Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

There’s always the possibility she has a contract for X amount of Alfalfa loads for a certain price through the year. She may be needing to fill a quota.

There are big Alfalfa farms especially around Casa Grande, AZ that offer such arrangements.

There are also some people that buy loads from there and sell a few bales here and there for substantially more.

It is rumored that the hay from there is not the greatest and the fields get little rest. Good hay depends on several factors that can be hard to achieve in large production settings.

5 Likes

I would buy some gates first. They’re like, $200ish, at Tractor Supply.

24 Likes

I still don’t get the, “Alfalfa from Arizona is amazeballs and anything else is crap!”

There are many places that produce really nice alfalfa and other hays across the US. Plus, not every horse needs or does well on alfalfa.

Generally, I don’t care where my hay comes from as long as it’s the quality and type I’m after. I try to go local or the closest supplier if I can just due to carbon footprint stuff.

17 Likes

Quinnten is one my favorite handlers ever. He is amazing

16 Likes

I’m in Arizona, at a show and breeding barn. We don’t feed Arizona hay. Ours comes from Colorado. So I do not get the woo woo over Arizona alfalfa.

21 Likes

This feels way more nefarious than just negligent.

3 Likes

dont be silly…why get a gate when you truck will do :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Yep and the horses are basically on a dry lot. So in reality they will inhale a pad or two of alfalfa in an hour. Much better to keep them eating a grass hay or a grass alfalfa mix. Like Timothy or orchard or brome.

10 Likes

I find that whole setup so puzzling. Doesn’t she need to use her truck(s) for, you know, driving? Who has two extra trucks lying around? Isn’t the better solution to take one of those trucks, drive to to Tractor Supply, exchange some green and white slips of paper for a gate, bring it back on the truck, and install the gate?

14 Likes

Wasn’t the excuse the farm owner was doing fencing repairs? Personally, I’d keep my horses out of that paddock, but I guess I’m clueless about using trucks as temporary fences, except for possibly in case of an emergency, which getting crappy video of your horses isn’t IMHO.

8 Likes

As a boarder if the farm owner had missing fencing/gates for my horse’s turnout area in non-emergency circumstances… I’d bounce real fast.

4 Likes

I have a feeling KS felt the need to chase her horses around for a video and made the truck decision on her own in the first space she felt was usable based in her posts. Anyone with common sense would have waited until the fence was fixed.

10 Likes

Yes, I kind of feel like this was not a case of her turn out not having fencing but more of a case of her wanting to use this area even though the fencing was not done/fixed.

5 Likes

I’m betting it “disappeared” because barn staff were trying to feed appropriate amounts to KS’s horses.

26 Likes

You’re not the first person to speculate as much!

3 Likes

She boards at that farm, she doesn’t own it.

Still, she has a weird and unprofessional way of advertising young stock.

No good conformation photos, no Dam line or accomplishments of Dam. No walking or trotting of horses in hand, only videos of horses being chased around an enclosure and (obviously) horses do not look well nourished. Not what most people want to see.

Why don’t proper conformation photos exist, especially a square, straight hind view? The (late) mare that is apparently the Dam of many of these youngsters, looks cow hocked and ewe necked in the photos I’ve seen, though there don’t seem to be any proper conformation photos of her either.

12 Likes

Here’s her claim that those commenting on her craptastic video don’t know what they are talking about.

4 Likes

Well, be sure to inform him that he’s a newb who doesn’t understand young horses aren’t shown in hand would you?

5 Likes

Right, worse case scenario, you sell them or take them with you when you burn that bridge and have to move again.

1 Like

I’d rather pay $200 for a gate than $200+ for a vet bill.

14 Likes