Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

I look forward to reading all your adventures with your new mare.

You can once again show us all how proper nutrition can totally make the difference in a young horse.

23 Likes

I am soooo excited for you!!! I canā€™t wait for updates and oodles and oodles of pictures. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Aww, poor little dorcas! Those legs though, my goodness!

1 Like

Aww. Canā€™t wait to see the after pictures following some TLC.

1 Like

Omg YES!!!

Could you start a new threat about the process if you feel up to it? Iā€™ve wanted to snag a TB or two in the past but felt overwhelmed by the prospect of having to figure out the logistics of quarantine and transport etc. Iā€™m very curious to know your experience.

14 Likes

How old is she?

I love her shoulder angle, and I think Iā€™ll like her topline once she has some groceries.

7 Likes

@vxf111 I will! The logistics are what kept me wondering all weekend if this was going to work. Or if it was worth it.

@McGurk she is supposed to be three but I have my doubts. Sure looks like a 2-yr-old to me with those legs for days. I also wonder about her measurement as sheā€™s advertised as 14.1 but she appears to be as tall as the fence? A five foot fence is 15 hands.

5 Likes

Agreed. I think sheā€™s going to fill out beautifully.

3 Likes

I agree, I think she looks like a two year old. And I think sheā€™s going to be a hony/small horse once she gets the groceries and care she deserves.

Actually, her hind end angles are good too, she just doesnā€™t have any muscle.

I donā€™t know what itā€™s like in your part of Virginia, but in my part, I have spring grass that would put weight and dapples on a dead horse. Canā€™t wait until you get her home and start the glow up.

13 Likes

See, thatā€™s why this lapse in judgment is NOT MY FAULT.

I have tons of grass and an EMPTY stall. Which, as we all know, is illegal. :smirk:

54 Likes

Will she come with any papers? Guess you could look up her lineage from her tattoo. I know I would be curious.

No papers, and no tattoo as the jockey club stopped doing that several years ago. Iā€™ll scan for a microchip and if that fails, do DNA.

13 Likes

Given her condition, I would be surprised if she were chipped.

In the bad old days, they didnā€™t get tatooed until they were actually at the track and had gotten a gate card.

I donā€™t know how it works now, if thereā€™s any reason to chip them earlier. Also, I think any vet can microchip a horse, I think the tatooing had to be done by a racing official?

ETA: Just read this article in the Blood Horse. A TBā€™s chip or ā€œdigital tattooā€ has to be done by a licensed official as well, so similar to the old tatoos - most likely done at the track, after theyā€™ve received their gate card.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/237793/digital-tattoos-the-new-identifying-standard-in-2020#:~:text=The%20longstanding%20practice%20of%20branding,rest%20of%20their%20racing%20career.

1 Like

Hard to say. She came in with a bunch of other babies, Iā€™m wondering if a breeder died or got out of business.

7 Likes

That makes a lot of sense. If the family or executor were trying to manage the estate, it would be easy for the young stock to be neglected while they sorted things out.

So glad you bought her! I too would love to hear about the experience and canā€™t wait to see the glow up photos of her when sheā€™s home!

1 Like
2 Likes

Then, I suppose, my job is done here. :smile:

No, seriously, you have such a good eye for a horse thatā€™s in less than desirable condition, and this poor dear creature looks utterly unloved. Like others here, I look forward to seeing her blossom under your care and attention.

17 Likes
2 Likes

No price listedā€¦So weird.

2 Likes