Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

I almost bought a 2023 warmblood foal that was absolutely gorgeous and very very well bred with a dam that had proven wins in the AO hunters and sire was Arko III (many many winning hunter and jumper babies). He would have been $25-30k.

4 Likes

Some of the foals are extremely
cow hocked , i did a double take at the photos Strange hip angles also.

13 Likes

Yes. The hind ends are not optimal.

I donā€™t think we w seen any adult offspring of the ā€œprolificā€ black mare yet.

5 Likes

I was hoping YOU noticed too.
Hard to tell without videos or
better posed conformation shots, but some of those babies
donā€™t look like they would be too athletically inclined.

7 Likes

Some of those wonky hocks can also be attributed to the poor condition of the foals.

15 Likes

Yes Iā€™ve read about some of those problems down the road
when proper, balanced nutrition
is not provided. OCD s in the bones and joints is just one.

1 Like

Not a proper conformation shot but this shows the mareā€™s hind legs being rather close, and she seems to pass that on in some of the foals pictured.

https://forum.chronofhorse.com/uploads/default/original/3X/f/3/f3d97bb142f5722170f621680ec2556720b75a97.jpeg

3 Likes

Interesting. Coming into a new season I have seen stallion contracts stating not approved for ICIS. But Iā€™m curious how this is backed up by reg when the. DNA matches.

4 Likes

Going into February. I wonder if we will see healthier horses from KS, if she learn that flip flops are not horse appropriate, will she find homes for any of her horses, and horror of all horrors when will her mares start foaling? I worry about those mares and their babies.

7 Likes

None of the above will occur

13 Likes

This gave me a much needed giggle. I havenā€™t seen the ad but now I may waste some time and find it

3 Likes

Some stallion breeders have all this in the contract and sign off on the breeding certifiate. Some you have to list the mare, subject to subsitution if there is an issue with the contracted mare

I have seen ones with language something like ā€œThis contract provides for one (1) Breederā€™s Certificate. If multiple embryos are retrieved from one breeding, it will be the responsibility of theMare Owner to notify XXXXXXXX of number transferred. Stallion Breeding Reports are prepared
immediately after the end of breeding season.ā€

Pretty sure it is dependant on contract how the certificates for other embryos are issued if they come to term.

2 Likes

I believe someone posted way up thread that after a decade or so of increasing chaos in the secondary and tertiary and FB marketplace sales of frozen semen, that some breeders were coming back with stronger contracts going forward.

The emergence of ICIS technology made it possible to split doses and use older possibly slightly degraded frozen semen to make multiple embryos.

As far as the enforceability of the contracts, a lot would depend on how much the North American registries were requiring actual breeding certificates and how much they wanted to honor the intent of contracts from European stallion owners or semen brokers. If the American registries donā€™t require certificates any more, then lack of certificate wonā€™t impeded registration.

5 Likes

I love that song by Bon Iver is called Holocene. The groups video for that was filmed in Iceland and is a great video ro watch if you look it up. The song was. Used in the movie The Judge, starring Robert Duvall and Robert Downey Jr. And is a really great movie to watch highly recommend. The whole soundtrack is good, too. Ok sorry for the diversion, but twas necessary.

3 Likes

I just caught up, so just to summarize the past few hundred postsā€¦ did I read that KS thinks harness bred mares that have never proven themselves to be able to jump or compete in a hunter hack class are more likely to produce a viable hunter/jumper than mares who have proven show records in the sport?

34 Likes

Yeah, pretty much. :smirk:

10 Likes

Some breed registries issue individual certifiacates for each semen straw, those need to be returned with the AI COB. People should be getting some kind of transaction report, that should be sold along with the straw. It is buyer beware for second hand straws. Some contracts have a clause included to determine what is to be done with straws held by the mare owner in excess of those required to establish pregnancy.

Registries (KWPN, OLD for example ) still ask for a breeding or covering certificate, issued by the SO. If multiple embryos are collected, most contracts now have provisions in them for certificates. The provisions must be signed by the vet performing the ICSI. Most stallion owners will provide certificates for foals resulting from embryos frozen if the MO notifies the SO about the embryos- usually with an additional fee.

Every embryo should be reported to the stallion owner, as I stated above. I guess you could have a nefarious vet who falisifies how many embryos and you get a baby. But if the SO doesnā€™t know about it, you wonā€™t get the certificate.

The likelyhood of a random foal sliding in to a legitimate registry is slim, but never zero. I do not think it is as prevelant as the non-breeders posting here are implying.

If people are buying horses with random registries that do not require some kind of breeding certifiate- chances are that those are the horses that the SO is GLAD arenā€™t officially on the books.

2 Likes

I see with the SSA going on now that some breeders are including a clause ā€œNot approved for ICISā€ but I have also registered a foal late and did not have to provide a breeding certificate. I suppose I am just curious on how this is enforced.

Buying older frozen online just seems to a complete loss of control on the stallion owners side, I am curious on the enforcement of this. As a stallion owner who has turned down mare owners, if I sold to someone who was breeding to any cross bred pony, Iā€™d be upset. That brings down the stallions represented offspring quality.

10 Likes

The bottom line is that there is little an SO can do to completely control the use of frozen semen once it is sent downrange. Although their sales contracts likely spell out the conditions under which the semen can be used, there are myriad ways in which it can be misused, and as we know, said misuse of frozen semen has become SOP for many mare owners and even for some vets.

And although reputable semen brokers tend to pass on the contract requirements when they resell doses, neither they nor the SOs have much inclination to initiate legal proceedings against someone they suspect may have broken the contract requirements. Mare owners have been known to (unethically) duplicate breeding certificates or doctor a date or mare name, etc., on a breeding certificate, etc., to get what they want - multiple foals for minimal cost - and stallion owners and semen brokers donā€™t ever learn of it. Even if they do hear about it later, it is not cost-effective for them to pursue someone legally for breach of contract - and the mare owners know that, so they keep doing what they do. The unethical splitting of breeding doses was bad enough when dealing with full straws of frozen semen, but the advent of ICSI breeding makes it even more impossible to police, given the sheer number of breedings that can result from an ICSI straw.

AQHA has tried to get a handle on the misuse of ICSI semen by disallowing the registration of foals produced from ICSI breedings if the stallion has been deceased or gelded for two years or longer. Perhaps the warmblood registries need to do something similar.

3 Likes

I expect that the big name older European WB stallions are not going to be negatively affected by some backyard breeder in the Southern US using old third hand semen bought on FB marketplace to breed to random mares. Itā€™s also rare that some backyard breeder will go to the expense of doing ICSI on random low quality mares. But as we have seen it does happen.

18 Likes