Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

Just a PSA: there is no ‘implantation’, only transfer. The implantation part is a biological process and cannot be performed by the vet. That’s why often more than one embryo is transferred during IVF - b/c no one can control the implantation process and many, many transferred embryos do not implant after transfer. :frowning:

Do the donor mares go through a cycle of stimulation before retrieval (like human IVF patients) in order to get more eggs/cycle?

4 Likes

It’s from the website directly above that post:

https://picobellohorses.auction/en/icsi

Someone explain to me how this breeding procedure makes business sense for anything but the most exceptional genetic combination. And even then, getting a live foal on the ground is only part of the risk, as they still have to live long enough and without catastrophic injury to even try to reach their performance potential.

14 Likes

I’ve been thinking it’s akin to munchhausen (did I spell that right?). She puts the mares through this procedure for her own freaky internal feelings. We know she isn’t making money, so this whole breeding experiment seems just “Frankenstein-ish”.

12 Likes

Yowza. Thanks.

Ah right. Sorry, poor choice of words on my part. :blush:

1 Like

I can see how it’s got a little bit of a gambling element to it that is alluring…

Sure, it’s expensive. But if you’re lucky, you could get MULTIPLE viable foals from a dead/rare stallion and really corner the market on those foals. Of course, that assumes being lucky, and people not caring about the damline (or for some reason wanting that sort of strange cross specifically) but it’s got a real appeal for someone who likes gambling. You could lose a bunch of $$$ (and I think, ultimately, that is what’s going to be the outcome) but you COULD hit it big and make more $$$$ than someone breeding a more traditional way.

Imagine you had one of the last vial of some really valuable dead stallion. Wouldn’t there be some appeal out of trying to get 4-5 foals out of that vial rather than putting it all in one mare and hoping for just one?

It’s the reason why people winning at the table keep betting… the thrill of the potential windfall.

This is not my thing. I don’t gamble. AT ALL. But some people just love it and find it thrilling. There’s an element of that here, possibly.

9 Likes

Because certain mares will produce many more eggs than others where you’re likely to have multiple viable embryos per cycle. If you have a mare where that’s the case then the chance to do that makes ICSI cost effective compared to ET or buying additional nice broodmares because you can get 10 embryos a season off very small quantities of semen. It does make me wonder if that’s part of the appeal of the harness mares- perhaps that gene pool has better fertility than jumping bred mares?

2 Likes

You do realize how dumb you sound? One breed can produce more eggs than another? How about I had a phenomenal mare that many agreed on and that is why we went this route? I mean it’s not that hard to understand and who cares about cost. I make plenty of money so can afford it. My goodness the idiocy of the people on this post that legitimately know nothing

Did this post not start because of neglect and a woman that specifically wanted “that strange cross”. Maybe there is something the cothers just can’t wrap their heads around that others can! Maybe just maybe you all don’t know what you’re talking about :see_no_evil::kissing_heart:

It’s not a vets place to say and the Swedish warmbloods could seek registry in another warmblood registry. There are enough top breeders within that warmblood registry that are against this so it will not stand. But interesting to follow. And to be clear I have never violated or been fraudulent in anything I have done with dna or semen or anything. It’s very black/white right/wrong to me. I know many a breeder that has definitely done fraudulent things yet don’t see you broadcasting them here. Including their mares looking horrendous this year yet it’s a top level
Breeder so I guess it’s ok. I understand you all don’t respect what I do with my lines but it’s working for a lot of people with a lot of high level support. I’ve seen hundreds of thousands of horses in my life and I know conformationally what works for what I’m trying to achieve. You all might be keyboard warriors and I respect that. This forum has only invigorated me to continue so thank you.

Do you?

55 Likes

I saw your ad yesterday on FB where you still have several foals/horses for sale and that you have finally lowered the prices significantly to the 4 to low 5 figure range. It seems even you know that your offspring are not the magikal unicorns you once thought.

I also find it absolutely cringe worthy that you still have not apologized to another poster for calling them a liar when you blatantly lied about being PMed.

42 Likes

Maybe you should take a chunk of that money you make and actually take proper care of these animals you insist on creating .

31 Likes

I don’t think the person who started this thread was talking about a horse from your breeding program.

And it wasn’t someone who “wanted” a DHH cross. It was someone who saw them on the market and didn’t know much about them and was curious if anyone had them as successful show horses.

17 Likes

They weren’t. They were asking about DHH and crosses in general. This just devolved into the Kate Thread 2.0 when people mentioned that “some breeder” was a bit unhinged, then the immaciated foal popped up.

23 Likes

@Kasheare his is what started this whole discussion and then it did multiple detours like conversations often do:

5 Likes

I am pretty baffled by the people who advocate Live Cover as pain free and easy but don’t like ICSI because the mare is sedated during the procedure and has NSAIDS after.

I can only assume that they have not seen a lot of live cover breeding.

8 Likes

FWIW I don’t think DHH or DHH crosses are all that odd. But taking very harness bred and built mares with no performance records and breeding them to top level jumper stallions that are known to be professional rides… that seems pretty odd. To each their own, but I think that’s a pretty idiosyncratic thing to breed and unlikely to have a broad appeal. Especially when you can pick up pretty decent DHH and DHH crosses cheaply at auction and/or buy well bred warmblood foals by well know stallions out of mares who themselves performed for the same or lower asking price as the DHHs being produced from harness mares.

32 Likes

And, given the current crisis in equine DVM manpower, I can’t see that flying noway nohow.

9 Likes