Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

of course. A nice horse is a nice horse. A well bred horse can do many things. That goes without saying. But when it comes from HBK’s mouth it all sounds stupid because we all know, she really will never invest in the mares so it really doesn’t matter and can she even get all the lines you dropped? Even if, her mares are horrid.

5 Likes

Well, dammit ! One of our jumpers out of a Tuigpaard mare, Champion or reserve champion adult jumper at eight of his last ten shows from colorado horse park, Lake St Louis, HITS Chicago will be sorry to learn he can’t canter or jump :frowning:

20 Likes

Just because a mare has a registered foal doesn’t mean she was inspected herself. A riding type stallion crossed with a harness type mare is going to be riding type. Doesn’t make much sense for it to be harness type.

I’m not saying it makes it a quality animal, I’m just saying those are the rules.

As foals, they are looking at the horse in front of them regardless of pedigree. COMPLETELY different story when you’re getting them inspected as a breeding animal.

5 Likes

I ride a big QH, he’s a “Three Bars” horse. He’s the most reliable horse to jump I’ve even been on. Doesn’t matter what terrible spot I might get him at or how not-straight to the jump I get, he goes. Such a good boy.

4 Likes

Ah, I love this! My best QH had TONS of Three Bars (which often comes from Doc Bar lines).

2 Likes

My guy Tee Array Lark was lovely. A rather hot boy but did it all and did it well! He was also a nice solid 16.1. My vet once told me “the only thing you have not done with him is Civil War reenactment” lolol. Lost him at 16 do to a joint infection. It was horrible. :sleepy: His fave thing was fox hunting. First flight like a dream. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

Gotta say, I think most (all ?) of the people “dissing” DHHs or horses that trot as potential jumpers are arm chair theoreticians with no personal experience with these horses and are forgetting two facts. ALL WB registries began to insure a ready source of dual purpose light farm work horses that could also pull caissons during war and that Galoubet, the foundation sire of the most prolific line of jumpers, was out of a trotter mare

8 Likes

Three Bars and Rugged Lark breeding is some of the best QH blood around. Those horses can and did do EVERYTHING.

7 Likes

strong text

@TomNeese The original post does not mean the topic of the thread has not changed since then.

I am kind of saddened that you are willing to put Kate Shearer’s horses into the same category as your horses, just because they are of a similar breed.

48 Likes

Thank you for the great examples of a horse with DHH breeding doing big things!

7 Likes
Here is one out of our imported Tuigpaard mare x Popeye K getting ready to make his debut in Baby Green Hunters next month. Judge for yourself.
16 Likes

I’m not putting vthem there ! Heck, she hates and has threatened to sue me too !!!

10 Likes

This format is driving me nuts…I can’t tell when I’m just posting, replying to a certain person or what… Intended for the popeye k baby to ba an independant post, not a reply

3 Likes

Another stereotype breaker. Out of over twenty horses I’ve hunted, TBs, WBs ,draft crosses, whatever, This guy by a DHH stallion (Meijesteit) out of an Arabian mare is the best field hunter I ever had. Go anywhere, jump anything, super sure footed, never ran out of gasIMG_1980

19 Likes

This one reminds me so much of my heart horse (now deceased) who was also KWPN. He was by Aristos B out of a hunter-bred TB mare. I love how your horse goes!

1 Like

Nice! He does remind me of Popeye K in a different color.

1 Like

Curious @TBROCKS @dynamite0319 @vxf111 about Three Bars get. We used to have a granddaughter and everything she did she did magnificently without reservation, but the things she did not do she DID NOT DO.

I was told that was a trait in the Three Bars line. I was wondering what your experiences were?

2 Likes

That tracks. They’re smart. All the Three Bars I knew were solid partners and would go through fire but definately had an opinion or two about SOMETHING that you could not change. Stoney would do anything-- halter, showmanship, barrel race, jumpers, hunters, trail ride, pony, games, hunter pace-- anything you asked-- except cross a bridge with water underneath. NO WAY NO HOW. But for a horse that great, you accept an opinion or two. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

BarBee (Three Bars was her grandsire on top and bottom) was a halter, broodmare, showmanship, leadline, walk-trot par excellence. She did not canter under saddle and the rider had best be under 10.

Vet could and did come palpate her loose in the stall while we were at work. Never spooked at a darn thing in the ~15 years we had her. Never stopped taking care of her small rider even with a foal at foot. On the rare occasions she said NO, it was non-negotiable and you might as well remember that going forward because it was a permanent no for all time :laughing:

You can see one of her babies in an earlier post I made in this thread.

Edit to correct - Diamond 2 Bar granddaughter on top and bottom, so Three Bars was one generation back.

2 Likes