Unlimited access >

New Forum Fun, Questions and Glitch Reports

I’ll check desktop, but yeah, every post has an actual timestamp.

On mobile, if you click the time (4m or 12d or whatever) you get the actual date of the post, along with some other stuff, like a link to that specific post, option to email, etc.

I assume you get the same if you click on desktop.

You also get an actual date as you move the thread slider

On a desktop here - It does not click. No option to click it.

Edit to add - On this post, right after I made it, it offered the option to pick it and it did give me the information you stated. I went around trying other posts, by me and by others, and they did not offer the option to click in any way still.

But not every m or h or d is a clickable link, or not clickable all the time. I’m not sure yet what triggers it. In my screen shot above (desktop), one 2d was clickable and the other wasn’t. On desktop you don’t even have to click (if it’s clickable), just hover

As of right now, none of the post with a 1m, 4m, 11m etc stamp are clickable. I’ll check back in a few minutes.

Now my post above offers nothing (not clickable and hovering does nothing), but JB’s most recent post gives information when I hover and is clickable.

I don’t know if this is helpful information re: time stamps, but we can adjust the cutoff number of days before which a post is marked with the date and after which, the post is marked with Xd or Xm (have passed since it was posted.)

It was originally set to 14 days. I updated it to 7 days yesterday, but we can certainly adjust it to whatever the community prefers by consensus.

Also, in case anyone didn’t notice, on any post, you’ll see this time posted marker, and also to the right, by the slider, you’ll see the date it was posted, in addition to what the post number is, out of the total number of posts in the thread.

In the example below, the comment was posted 9 minutes ago, on Nov. 11, and it’s the 121st post out of 124 on the thread. That can help you keep your bearings without pagination as you’re scrolling through a thread.

Also, in this example, the “6m ago” indicated when the last post of the thread was posted, and if you click it, it’ll take you to the end of the thread.

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 9.10.05 AM

2 Likes

The date on the right is not always accurate for when it was posted though… Because clearly 23 hours ago was not on November 11th. (Unless some clock is set very wrong.)

Now, the post above this one (that the screen shot was from) says 1d and the Nov 11 did change to Nov 10.

So far, none of MY posts are clickable for a timestamp. Right now trub’s last one is and HUH, now that I’m in this box typing a reply, my posts ARE clickable. Very random

I’ve confirmed they’re all clickable on mobile :woman_shrugging:

Right now I can click JB’s and Simkie’s time for a time stamp. Nothing else.

Edit to add - after I posted neither of those two posts would let me click the time stamp and only my newest post would.

Does anyone know how to search the forum yet? I’ve looked for the button everywhere to no avail. Google results are still redirecting to the home page.

The search button was here before it was disabled.
I am guessing it is still disabled while they fix things.

The display issue has been on and off. It only happens when I’m at the main forum level, like if I click the C. At least it’s intermittent and seems to be only occasionally. The other day it was all the time.

1 Like

Your screenshot above is identical to what I’ve seen whenever there’s a bandwidth or server issue. The page starts to paint and can’t finish. Not unique to this platform, just one of those speed issue things, in the same family as the gateway errors. :slight_smile:

Yes, I’d wondered if maybe it was moved or something. Thanks

They temporarily disabled the Search feature because it was bogging down the site performance. I expect it will be available again later today or tomorrow. I did also inform them of the issue with Google search results, so that’s on the list to address as well.

1 Like
     ?

just saying .. what might I be looking for ?!

please

I’m a little slow on the uptake, but I also just realized there’s a clickable date at the top of the navigation slider on the right side of the thread that will take you right back to the first post, just like the time at the end takes you to the end.

So, you can click that or the thread title at the top of the page to return you to the start of the thread.

Whatever could you be referring to, @Zu_Zu?

Adding color is a little more awkward here @Zu_Zu. Simkie made up a tutorial for it here.

(FAQ -- Tips for Using the Site)

Oh my heavens… performance is much improved!! :star_struck: :pizza: :wine_glass: :birthday: :cookie: :beer: :clinking_glasses: :tada: (whatever is appropriate).

All I gotta say is for those who have been majorly complaining about perceived problems (I know, our perception is our view of the world) have never lived through using a heavily application daily and gone through a major platform or application release. One can test and test and load test and it just isn’t the same thing as going live.

FWIW, there is load testing software that can be used to simulate user work load… they are often expensive and take a lot of work to use effectively… for this application probably not worth the time and effort it would have been on COTH’s side). So back to the ads and know the devs are working and we’re seeing the results.

I do have one snively whine… the forums that show up in the main forum list (a la the old style presentation which I have configured) are not in the same order they used to be :blush:

3 Likes