Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

And again how many hunters do you encounter every day? Because I come into contact with 12-20. And I like to know breeding. Many are actually dressage bred.

Still milking the whole Keuring thing. :joy: :roll_eyes: If it is sooooo fab, why is it still sitting in the yard? And the bloody stallion? Have you called the vet yet? :joy:

39 Likes

I avoided this forum for years considering it just as vicious (worse ?) as dressagehub . Came back to check when someone informed me of a thread re DHHs jumping because I have DHHs that jump. Time to leave for another decade or two

1 Like

and lovely ones at that, but are they as Majikal as HBKā€™s?

1 Like

:100::100::100:

10 Likes

That line is getting so old it might need a walker or a wheelchair! Letā€™s invite it to our charcuterie and wine party!

13 Likes

Her response that sheā€™s keeping her personal FB account just for friends and not horses is BS, considering just yesterday she shared the same ad 20 times from her ā€œpersonalā€ account.

21 Likes

Being fully truthful is very hard for some people.

24 Likes

And using your deceased motherā€™s name for another account? Its quite disturbing.

27 Likes

I mildly disagree that it is vicious, but as I said in my post, there are some threads just wonā€™t stop. It was meant to be funny, may have missed the mark.

5 Likes

And when you dont understand the contribution of the mare, outside of the use of the uterus, it is even more unpredictable.

23 Likes

I would also LOVE to know ALL these hunters who are dressage bred. lol. Nothing like a dressage mover cleaning up in the hack. :rofl:

8 Likes

And your crosses are lovely! I really enjoyed your videos and pictures of them. Proof of a breeding program done right.

24 Likes

My hack-winning derby horse is most definitely not dressage bred. And shockingly, he has a 1 temperament with good bone and has no DHH! How is this possible?? He isnā€™t even fed magikal KS alfalfaā€¦ :thinking:

19 Likes

Iā€™d say the vast majority of hunters are shown by both pros and ammys at the same shows. Anything that a pro shows should eventually be suitable for an ammy if it isnā€™t already. Why would we have thicker built horses for the ammys and refined ones for the pros?

I work in a barn with 30 show horsesā€¦the reason I even joined this thread is because we have one cool DHH horse that is a successful .90 teacher. The rest are majority jumper bred hunters and jumpers, with the exception of one lovely Donnerhall hunter. We go to the top shows in the country, year round.

KS, you must never get any sleep between braiding by night and studying these horses rounds and their breeding by day. And breeding your own. And studying law. And selling hay.

How do you do it?

32 Likes

At the risk of sounding snarky, methinks the KWPN has given itself a big black eye by accepting harness bred mares into the RIDING HORSE mare books and giving the offspring of those mares RIDING HORSE papers - no matter who the sire is.

It actually smacks of hypocrisy and disingenuity for them to continually tout the importance of strong motherlines while at the same time professing that a riding horse stallion can overcome any undesirable riding horse qualities brought to the breeding equation by a harness mare.

It is giving me a headache trying to figure out the KWPNā€™s doublespeak. They need to make up their minds - is the stallion more important, or the mare more important? :roll_eyes:

14 Likes

After 5 pages of fun on USEF, I found one for romance that has done the hunters. 2ā€™6ā€ at that.

There may be more if I had time to keep scrolling, butā€¦I donā€™t.

Not as prolific as you think?

17 Likes

Is it true that only ONE of your foals got a First Premium from the KWPN judges? The rest were not deemed of good enough quality to merit First Premium?

And really, that must have been a very sorry year for KWPN jumper foals if your foal out of a harness mare was reserve high score.

Color me NOT impressed by your breeding program and this whole debacle is making me have very big doubts about KWPN.

18 Likes

Not all dressage bred horses come out with Sandro Hit or Totilas type movement. A great many of them have flatter gaits - esp. the trot - and if they also are nice looking, have a decent temperament/character, and a nice canter, they are very likely to get marketed as hunter prospects. And especially so once they get under saddle and show nice form, etc., when they start over fences. Iā€™m talking mostly about European bred warmbloods - a heck of a lot of young stock that donā€™t impress as either upper level dressage prospects or high level jumper prospects get marketed as hunter prospects.

I also know of more than a handful of people in the U.S. who regularly use dressage bred mares or stallions in their breeding programs. Iā€™ve seen them use in particular Quaterback lines, Rubinstein lines, Florestan lines, even some Donnerhall lines, although you have to be careful with some of those older style horses because they can sometimes throw big and heavy in the body and occasionally even a bit big-headed - they donā€™t always produce something ā€œpretty enoughā€ for the hunter ring.

2 Likes

I get it. You donā€™t have any other qualifications other than a foal doing well at keuring and you want to ride that accomplishment into the ground. I also breed KWPN and am more than familiar with the inspectors and the process, however, I realize that keurings are just a day in the life of the foal and do absolutely nothing to prove the success of a horseā€™s future. As do other professionals and riders. IMO it seems tacky to take the positives your inspector gave you (as well as every other foal inspected) and turn it into a dialog where it appears KWPN supports your breeding program. I would think you would realize keurings donā€™t mean so much when you have so many horses that havenā€™t sold. Shrug.

Here is the interesting thing - one does not need to see a horse in person (nor braid their mane) in order to know exactly what bloodlines are competing where. That information is easily available online and I should be surprised you donā€™t know this ā€¦ but I am not.

31 Likes