Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

Stop it.

He’s going to be a Preferent KWPN Stallion. You’ll see.

14 Likes

what do you see? educate me

9 Likes

Lower your expectations and I prepare to be amazed - iFunny Brazil[image]

37 Likes

How did that filly not only pack on serious pounds but also grow a tail several inches longer in a day?

Ent-draught?

ETA because it went sailing over Kate Shearer’s head - that was sarcasm. The photo where the filly has put on weight and her tail is longer is CLEARLY not taken the same day as her arrival. The one where she was clearly starved when she was in Shearer’s possession and was Shearer’s responsibility.

21 Likes

I admit the colt looks good in the pictures. And he may very well turn out to be a good show jumper. But as someone who has freejumped a lot, I know it’s pretty easy to screenshot a good moment in time when the actual jumping effort was less than ideal. They come in a bit backing off, a little green, you chase them on, they get to the base and pop way up in the air. Or they rush through it, out of balance, snatching legs. The right freeze frame looks impressive! But perhaps the actual video shows a horse with no rhythm or elasticity in the air. I’m not saying that’s the case here…but without the video, it’s hard to know.

I will stick up for Barnstaple’s young horse pen. They spent a lot of money building it and it was designed to be very safe with solid walls and 2x4 wire mesh; they have hosted FEH events and stallion inspections. I haven’t used it since 2021, but it seems some of the showjumps left in there have fallen into disrepair and that’s a shame (but happens when the general public use “free stuff” and break it). I probably would have chosen better standards to use along the outer wall to present a better image, but for those worried about the location, it’s fine. The fencing is safe, with reasonable sand/turf footing.

Jumping a “short two year old” (he’s really just 17-18 months, isn’t he?) over about a 2’6" oxer multiple times isn’t something I would set out to do. I will jump my 2yos, but later in the fall of their 2yo year, closer to 30+ months. I’ve played with my long yearlings over obstacles…a pile of poles or an inflatable log, but I’d never really expect them to make a true jumping effort at that age. (But I raise racehorses, too, and I sit on them at 20 months, so I’m aware of glass houses and all that.)

Here’s an 18 month old TB colt playing in the round pen over a “jump.” Does he look impressive? Nope. But he looks willing and fun, and that’s all I’d ask of an under-2yo.

I think at least Kate should be commended for getting her colt out and doing something. Trips off the farm will only help him in his future career.

23 Likes

Is that an inflatable log in the video?

1 Like

Yes…perhaps more deflated than inflated, but it has turned into a baby horse toy and taken a beating.

6 Likes

The jumble of jumps was what I was referring to. They need to be made safer before an inexperienced young horse is run through them.

16 Likes

Yet here you are, sh!tposting over and over. You know, if you believe we’re all so ignorant and not worth your time, why do you keep coming back? Is it because you secretly love us? As an old friend used to say, “Must be, 'cause must ain’t don’t sound right.”

21 Likes

:smile:

4 Likes

Interesting, thanks.

Cute baby, by the way!

1 Like

But I thought this was a hobby.

5 Likes

Shadows hide the ribs, but I still see prominent hip bones and spine.

Lol.

23 Likes

Notice how those photos have shadows like your sale photos of your others? Just stop.

4 Likes

Lets compare. Notice the gain in the hindend, the hair from malnutrition, the scar to the face from the halter? How 300% better she looks?

22 Likes

no shadows.

I suppose its just coincidence they are all eating magical hay.

2 Likes

Kate didn’t foal
These out and she obviously is most certainly not nurturing them

Body condition looks so much better here! Weight wise this is exactly how a growing youngster should look. The coat is rough, but I’m sure it will shed out nicely this spring. Joints look pretty good, too, which is important to note; this filly hasn’t been “overfed” or “fast-fed” to reach better condition, and her nutrition has been on point. Well done DWBFL!

22 Likes

Thank you.

2 Likes