Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

My parents stood a son of Doc Bar for a few years during the latter part of Juniper’s life; Doc’s Juniper. https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/docs+juniper
He went back to Three Bars three times on his papers. I would not call any of our horses by this stud an 8th as opinionated as my current PITA bay warmblood mare! We had about 3-5 foals by him every year for 5 or 6 years and they were all really lovely horses. Including my heart horse who died at my farm a couple years ago a month or two after he turned 29. Some went on to be ranch horses, some showed in QH breed shows, many were cutters or reiners. My dad was a Three Bars aficionado so we had many and them being opinionated like you’re describing doesn’t stand out in my mind. I’ve also been perplexed by the “red mare” stereotype in the English world. We had oodles of red mares with Doc Bar bloodlines and they were amazing mares and none were difficult.

@axl I’d be curious to know your horse’s other lines? The QH lines I have found to be opinionated/challenging were Hancock and Peppy horses. If I had the funds to clone a few of the horses I had as a kid, I’d do it in a heartbeat bc I’m too lazy to make an effort to relearn the modern QH bloodlines!

4 Likes

She was a chestnut with a blanket as it happens, but I also did not learn of the chestnut mare stereotype until I became immersed in the H/J world.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the photos of your talented horses that were/are out there showing their quality…

8 Likes

There are people who know how to choose breeding stock and raise good horses, and clearly you’re one of them, @TomNeese. Your horses are in an entirely different league from the person being discussed here, because you have a good eye and understanding of structure and form to function.

32 Likes

Its that one who keeps jumping the fence and covering those random mares

8 Likes

When I read “bloody”, I thought she was swearing.

Wasn’t Three Bars actually a Thoroughbred?

I met a gelded son of Rugged Lark oh so long ago. He was HOT and was sold to a beginner woman rider where I boarded. I think she was afraid of her gelding, but Rugged Lark was THE sire at that time, and everyone wanted an offspring of his.

5 Likes

Yes he was.

https://www.aqha.com/-/three-bars

Rugged Lark was bred to a lot of different types of mares, the hot could have come from anywhere.

1 Like

I honestly think he wants to show off a bit which is fine. They have very nice horses but THIS thread has nothing to do with that. This thread is and has always been about HBK and her horrible breeding practices and care for her poor horses and about 1000 ridiculous things regarding HBK.

7 Likes

This thread has not always been about Kate Shearer/Kathryn Shearer/Genie Dormady. There is another thread that fits that description, but it went quiet after this one morphed into a KS thread.
This thread started as a simple question about DHH for jumping.

A person who breeds nice horses has every right to be proud of their horses.

28 Likes

I agree. I did not read the whole thread from the beginning.

1 Like

Absolutely.
And Neese’s stock is exemplary.

25 Likes

Since this thread goes everywhere and I said I would update “Note to Self” my experience buying from Bowie Livestock

21 Likes

It’s kind of gone from funny to pathetic to just sad.

1 Like

I can see why you find this thread discouraging, but it’s lovely to see the horses you breed and their accomplishments.

13 Likes

Off to read!

I mean it beat mine that year, (who was a year older because covid cancelled prior year) who was top scoring KWPN at the young horse finals in Tryon last year. It’s one person’s opinion of the horses in front of them on that day. There were certainly a lot of lovely animals presented that year.

8 Likes

I think it’s interesting that Kate understands the necessity for multiple judges to weigh in on the quality of her dogs (it takes at least three outs to put a champion on one, although finishing on 3 5 point majors is rare) but totally misses that concept for her horses. Her entire breeding program hangs on this reserve jumper foal?

If multiple foals had multiple wins in hand, it would mean something. A single foal having a single good day means so little regarding the program as a whole.

13 Likes

In general I find the scoring at Keurings and YHS shows to be a little more random than hunter breeding shows.

I know of a couple foals that went to the KWPN at Iron Springs last year. I found the scoring… a little head scratchy overall. Not that any of the foals were not nice, but there were some small flaws that got really DINGED in the scores and other flaws that I would say are worse for a sport horse that didn’t seem to bother the judges as much. They definately had a type that they were looking for and horses I thought were actually nicer but less that type scored lower than I would have expected.

YHS is all over the map. I went to Tryon for the finals. They had a qualifier a couple of DAYS prior. DAYS. So not much is going to change in a matter of days, right? The number #1 horse in the qualifier got a GREAT score and then a few days later a very middling, middle of the pack score. Same venue. Same horse. Doing the same things. HUGE swing in scoring. The scores in YHS in general seem kind of random… some judges score much higher than others. The judging seems very skewed to certain types and being older generally seems to be better than being younger, even though horses are only judged against others of the same age. It just feels…kind of random.

HB seems MUCH less random. Yes, sometimes there’s a little shuffling in the order between the top 2 and ocassional you have shows where everything is wonky and you’re like “what?” But generally the best horses come out on top again and again no matter who the judge and no matter the competition. And they stay competitive from year to year to year.

So… I don’t really know how to explain that except as a data point that, at least to me, someone who is fairly into the hunter breeding world, who is doing YHS, and who knows some horses being inspected for KWPN-- YHS and the inspections seem a lot more like “you could just have a lucky day” as compared to HB.

5 Likes

Didn’t KS mention in some reply that her foals/young horses were going to do the YHS this year? I don’t think there is one in FL so I assume she means she will aim for the one at TIEC in Sept.

Also, the KWPN keuring schedule was recently amended to include a site in Ocala. Isn’t that where KS is now? The original schedule didn’t have any locations in FL - I think the closest site was in North Georgia.

WB inspections are real “head scratchers” to me with same horses being eligible for multiple registries. We took our Hanovarian bred stallion to the North American stallion test at Hilltop Farm and he was lifetime approved and licensed for breeding by not only Hanovarian but also the Oldenburg and Westfalen verbands. Our Tuigpaard mare and her daughter by Flexible are both also approved broodmares for Holsteiners. We have two TB mares also approved broodmares for Holsteiner. All four mares have foals rated premium by the Holsteiner registry. When we took our Tuigpaard mare and her flexible baby to a KWPN inspection years ago, the Dutch judges looked at her like she was a three eyed squid !! They asked why we were at the riding inspection instead of the harness inspection, place our foal last out of nine. Afew years later the baby now grown was approved and rated premium by the Holsteiner registry, so……

the video clip is of our three eyed squid and her Cornet Obolensky daughter at a Holsteiner inspection . The Cornet Obolensky daughter, N Chantress, is now four, 16.3H and just walked across the scale yesterday at 1418lbs !!
15 Likes