Official Tokyo Olympic Eventing Thread

Apologies if anyone has asked/answered this, but how is the Netherlands allowed to compete in dressage with those neon orange coats? I thought there was a dress code for shads (e.g., tasteful/dark colors), but I’ve seen these traffic cone-esque things worn in both Dressage and Eventing this Olympics.

The rules were recently changed so that the coats just have to be approved by the athlete’s NF. Personally, I don’t mind them. I think it’s nice to see a little more individuality. You certainly know which country they’re representing.

12 Likes

I appreciate individuality, but I do think they look bad.

You aren’t kidding when you say you know what country they’re from though, haha

2 Likes

I like seeing the color and flash. It’s one thing that equestrian sports could do to become a little more acceptable to the general public instead of the jokes about prancing around in your tuxedo.

8 Likes

CBC sports online did not carry round 2
:frowning:

1 Like

it is not just a seemingly random choice of colour.

It goes back to the Dutch Royal family name. The House of “Oranje” (Orange)

2 Likes

I never said it was random.

I said it’s ugly, in my opinion.

It could be the color of jesus christ himself and it’s still ugly.

2 Likes

It is definitely quieter than it used to be around the COTH forums during the big events. I don’t know if there is one main spot on the socials where folks have gone, but I think some of the most interesting comments and discussions are still here. Too much absolutely irrelevant noise on the socials for me.

3 Likes

Speaking of colors, Sam Watson in his dark green coat on his dun/buckskin horse was a stunning combination.

I also love Spain’s grey coats with red and gold trim.

15 Likes

I love Spain’s and I also love Sweden’s navy jackets with the light blue trim.

2 Likes

I wonder if part of the problem is the timing of the events. The straight dressage was mostly in the super early morning for those of us living in the US, and I think there’s been more discussion after the fact. Eventing dressage, while it’s mostly in prime time here is … eventing dressage. It just doesn’t have the same pull. I know that I don’t care as much about the dressage since most of them won’t stay on that score anyway, but I enjoy watching to educate myself.

I think xc will have a lot of discussion given it’s in prime time and one of the most popular equestrian events.

2 Likes

There is also more than one thread going. Moderation made a section of the forum for just the Olympics, some people are using that area and some are still posting in various other areas of the forum.
The dressage thread there has almost 500 posts. So not what I would call quiet.

I think you have this backward. While we watched the straight dressage early in the am here (on the east coast) 5am EST = 6pm there. It was taking place at night.

Conversely we saw Doug’s round at night, 7:30pm on east coast, which was 8:30 in the am there. It’s 13 hours time difference.

Em

Edited my comment for clarity. What I meant was the live streams for straight dressage were in the early morning for those of us living in the US. The morning events in Japan are taking place during prime time here and vice versa for the evening events.

1 Like

Boyd did an Instagram story takeover on the USA Today account! It’s pretty great! Take a look

2 Likes

I can’t watch any of the equestrian events until after the fact IF the stupid DVR records the correct event🙄. And that’s not even the full replay with good commentary. Trying to watch and keep up with what’s going on elicits latent rage daily.

2 Likes

Some is us are working and come lurk at night for updates :joy:

2 Likes

I LOVE them, but orange is my colour :orange_heart:

2 Likes

If you’re Canadian, try the French CBC, sometimes with commentary, sometimes without.

Body Martin is doing an Instagram takeover for USAToday on Instagram right now.

https://instagram.com/usatoday?utm_medium=copy_link

Hopefully he takes some time to focus on his test :sweat_smile:

1 Like