’ve spent a certain amount of time reading, or ones in which you’ve posted, etc.

3 Likes

Oh, that bell to the side! Yeah, it’s the same - click to alter your subscription status

@Simkie do you recall if we had this convo about the time stamp? I’m pretty sure this is it, it’s minutes/hours/days, not an actual timestamp but I could be mistaken. Have you seen this inconsistency with hovering to see an actual timestamp?

Are the display issues you reported earlier now resolved?

The site should be a lot zippier this morning. :star_struck: Please let me know if the performance is still an issue for anyone throughout the day.

2 Likes

It is much zippier! Thank you so much!

1 Like