Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

Or the suffering of the horse

10 Likes

So true, that is in every manual of good stable management (besides common sense). But what I want to know is where in AZ she didnā€™t have sand.

19 Likes

So anyways there is a shock horror compilation circulating on FB from Katie Prudents recent USEF clinic, the same one that has a very positive writeup on the COTH magazine site. I canā€™t link to the video on FB as I saw it on private site, but Iā€™m sure everyone will see it soon enough. Itā€™s back to back 3 minutes of her shouting insults at junior riders and telling them to beat up their horses. They donā€™t beat up their horses or make them rear over, obviously. But itā€™s pretty ugly language and from an older school, like the I Stand by George Morris school.

Anyhow KS is on FB defending Katie Prudent saying beating up horses, pulling them over on top of you, and multiple trainers breaking their arms is all par for the course in jumpers. So much for her idea of ammie friendly horses

She also has a confusing post that seems to amount to getting fired as a braider by a trainer. It isnā€™t clear why.

15 Likes

I really donā€™t think she (Katie P) literally meant the flip over comment. Probably an exaggeration of ā€œget the horse to stopā€ articulated inartfully. I actually didnā€™t think her tone was too bad, honestly (Iā€™m old) ā€“ expected worse.

8 Likes

Sand colic is a nightmare. (Any Colic is a nightmare.) But a gut distended with sand doesnā€™t often end well. Prevention is the key. Itā€™s a reality of life here in Florida. Being cognizant of how you feed, where you feed and having a prevention program in place. Florida especially the lower to upper central portions has what we call sugar sand. Fine sand. We are really through historic time a peninsula that has a bunch of sand dunes pushed from the Atlantic and the Gulf.

5 Likes

That is a step in the right direction. Hopefully you will discuss your feeding program with an equine nutritionist and take their advice on the diet required to get (and keep) your mares and foals in better condition.

8 Likes

Pfft. Now itā€™s the sands fault. Besides, KS told me directly that all she feeds is Arizona alfalfa and chia seeds. I remember specifically, because I had never heard of that before and questioned friends about it. Now, its a new contrite introduction? I hope she takes heed and gets advice from someone who knows what they are talking about.

7 Likes

There is an interesting video of a gray horse on KSā€™s public FB being ridden where the gray is constantly swishing the tail. Looks tight in the back and uncomfortable.

@Kasheare, Iā€™ve looked at your FB page upon your own invitation to do so. The last pictures posted of your mares was Dec 4. Itā€™s been well over a month, your horses should look much improved. Can you please post current pictures of these mares? Iā€™d be happy to be proven wrong and see them in excellent shape. Iā€™d be very happy to eat my hat and see them in good condition.

23 Likes

My photos were taking mid Nov. They already had a bit of time to look a little bit better.

I noticed the tail as well. Something does seem to be off with her back.

That grey mare in the video is apparently the daughter of this grey mareā€¦

IMG_1678

This is the one Kate says has an abdominal tumor of some kind.

Here is a picture of the same mare when she was a little younger and in better body condition.

This is the same mare as was seen in the video being ridden at the walk, bareback, by the farm worker, when she clearly was not sound in her hind end.

Who knowsā€¦ but to my eye, the damā€™s conformation does not seem ideal , especially behind. I canā€™t tell a lot about the offspring in that quick jumping clip, except that the tail wringing indicates the mare isnā€™t comfortable.

13 Likes

Holyā€¦

4 Likes

2 different grey mares.

I think the second one is a recip.

Still not OK.

1 Like

Yeahā€¦ kinda stunning and sad to see the loss of condition.

1 Like

Maybe she needs more chia seeds?

3 Likes

Alsoā€¦ that grey mare? She delivered a foal by Royce back on 04/22/23 per KSā€™ Facebook.

Looks like the mare lost a ton of weight while lactating and never recoveredā€¦ you can see in the second picture she was in better flesh the day she delivered in late April than she was in early November.

3 Likes

Homer would agree!

1 Like

Oh look, another stall with brown shavings. Disgusting.

Also, that mares conformation is, uhā€¦not what Iā€™d be breeding for jumping sport.

holy breeding random unproven mares to big name stallions.

Itā€™s an absolute JOKE that Kate has any intention or thought behind her breedingā€¦operation.

I have NO words :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

24 Likes

Just got fun, I did a little USEF stalking.

There are 7!!! horses registered with USEF who are sired by Royce.

One was bred by Margie herself.

One bred by Spy Coast Farm

One is Lillie Keenan.

One is Kate Shearer.

(The rest said birthplace: USA)

I find thisā€¦interesting in a lot of ways. Mainly Iā€™m wondering HOW did KS get a hold of such valuable semen??

2 Likes

What a difference:

KS (wherever she chooses to have these very high priced, fancy stallion babies foaled out at)

The very reputable Spy Coast Farm

8 Likes