Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

No,they can’t. I’m not a stalker but I can’t access your FB page.

2 Likes

So he was only 17 months old when you put him through this chute… 4 times? But you felt the need to do this because you want to take him to yhs in Tryon in November?

This doesn’t really make sense. If you aren’t going until November, then why not just wait until summer when his bones have had more time to grow and he has developed more?

19 Likes

I have to reply to this… when you spend $948509437509347584375 on top producing stallions and you want the mare that has done nothing and not bred at all for jumping to stamp it (adding: It is proven that jumping form and scope are highly inherited… mare is not bred to jump GP let alone a cross rail.) That makes no sense.

Yes, mare lines are extremely important in breeding… just not this one for this selected market.

39 Likes

On top of that… it is VERY hard to get a USA bred stallion approved with KWPN

13 Likes

They do not put it up to 1.10 if the horse is not comfortable as the jumps go up. I believe the finals live stream is still available to watch on the Tryon site if you wanted to learn more about it.

13 Likes

Just yuck. And there’s no way I would use those rails for any horse.

4 Likes

Perhaps that is because of the perception that US breeders do not fully appreciate things like mare lines, and concerns that US breeders occasionally use mares with undesirable/unremarkable tail female lines in pedigrees.

Just a thought.

It’s a shame… if KS really does put forward this colt as a stallion prospect? It reinforces these perceptions about US breeders. A lot of people in the US who breed have worked quite hard in recent years to overcome these perceptions.

18 Likes

Which is a shame.

One would hope the PTB can smell crazy from a mile away and won’t lump all US breeders in with Kate. But it certainly doesn’t help.

The flip flops should be enough, though the crappy kept and poorly built horses speak for themselves.

18 Likes

I typed and deleted an entire novel, but I do feel the need to defend the north american KWPN breeders on the whole here, who are dedicated and producing really high quality horses from nice mares. The KWPN’s stallion approval procedures are logistically challenging for a north american stallion owner and some of the requirements for a stallion to maintain that approval with KWPN are difficult to achieve given the demand here and usual buyer of a warmblood foal. It makes more sense to take a nice young KWPN bred stallion to another registry for approval since the foals can still be registered KWPN.

Of note: For a registry to maintain its WBFSH status they can not have LOWER standards for stallion approvals here versus in their home country. Some registries to have alternative means to demonstrate that a horse has achieved those same standards here, since we are so spread out and with comparatively fewer horses participating, the european model of having registry organized stallion selections and performance tests isn’t feasible.

I don’t think if Kate chooses to bring his pedigree to the advice keuring or have him approved with another registry that it will reflect any worse on the general stallion ownership in north america than the army of people with “hunter stallions” who have barely done a thing except have pretty color and take a cute picture who propose him as the perfect match on every mare owner’s facebook thread.

12 Likes

I just want to go on the record as saying that I too think flip flops are a wonderful summer foot apparel.

But I do not wear them in the barn or while handling horses (and while actually feeding horses).

Adulting sucks and that includes having to wear closed toed shoes while handing horses. So not fair.

22 Likes

Oh - please don’t take my comment to mean I am criticizing North American breeders in general. Kate is an outlier. I am just saying that there are some longstanding negative attitudes… and if she actually does try and put this colt forward with KWPN… it amplifies her and her program, and plays into negative stereotypes about North American breeders.

I definitely understand what you are saying about the unapproved Hunter stallion market.

Anyway… we will all just have to wait and see how it plays out. I predict that the Saddlebred tail female line with this colt will prove problematic at some point. It’s one thing to use a few carefully selected, approved, high quality Saddlebred or Hackney stallions for KWPN Tuigpaard breeding. I understand that. But introducing Saddlebred mare lines into the approved KWPN jumper stallion population? I suspect that’s not a breeding direction the registry wants to pursue.

6 Likes

Excited about all the foals from your dead mares? WT ever loving H :dizzy_face: I’ve seen more dead, starving, wormy, thin, ill-kept horses on this thread about crosses for jumping than I ever have on threads about abused horses. Truly my mind did this :exploding_head:

26 Likes

That was my concern as well. Not the exterior fencing. Note that - as usual - Kate blames someone else. If that is your colt jumping that mess - YOU are responsible for what he is facing. YOU the so-called responsible breeder. YOU who seems to have no clue that if you keep giving horses a way to hurt themselves, at some point they will be successful at doing so. YOU - not Derek… not the hired help you can suddenly watch on camera 24/7… not the old lady down the road in muddy clothes taking great care of her herd 24/7 (me) … YOU.

And you did “own” the skinny babies and mares earlier and vociferously blamed yet more hired help. But now you have a new version of events and are singing a different song. So much for that “responsible” breeder. Once again… own your sh-stuff.

I do not know anyone who would do business with someone who so gleefully trashes clients and associates - as you do - all while whining about legitimate concerns expressed here. The horse world is not big enough that dousing bridges with gasoline and setting them on fire is ever a good thing.

34 Likes

Good news is, that KS is going to have a very hard time getting rid of her overpriced stock. She in all her ignorance and arrogance has cooked her own goose. Sure, there will be maybe one or two who fall for her crap, but ultimately, it’s over. She will never admit it or the fact more will die and starve in the coming year. We know better. This thread has done it’s job as the MANY people who are aware of this outspoken, blaming, uneducated human. God give the mares a second chance to get out of that hellhole they now call home. I can only hope they get decent homes. Unfortunately, their conformation is so bad and I would imagine most are not even broke even though she said they are “show ready”.

16 Likes

He seems to be getting much better care/feed than the others.

3 Likes

So you aren’t taking him to a KWPN keuring this year.

2 Likes

I wonder if the KWPN inspector who scored that colt so high is aware of all the hullaballoo he created, and is having second thoughts about his “eye.” Granted the colt looked to be much nicer than anything else out of that mare but I am pretty shocked that there weren’t nicer jumper-bred colts on that year’s inspection tour.

And I will be truly shocked if any reputable registry acknowledges that colt as a stallion prospect. His pedigree alone should have sporthorse breeders running in the other direction.

15 Likes

It wasn’t scored amazingly high. It was a good score but a 77.5 isn’t a stallion prospect. KWPN is dressage-heavy in entries at the NA Keurings I have attended. There were 12 dressage foals at the one I went to this year, and 2 jumpers.

For example, the entire top 10 for dressage foals that year were scored higher than the winning jumper foal (who got an 80). Here are the results: https://kwpn-na.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/2022-KWPN-NA-Top-10s-Def-24-oct-5.pdf

I am not entirely sure why this is, because in Europe there is a strong jumper presence in KWPN. Many of the best jumpers in the world Re Dutch WBs. But they aren’t Tuigpaard!

22 Likes

This is the kind of thing one says when they chronically neglect their animals and wish to hide them from the public. Especially someone that moves many states away many, many times at random with a herd of 19 horses. Red flags galore. In my opinion, KS comes in with a whirlwind of drama and utter BS to distract everyone from the condition of her animals.

I can’t think of a single breeder who has put countless hours, blood, sweat, tears and a plethora of money, let alone any sort of dignified equestrian, who wouldn’t put all rumors to rest and PROVE the the public is wrong about neglecting their horses by posting a simple picture of a broodmare in good condition. The people I know wouldn’t be able to sleep at night with others thinking that they don’t feed their beloved broodmares.

Can’t even post one picture of a decent looking broodmare. How disgusting.

Yes, keyword here being submitted. Anyone with a pulse can submit a pedigree for consideration as a stallion. Notice you did not say that your colt’s pedigree was approved.

It obviously has not been approved.

38 Likes

THIS ^ is an important distinction.

18 Likes