Official Tokyo Olympic Eventing Thread

Maybe they didn’t factor in his held time?

1 Like

Yikes! Phillip at the water!

3 Likes

There’s that, but it looks like there was a jump penalty on top of that.

I see the argument against it, but I’m usually glad they did because it’s educational to be able to see what goes wrong.

3 Likes

Wow hats off to Phillip! Great recovery!

1 Like

It’s just the hold time!

1 Like

I don’t see one on the results fence by fence. Potentially a flag penalty but I don’t think there will be one.

Just time - 4.6

1 Like

Many countries aren’t quite as squeamish as the U.S. and have no issue in showing how the accident occurred. If a rider is obviously seriously injured most broadcasts don’t linger on the scene.

2 Likes

Phew! Thank goodness!

the falls that i have seen do not appear horrific, no horses flipping

maybe that is why they ok to replay them?

3 Likes

Uh oh. Laura Collett’s ride is showing up as eliminated on the live scores :astonished::astonished:

Phillip was held and he was right after her. I wonder what happened.

I’m not sure that it’s a squeamishness thing. I’m just thinking about US football where someone gets injured and they tend to show the replays of incident over and over.

I’m not seeing that in the results. That would be an absolute shame!

1 Like

I’m seeing it too but she’s still in her position rather than down at the bottom, which is weird. Maybe it’s an error?

1 Like

Yeah, I really hope it’s just an error. That would be horrible!

Such a shame that the Japanese rider had a run out. They were doing so well!

1 Like

There is a middle ground between Wellington and the NFL. I’ve never seen continuous repeats of a horse or rider injury shown on a live broadcast.

I think it’s OK to show a fall once (as long as there isn’t a fatal or gruesome injury to horse or rider.)

1 Like

I think it’s just an error. She shows as double clear on the FEI live score page: https://tokyo2020.live.fei.org/live/EventingCrossCountry

Weird, that’s where I got that screenshot from.

ETA: Never mind, I reloaded again and it’s gone now. Whew!

2 Likes

Has his breastplate broken where it attaches to the girth? What is that leather flapping around?

1 Like