Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

Hmm. It’s interesting that they are required just for that division and not across the board for classes in hand. I have certainly seen a few naughty babies act up in my day.

2 Likes

He can run… those still shots are amazing… watching that baby like a hawk and keeping perfectly in stride.

8 Likes

Really beautiful foal. The mare may have been injured so they showed the foal in hand. It’s better to get foals moving freely but obviously that doesn’t always happen for a plethora of reasons.

1 Like

What? Quite a few of Iron Spring’s youngstock sales videos are in hand especially since they use a lot from DaD and all DHSB classes are in hand.

12 Likes

That was really interesting. Also, I’d love to know how he got those dapples to pop like that on the brown broodmare. Lol.

Thanks for posting it!

3 Likes

He was an occasional COTH poster a number of years ago. He’s great!

10 Likes

Holy He__ - he’s gorgeous! (Why are the gorgeous ones so often gay?!?! {not to mention 40 years too young})

The farm and horses are beautiful too. Oh look! They’re well fed!

15 Likes

de

3 Likes

They always show foals in hand at USDF breed shows - including at Devon. The dam is in the video - she is being kept on the inside of the triangle by another handler. Look around the 14 second mark - It’s a Friesian mare (foal is by a Dutch WB stallion who himself is by a Dutch WB stallion and out of a German WB mare). Some foals actually show better running the triangle without their dam, esp. if they have been trained on the triangle at home and esp. if being run by their regular handler (as in this case). It seemed to me watching that video that the filly knew the drill and was able to “show off” very nicely while remaining pretty nonplussed about not following her dam around.

9 Likes

I spaced. I have no idea why I thought that was a video of inspections. Probably because KS was talking about inspections and foals running beside their dams.

2 Likes

My recollection was she was talking about her home video of the horses in that pen partly made of vehicles… And her claim was no one shows foals/young horses in hand.

9 Likes

What a breath of fresh air on this thread. Quinnten sounds like a really wonderful example of what hard work and willingness to take risk actually looks like. He’s thoughtful about his entire process from conception through under saddle with an eye towards creating a true legacy in their registries of choice.

The contrast between this and puppy milling out mares for profit is truly striking.

37 Likes

She’s a horrible person in terms of braiding too. I can’t tell you how many times myself and fellow ethical braiders have had to pick up her slack when she simply doesn’t show up. There are tons of braiding horror stories out there, I’m baffled how trainers are still getting duped. She is good at braiding… when she actually shows up.

17 Likes

That was a really good article and beautiful pictures.

6 Likes

Doesn’t she just blame that on others not showing up? People she claims to have hired to do the work being a jerk and not showing up to do the work they were hired for?
I thought I had seen that excuse used for braiding too.

15 Likes

If you go to their website you will see that their mares look amazing and all that stuff you would expect to see from a reputable breeder.

8 Likes

You did. And the trademark public discussion of the person’s private life (I recall KS claimed some braider working for her borrowed money and maybe something about medications they take). Just really lowlife/high drama stuff. And always spewed all over facebook for all to see with zero recognition that it all reflects mostly on her, not the people she’s ‘exposing’.

17 Likes

The breed shows are the only “division” in USDF where horses are shown in hand. Helmets are required for all riders and handlers in USDF shows - protective headgear for riders is actually required by USEF regulations and reinforced by USDF.

I don’t know if USEF requires helmets for in-hand classes for other breeds but if handlers don’t wear them in hunter breeding classes, then obviously it isn’t a USEF mandate.

2 Likes

But you may be right - the mare may have been unsound and that is another reason why they elected to run the foal by itself. At any rate, it seems clear to me that the filly in that video was not unaccustomed to trotting the triangle in hand without following its dam. She displayed utter trust in her handler and went out there and performed the way she had been trained.

7 Likes

Often times she’s the one that doesn’t show up and may or may not have scheduled someone to do the work for her, then doesn’t pay. And the excuses for not showing up are spectacular.

My very first show as a semi-pro, she duped me in to picking up a small account for her because she had to cancel last minute; I don’t remember if it was an alleged injury or illness or the saga when her dog got loose. Luckily the account paid me directly but the actual pro I was working for made it very clear to never do business with her again.

But there have been several times she’s simply not showed up and didn’t schedule a replacement. Though the theme is always the same: it’s always someone else’s fault.

27 Likes