Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

Jesus even being alive isn’t a requirement, she would extract the eggs from a recently dead mare and implant them in some poor recip.

7 Likes

They would have a much better chance of finding good homes if they weren’t priced so unreasonably.

16 Likes

This is the type of breeder that Kate should emulate. Their breeding foresight (what are we trying to create and who and how will we do that), along with an excellent training program sounds about perfect. https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/the-u-s-bred-horse-taking-on-the-jumping-world-cup-final/

4 Likes

Shearer is hands off “breeder”, not interested in handling or training the horses she breeds.
They are boarded out cheaply and left to others to care for.
It’s clearly a hope to make money as easily and with as little effort on her part as possible. It doesn’t seem to be working out well.

27 Likes

@K_VanOlst God all these babies are just so unattractive :see_no_evil: and not just in a “yearling fuglies” kind of way. This is not functional conformation for anything other than cart horses.

I know you didn’t mean this in a negative way, but “cart horses” the way you wrote it sounds negative, at least to me in this context. It gets me a little as we drive “cart horses” (pleasure and combined driving) and our ponies also do well in conformation shows, hunter shows, dressage shows, pleasure shows and combined driving shows. So cart horses can do it all, and can have functional conformation so they can do many different jobs - thats the goal of a good breeder.

We were offered mid to high 5’s for for our “cart horse” as a 4 year old and turned it down easily. My husband said even if they offered in the 6’s there is no way he would sell. We are in Ontario and never once advertised our boys and we even had someone from Florida hire someone to watch us at Bromont to see our pair go and to offer us money for them. We of course were surprised and turned it down.

Our boys are family bred and is over 50 years in the making (my husband even drove their grandsire many years ago - an imported stallion). Even us drivers want a functional, well bred, well moving animals that can do many things in all rings.

I see a lot of DHH in the driving world, in combined driving as well as pleasure shows. A good friend of ours showed a nice 4 in hand and did some tandem, random, pair and single driving to great success with them, all across the US and Canada.
I have seen and handled some really good brained DHH, and some not so good DHH. You do need temperament for driving, so I saw more good brained than “bad” brained, thats for sure. I know I went off topic here, just had to give my $0.02 when someone mentioned cart horses!

Just wanted to share some pictures of our cart horses :wink:

78 Likes

Thank you for sharing to this thread.

All of your pictures are amazing, but I wanted to highlight these two.

When I look at these two pictures, I see a horse who can reach forward from their shoulder, and swings their whole front leg forward. It’s not just knee action. I also see a neck that ties into the shoulder in a way to allow that freedom of movement from the shoulder. I also see a stronger back (not too long), and a horse that can reach under their body and engage their hind leg (the hocks don’t trail).

Anyway… clearly you successfully bred and trained a lovely multipurpose athlete. Really cool to see all the photos of the different sporting activities and that speaks volumes about a great temperament too!

50 Likes

Gorgeous animals, but I’d call them driving horses. As someone very peripherally aligned with that world, I can’t imagine anyone would call them cart horses, which leaves that term available to describe whatever the hell this lady is breeding… that said, where have their backs gone? You can’t even pull a cart without a good back, so perhaps even that term is too generous.

21 Likes

Your horses are driving horses and sport horses. And they are lovely, btw.
To me, “cart horse” (what Kate has) is something non descript average or worse critter dragging a wagon loaded with vegetables or other wares around.
To put your horses in the same group is a travesty.

28 Likes

With any breed there are good examples and not so good examples. The lovely horses pictured above are most definitely the good kind. I’ve seen some really nice DHH x Arabian crosses as well, good minded and lovely movers.

KS is using the low end bargain basement version just because they are DHH, with no thought as to structure whatsoever.

23 Likes

Aged Gouda and beer risotto is to die for,

1 Like

@DiamondJubilee have you used any DHH in you breeding program?

Nothing to add other than thanks to this thread I found Drunken Goat cheese at Wegmans today, can’t wait to try it!

7 Likes

Make sure to let it come to almost room temp. The flavor is subtle and having it straight out of the fridge masks the flavor.

7 Likes

These beautiful, well cared for, thoughtfully bred and campaigned horses are leagues away from what KS is doing.
Your post and photos are a ‘how it should be done’ and only in KS’s dreams would there be any comparison!

22 Likes

Let it come to room temperature for best flavor!

2 Likes

Letting cheese come to room temp is almost always the best way to experience the flavor. I can’t think of any that are best served cold but they must exist.

Finnish squeaking cheese is awesome for grilling.

2 Likes

Oh that sounds divine! :heart_eyes:

I know this post is old, but HBK says she breeds for brains, so that a trainer doesn’t have to ride…but

She also advertises that she wants a trainer to assist in training and campaign her young horses.

11 Likes

My contribution to the cheese digression…

Aldi’s white Stilton with mango and ginger. Just amazing.

At Whole Foods, I found a Balsamic emmentaler (I believe it was emmentaler) that was also ambrosial.

8 Likes

Through experimentation I’ve learned how to re-create Whole Foods smoked mozzarella pasta salad.

2 Likes