Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

Well someone needs to have the brains in that s show I guess.
She wants a trainer to take them on so she doesn’t have to pay until
They’re sold is her plan , I’ll bet… maybe one of those Olympian’s who are clamoring after her horses will help her out.

3 Likes

Is that anything like halloumi? Because I love me some grilled halloumi.

2 Likes

https://eatingrules.com/making-cheese-at-the-finnish-farmhouse/#:~:text=Many%20Americans%20refer%20to%20it,cinnamon%20and%20sugar%20for%20dessert.

It’s made from cow’s milk (ideally colostrum) but I think the basic principle is the same. Try The Big Moo - they’ve won awards for theirs.

I love Kasseri cheese. Mmm. So good.

1 Like

Thank you all for your kind words, I honestly didn’t mean to derail from this thread! I just wanted to show there are some nice driving animals as I think most think of cart plodding horses when someone mentions driving. We like nice ponies too!

I did not breed the ponies that I am currently driving, I have only bred one purpose bred horse for myself (Hanoverian x BRP x Welsh) who is currently a coming 2 year old, bred to be a small hunter for me. The ponies I show were bred by my in laws who have imported their main stock (Welsh and BRP) from Wales many years ago. They have been purpose breeding for hunter ponies for the past 50+ years and have a very successful breeding program. They do not market to driving animals as unfortunately most do not want to pay for them, and the ones that do have a budget for a nice driving animal are few and far between.

@skydy - so no, I have and my in laws have not used DHH in their breeding program. There really isn’t a market for it in the driving world, you might get a handful here and there but my in laws breed 10-20 foals a year, so it would be a bad business for sure! They would not make a good hunter, which is where 95% of her foals goes towards. There are just a handful of us that have bought them to drive, though we like to do many things with our boys, not just drive.

I do know of a few good DHH breeders, and they specifically breed for driving or dressage. They are carefully selected mares and a couple of nice stallions that have done combined driving and have a record. They even drive one of their stallions as a pair with mares and other geldings. They are very nice stock and if I were to ever think of getting one (not my cup of tea though), I would look there for sure.

23 Likes

I’ve never experienced that particular salad, but you really shouldn’t drop the suggestion of a delicious sounding side dish without the recipe!

7 Likes

BRP?

BTW - your horses are lovely all around athletes!

British Riding Pony :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bowie and the other “kill pens” are actually dealers who have figured out the Facebook market for horses (women who want to rescue). They specifically buy horses out of auctions to post them on Facebook and make a profit, often doubling what they sell them for. Although "the truck is coming " is the plea the reality is you never even see the straight to slaughter horses.

Often the auction, kill pen, quarantine barn, and rescue are related. A surprisingly large number of people will spend 3k on a kill pen horse then another 2 k to quarantine and ship it when they are actually 30 minutes from a direct auction.

Edited to add I’m not judging anyone who goes the kill pen route, just explaining how the system isn’t honest about intent.

33 Likes

I am reminded of a time I took a driving lesson from a local guy who also makes harness. I asked him if he had a lot of local customers. Oh no, he said- almost everyone is from out of state. Everything’s better when you cross state lines LOL

5 Likes

LOL. I like this guy.

2 Likes

I’m well aware. Though our situation is different than most. We’ve bought two of our old racehorses from such buyers. My daughter tracks them on Facebook, just in case one of our old favorites ends up in a bad situation. The first was in PA, the second in Ohio. We can’t hang out at all the sale yards across a good chunk of the USA to see if they’ll be run through any of them, especially since we live in Eastern Ontario and have busy lives. My gelding wasn’t even posted on Facebook. One of the Standardbred groups let us know first. They’re great at notifying past connections right away. The mare was posted, and my daughter contacted them and had we had her in a quarantine facility asap with the organizers help. The mare was especially angering, because the owner didn’t contact us before he dumped her because my DD had contacted him about her weanling that he was selling online, he could have called her easily. She didn’t even rate a halter when he did it. Fortunately she’s back home now and thriving.

42 Likes

I want to :gift_heart: your post so many times. I love that you keep an eye out for the horses you have brought into this world. :heart: :heart:

13 Likes

I’ve never bought a horse from Bowie, not brave enough, though I’ve been tempted! It does seem ridiculous to spend way more money on a Bowie horse than you could if you went to a local auction but the one thing I find is that they have horses not typically found in some parts of the country. I’ve found myself really liking Standardbreds but there are just really none in my area. Pretty much the same for saddlebreds and draft crosses. I was very lucky to find my DHH/draft cross locally!

1 Like

I mean, if they are weeding out the less suitable ones, whether it is due to soundness or behavior, they are providing a service there.

I would not want to get on those horses bareback with a halter and lead rope in those situations to see what their reaction would be. But if those guys are willing to do it to find out which horses are most cooperative, that has value to me.

19 Likes

I’m not disagreeing with you but the $500-$800 ones are definitely killer price. Those are generally the unbroke babies. Assuming the one I just bought is not permanently broken or dying, I can’t find anything straight off the track for what I paid unless it’s a rehab case.

22 Likes

Thanks, but we didn’t bring them into this world, just bought and raced them. My DH had a great trotting mare he bred a few times, but between one foal being hit by lightening and the others just not turning out, he’d rather gamble on the buying to race. Some of our best horses were dumped by other trainers.

I have to give my DD all the credit in the finding department, she’s the one looking for them. We’ve only brought home two so far, though she has donated some money towards others, some she didn’t even remember my DH having, as he doesn’t hold onto them long if he doesn’t think they are going to fit in his program or at the track we’re racing on. The STB people are amazing at networking.

21 Likes

Well, now I want to love your post even more :heart:

3 Likes

That is the answer I expected after looking at the photos of your horses. I hope your homebred continues with his great progress. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Saw this on an ISO ad. I haven’t posted on this thread yet, but I don’t think the filly qualifies as a full sibling. Hopefully the people shopping do their research

2 Likes

To be fair It does say “he” is a full sibling after mentioning the filly’s sire.

Lousy writing though. It certainly lacks the clarity you would expect from a self proclaimed “attorney”.

23 Likes