Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

Unfortunately it backfired on you guys. This cute keyboard warrior entourage has only gained me business. I’m not sure why you all think this is devastating and the lies here are rampant. Anyone that knows me and reads the ridiculousness immediately discounts it because of the lies on here. Oh well. You all just keep on keeping on!

Did people buy some of your horses and give them new homes, where they will be fed and cared for?

That’s great!

Thanks for updating everyone.

33 Likes

So, that would be business you already have. It’s the people who don’t know you and will be horrified by these pictures that the information is aimed at.

Look, say what you will re: the stories many, many, many people from all over the country are saying about you - pictures do not lie. The pictures are countering everything you say about your programme, in particular your feeding.

Feed your horses. Show your broodmares plump and shiny. Show your youngsters at a healthy weight and shiny even when shaggy coated. Or please find homes for them where they can all achieve this bare minimum of care.

There are simply too many unconnected people telling similar stories about you from multiple states. It does not stand to reason that they are all wrong and only you are right. Spend less time mocking people on facebook and responding here with LOLs and get these horses taken care of. And don’t bring any more into being until the ones you have are healthy and have all found soft landings.

46 Likes

How nice for you.

What “backfired”? The photos you posted here of very underfed broodmares and foals? Now everyone wants to do business with you because of this thread?

You honestly don’t get it do you? No one here gives a damn about your business, or about you personally. We care that you are not an educated breeder, seem to have no desire to become a responsible breeder, and that you are not feeding your horses properly.

You don’t need to be here to defend your roaringly successful business if you are doing so well then, do you? :roll_eyes:

Strange that you would waste your time online, being nasty to the friend of someone who actually bought a weanling from you which was left in your care and was collected in this https://forum.chronofhorse.com/uploads/default/optimized/3X/f/0/f02334e468223463a9bcd4632f99c23c2f37db75_2_1035x729.jpeg condition, when you claim such loyalty from people who “know you” and such success after showing photos of your neglected horses on this thread.

Not born yesterday Shearer, but keep on with your claims of success. Most people here who have seen the photos of your horses (taken and posted by you) and read your words , also posted by you, are horrified. You claim that it boosts your credibility to have your very sub-par horsekeeping practices shown (by you) here?

This mare’s condition has done wonders for your “business” as well? https://forum.chronofhorse.com/uploads/default/original/3X/b/b/bb259cd4a13799fe2b1c41942e3bd7d2e8c3fc12.jpeg

Sorry, I didn’t just fall of the turnip truck and neither have the other members of this forum.

Pop off and enjoy your great success with your “business”, which you have admitted here is actually a “hobby”, but don’t try to fool people who know better. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

44 Likes

KS now reports on FB that she moved the sabino pony back to Arizona. Where they apparently have hay.

6 Likes

Well, two flakes each, anyway. There is one extra in the background but that probably belongs to another pony since we now know 2 flakes is the max serving of majik AZ alfalfa. :roll_eyes:

This is key and something that keeps getting missed. People care about the animals.

Even if we assume for the sake of argument everyone with a bad KS story is a lying liar who lies - all untrue, still the pictures posted by KS and the info provided by KS - alone, without any stories - tell a horrific story. I will never forget the pic of the mare and aborted foal in a bed of manure. And she posted that. I cannot fathom what would cause me to put that out there for public consumption. It would be the lowest moment in my animal husbandry life, not something I’d post about.

It defies any/all explanation.

40 Likes

Whatever.

I’m not interested in following this person’s every move and I think I’m not alone.

Anyone who has seen the photos of the horses under her care, or who has read her words on this forum (and apparently elsewhere), and are still willing to do business with her, get what they deserve.

The horses, and the potentially clueless buyers lose.

11 Likes

It really does.

Apparently any attention is good attention to this person.

5 Likes

Well, to the extent that COTH serves as a searchable BBB for the horse world, it’s useful for people to know where scammers and frauds and abusive horse people relocate to. Especially if someone is local to that area and doing research

16 Likes

That’s the pony moving to Arizona from what you are saying, not the person, right?

If someone bought the pony the pony is likely to be better off now.

Well, it does work. People pay more than they should for horses they are rescuing all the time. So maybe that is the theory KS is going with now, get people to feel sorry for her animals so they will just toss money at her to make sure the animals are safe.

7 Likes

Worked for that Cyril Bertheau character.

Sold his abused horse for more than it would have gotten otherwise because people were so eager to get it away from him.

22 Likes

I have been pretty aghast at the numbers too. My geldings get 15 lbs of alfalfa, free choice grass hay, alfalfa pellets with supplements (to carry them) and my two hard keepers get a 6 lbs a day of grain. Admittedly, I like them all a bit on the chonky side, but I can’t imagine feeding broodmares in foal with less than these guys eat…unless they were little itty bitty things.

9 Likes

We do need to keep in mind the size of the bales. 2 flakes off a 2 string bale (typical in my area) will be 5 to 8 pounds. There are huge 3 string bales too. I think those are about 8 pounds per flake?

1 Like

Depending on what farm bales the alfalfa the flakes that break off can be very small, 2lbs if lucky. It also depends on the quality of the hay, if they are lightly baled, vs nicely packed even a large flake can be less than 5lbs. Heavily stemmed bales also weigh less per flake because the stems take up a lot of space and do not pack together well.
Average feeding per horse with good heavy 3 string bales is 1 bale per week. I have fed almost 2 bales per week/per horse when the bales are light. This is where we should go back to paying per pound, especially for a squeeze, vs per bale. Thats what the farms are paid by, per pound.

10 Likes

Size of bales absolutely vary. I’ve been up about three hours. Mine have already gotten two flakes each and it’s not 10:30am.
The photos don’t lie. It’s actually bizarre she posted them. In my opinion the horses are starving and someone should call animal welfare on her. Everywhere she goes.

26 Likes

Not sure about Marion County
Animal Services (Ocala), but one county adjacent, as long as there is hay on the property- even if horses are thin/ribby they will warn/discuss feeding suggestions.
Generally Animal Services will come back a few weeks later to re-check horses, at least they are supposed to.
But I’ve seen cases fall through the cracks and despite numerous citizen complaints,
the skinny, underfed horses
languish w/ poor care.

4 Likes

My easy keeper hunter gelding who is on a DIET can eat approx 20lbs of food a day (1.5% of his target weight). Seems far too little for a broodmare in foal or nursing.

10 Likes

My lean mare (ex eventer, turned SJ) gets 5 flakes a day. 2am 1 lunch 2pm 1 night check.

When I groomed for my old trainer once at a show, I asked when he wanted the horses fed (hay). He said “whenever they don’t have food” i.e. they are grazing animals and need access to food at all times. He competed at WC finals, but KS would probably say he endorses her, too :joy:

9 Likes

In my previous incarnation as a shelter veterinarian, working with county and city animal control on cruelty and neglect cases, can confirm it is VERY HARD to bring these to court… And the people are good at exploiting the letter of the law.

If they have a bale of hay in the barn, I know and the ACO knows it should be in front of the horse, but of course the owner “just fed” right before we got there and that bale is for later… So we have to educate them and follow up. Or if someone “didn’t realize” animals need water every day, or that you can’t duct tape a horse/dog/whatever’s mouth shut, even though any rational person knows it’s complete BS and you start to hate the human race, you have to educate and follow up.

We’d have to mark bags of feed so the owner couldn’t just keep showing the same one every week.

Even when we’d get a prosecutor willing to go to bat for the animals, and a judge with some animal background, and get a conviction, the owner generally got fines they couldn’t pay, no court-ordered mental health help, and told they could no longer own animals… Which gets circumvented by said person picking up in the middle of the night and disappearing, to be heard of again a few months later when they start all over again a few counties over.

It sucks.

And, of course, there are all the ones who call the mayor and the sheriff screaming about how each animal removed is actually a service animal STOLEN by animal control and must be returned or the owner will SUE EVERYONE, at which point the mayor gets fed up and calls the sheriff who calls animal control and tells them to drop the case they painstakingly prepared and the poor animal victims have to go back, at which point owner does a flit.

…or the guy whose emaciated, sick herd of horses/cows/pack of dogs was removed was a big name in breeding 50 years ago, and he may be slipping a little, but, gosh, he’s a good ol’ boy, and used to go hunting with every big name in the area, and he’s got his own good ol’ boy veterinarian to vouch for him even though none of the animals have been in since forever, so it’s all overblown and GIVE THOSE ANIMALS BACK.

It’s awful in many ways --for the animal victims, and because what I’ve seen of the people is that they genuinely don’t seem to realize they are the problem, and there’s no system in place to follow across county lines and intervene before it happens again.

37 Likes