Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

Ever heard of that song by Young Gunz called “Can’t Stop Won’t Stop”? It’s also the name of the under eye concealer I use.

Yeah, it’s still going on.

8 Likes

Does it not say that Robbie is “made for dressage” yet due to his canter he could be a “derby horse”? Unless there are dressage derbies of which I am not aware, that would imply he’s a hunter derby prospect. And yet, he is (sic) the “bone and size of what we imported two decades ago.” My point was that modern, top tier hunter derby horses generally don’t physically resemble old style warmbloods from 20 years ago. Since I imported and bred warmbloods 20 (and more) years ago, have competed in hunter derbies and been a hunter judge, I believe I do know what I’m talking about.

Simply put, the text of the ad post seems to contradict itself.

That’s all that was meant.

48 Likes

How many hunter derby prospects have you seen that have a dressage sire and DHH dam?

Just wondering.

19 Likes

Thanks for asking this question. I had the same reaction months ago to another of her adverts but I didn’t ask, thinking maybe it was a term commonly used in America. I’m also curious to hear if other people use this term. It is really off putting but if it is common local lingo that would explain it.

I hear it used as you noted and also as ‘a lot of blood’. But never have I heard bloody.

Also, is ‘low-mid starting with a #’ a common thing? I see ‘low-mid 5 figures’ but using low-mid specifically stands in for numbers. It is strange to say low-mid and then also a number.

The ad copy does read super juvenile, non-professional. Acting impressed with yourself is not a good look. You should be confident and knowledgeable and let others be impressed.

It’s all very odd and absolutely does not communicate professionalism at all. As noted above, ‘fan girl’ is the best description of this rather purple prose. I would not expect that in high-end product or pricing. I would expect a very clear, concise, utterly professional presentation of the animals and their breeding. All that stuff about a canter making you stop and watch, that’s all opinion and fantasy stuff and seriously detracts from the communication as a whole.

28 Likes

Yes. It’s a way to go around FB’s rules against selling animals. Putting a price on the post can cause the group or poster to get in trouble. The starting with # gives a buyer a ballpark since even “low” five figures covers a lot of spread.

So one of the horses she’s asking at least $30,000.

9 Likes

Those bloody horses are at it again. Using their bloody sides and opinions to canter all nice and stuff.

9 Likes

Especially since in general, the babies so rarely canter on video. They do love to trot, though!

I run YouTube in the background at my work computer to keep it from auto locking. Usually I’ve got old FEI replays going, but one Suggested Video of harness horse competition (of some sort) caught my eye. Beautiful and flashy horses doing exactly what they were bred for, but rather different from the jumping and dressage horses I usually watch. Guess which horses these DHH babies look like…

16 Likes

:question:

So the other (at least) three profiles you have, none of them would work?

I give you a ton of credit, remembering that many passwords can not be fun, but some how you manage to keep all of your identities straight. That is hard work.

13 Likes

I have a now personal profile, the kg which I never use and this secondary which will be the horse one. I need to separate horse people from
My personal life. Hopefully that is respected

Babies will elect to move in the gait they are most comfortable with, and DHH are bred to trot, so there you go!
The trailing hindlegs and lack of natural balance in the canter displayed would not have me thinking they are bred for jumping sport, but to each their own.

21 Likes

He was bred for dressage but as you know dressage bred horses have been taking over the derby scene. How many for romance are there now? I always ask breeding on the horses I do. I’m interested. And yes anyone that sees this mares foals in person the first thing they mention is the quality and ease of the canter. They are all entered in keuring and the this year. Would love for you to follow along.

Plus the majority of top hunter trainers that I braid for are looking for that couch like hunter with a quieter temperament for their amateurs. What I’m braiding are these thick big ones for the ammys. They are more refined for the open/pro stuff for sure. But I’ve never professed to breed for that.

Many canter video was uploaded so confused how it’s “only trot”

Guess Kwpn judges thought differently from you??? As they mentioned the quality of canter which is why Simba was reserve champion jumper foal out of all keurings and I posted all siblings. Even the baloubet du rouet colt up in michigan(same dam as the Royce colt this year), a buyer called about using him for vaulting as his canter was that amazing and cadenced. Maybe just maybe you are not seeing what all these other people are seeing. :woman_shrugging: and no I do not own the baloubet du rouet 2yo colt, he was sold as an embryo not even in a mare!

Underline by me to show what I am commenting on.
It must be that your videos are not showing what people are seeing in person then. Maybe it is time to hire a better videographer, because the videos show the whole darn unbalanced thing, not the lovely balanced canter thing.

13 Likes

The pasture mates of these two are just adorable. Darn. Look at those little short legs go.

9 Likes

Maybe you just don’t know what to look at? Considering the comments from posting my videos on my page with all saying wow the canter. lol. But you are right, you definitely know what you’re talking about,

I don’t think I have ever given you my opinion on their canter, have I?

But sure, bash me anyway.

I was simply saying that if so many people say the video does not show a balanced canter (switching leads, back end trailing behind and all that) but you say in true life, everyone that sees them says their canter is amazing, maybe it is time to hire a better videographer, who can guide you in making videos that better show what you want to show, versus what people are seeing.

(Feel free to now pick on me for my run-on sentence.)

29 Likes

You keep repeating this and I have to disagree. It is the equivalent of me taking a draft mare bred for pulling carts and crossing that mare with a dated dressage stallion and expecting this cross to some how be a strong dressage candidate. It lends to the “build a bear” type thinking in my opinion where you seem to believe you can control what characteristics your foals inherit. Breeding is unpredictable, even when one uses specimens actually appropriate for the desired result.

I am also throw off by the comments on these foal’s canters. I’ve seen multiple foal videos where the foals are unable to do clean lead changes and are cross cantering in the hind. A foal should be able to maintain correct leads without cross cantering and have clean changes with ease. The fact that you post these videos as proof of a quality result tells me you know very little about what a quality foal looks like.

Again, it’s bizarre… and sad, really. All my opinion.

39 Likes

Also, there are some dressage lines in hunters by certain sires but this isn’t the majority. These are generally failed dressage prospects with more hunter movement. Most people are following the model of using proven lines within the sport. Most of these dressage lines in hunters are also woven with other jumper lines in the pedigree.

But you know, small details.

18 Likes

And the fact that a coth forum poster seems to know more than the various individuals in top sport that state differently including those judges on the keuring. That’s fine though. Not your cup of tea.