Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

USEF has no involvement in breeding. USEF can ban someone’s horses from showing in breeding classes, but has no control over breeding itself.

3 Likes

Has this whole mess just gone away? It’s odd how quiet things have become.

2 Likes

Shhhh!

15 Likes

whispering quietly I kind of want to know if anyone visited the farm. I really hope things look good for the horses’ sakes.

19 Likes

Cesar Parra drama distracted everybody from this thread lol

6 Likes

Exactly! The hive moved over to the new disaster. lol.

1 Like

@chicagojumper was going to visit.

3 Likes

Just saw this pop up and out of curiosity searched marion county records to see if anything came of the kind of vague lawsuit talk about this. Looks like a suit was filed last week, not sure if this link will work. Looks like there was an issue last year with boarding facility allegedly not feeling the horses or providing contracted care and they are being sued for damages. I can’t really keep track of how many iterations there have been of this story to know if it has anything to do with the current episode, but interesting nonetheless

docketimage.pdf (civitekflorida.com)

2 Likes

Maybe chicago jumper had some legal papers handed to her when she visited and cannot talk about it.

1 Like

Well she put up a short video of a couple babies on the 13th. Video was taken from a vehicle. Now there are posts, with analysis, of the wonderful Arizona hay. No photos of brood mates though.

1 Like

There are some great laughs in that lawsuit. OMFG.

I give her some credit, she is very creative.

10 Likes

What is the case #?

1 Like

Why am I not finding anything on that link?

You have to go to Marion county and do a name search.

This woman is just an absolute headache, nothing is ever her fault.

3 Likes

I did and nothing came up . I tried a couple of different parameters

ETA I tried again and found it

1 Like

OMG, i just can’t…

2 Likes

I must say, that seems like a poorly pled Complaint, but that could be because Kate’s allegations are meager at best. It doesn’t appear they attached the boarding agreement as an exhibit either, which is pretty standard in breach of contract claims, but maybe that’s typical for Florida. Looks like a lot of hogwash to me. :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

I think my favorite part is suing for the halters being left outside. It’s almost 50k plus whatever she values her reputation as, so a big ask but also a number I could readily see hitting if I had to legitimately move 20 horses last minute, that can’t be easy.

1 Like

This entire document is a mess of accusations. I’d love to see a copy of the boarding agreement. For anyone who hasn’t read the document, I’ve summarized some of it below.

The original agreement was from /Unknown Month/ 2023 tentatively to July 2024, but Kate was asked to leave in July 2023 with a one-week notice. She’d already paid through Aug 2023 and the BO did not prorate her for the days she didn’t use. Without a boarding agreement, that feels SOL. There might have been a clause about the BO’s right to immediately terminate the contract if X is violated. Additionally, pro-rating is up to the barn. Most of the boarding facilities I’ve been at did prorate board when I left on an odd day (proper 30-day notice had already been given), but that isn’t the case with my current barn.

Board was $250 per horse, for 20 horses, which included:

1. Pasture board (I was under the impression that it was dry stall board with turnout based on posts here, but I might be wrong).
  2. Hay thrown to each horse, supplied by Kate
  3. Weekly grooming
  4. Barn would “assist” in breeding/delivering/raising of the foals

The last item feels like that has a separate fee on top of the board, but one isn’t listed.

Kate does say that $600 was paid for the BO to specifically train two of the foals; I’m not sure if that was a one-time thing, monthly, or what the timeline was there. BO allegedly did not train them, leading to the babies being impossible to catch the day they were to leave and injuring themselves in the process.

From this lack of training, Kate would up out an additional $9.1k+ ($1.6k for additional training, $2k for trailering to new trainer, $500 for vet fees from the above injuries, and $5k subtracted from their sale’s price due to not attending inspection).

Then there are a plethora of other issues:

• Dispute over hay. BO was supposed to sell some of Kate’s hay and they’d split the profit. BO sold hay and didn’t pay Kate. Oh, and BO fed a bunch of the hay to their own horses instead of Kate’s. Again, no copy of this agreement.
  • Kate gave BO a breeding in exchange for $1.3k off board, which BO used but didn’t take the $1.3k off board or pay her for it.
  • Kate lists a bunch of expenses incurred by having to move her horses and the new facility being more expensive. It’s $125 more expensive, so an additional $2.5k a month.
  • BO lost some of the bales of hay? 120 bales are just missing ($4.4k of hay, so $36 a bale).
  • 12 of the horses had nice new leather halters, which were left outside hanging on the fences and are now rotten/damaged. I’m not sure how this is the BOs fault since this was pasture board. Where else would the halters be?
  • BO didn’t deworm the horses (dewormer provided by Kate), so Kate had to do it when they all left. This wound up costing about $50/horse so $1k.
  • Kate missed two weeks of work having to deal with this, leading to her missing out on about $10k of pay.
  • BO took photos of the horses when Kate was leaving, claiming Kate is the one who neglected them.
  • BO has slandered Kate online, leading to her losing business and suffering permanent harm.

And that’s it. Kate is seeking recompense for all the spent + attorney’s fees + punitive damages. Don’t think she’s going to get all that, especially since several of the issues seem outside the scope of a standard boarding contract (ex. the halters).

22 Likes

Nice summary. No attachments? If she didn’t get those agreements in writing she’s SOL. Sorry to say. Now how much of this care was supposed to be Kate’s job, how much missing hay was KS selling out the back door etc. Could be anything happening here and with no written documentation that’s going to be one cranky judge.

8 Likes