Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

My old mare had regular AQHA papers. The little guy has appendix papers and the plan was to show him and earn his full papers. But he didn’t turn out as expected. He obviously didn’t care one whit about my plans. :rofl:

I’ve encountered breed bias in both directions. Moving forward a few decades, people seem to be more open minded as long as the horse can get the job done safely. (And many probably wouldn’t mind having a @TomNeese horse turn up in their barn. I sure wouldn’t!) IME off-breeds are more prevalent when owners are less competition focused and/or more DIYers. But others may have different experiences.

2 Likes

My large pony was a QH/TB cross, and a registered Palomino. She measured 14.2 hh as long as she had a trim before shows.

Peanut Butter was a proven large pony hunter winner, and had the best personality for a kid! She did anything I wanted to try with enthusiasm.

Photos are from earliest to latest.

27 Likes

You’ve got long legs, but with her deep girth I bet she filled it out. Gorgeous chunky Peanut Butter :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Back in the day before the warmblood invasion, appendix QHs were super common amongst the folks in these parts who were doing show hunters, dressage, combined training, show jumping, fox hunting, trail riding, etc. I recall many an occasion when there were more appendix QHs at a competition or hunt or poker ride than straight TBs or straight QHs (or any other breed or cross). Some trainers even actively looked for appendix QHs for their lesson strings and for clients because they were generally smaller, saner, sounder, and less “fragile” than OTTBs.

7 Likes

She did until 7th grade, when I grew 3” over the summer and started looking huge on her.

She was sold (I cried for days) into a great home with a small woman who fit her perfectly and wanted a nice horse/pony to do small local hunter shows and take out for hacks.

She sent me pictures for over a year. Unfortunately they are Polaroids and didn’t age well.

7 Likes

Can you scan the photos?
I have snapshots over 30yo that I’ve “preserved” by taking a pic with my phone & editing as best I could.
At least they’re safe in The Cloud :roll_eyes:
This one is from 1989:

6 Likes

It would be worth trying, but they’ve deteriorated so badly already that I think I’m too late to save them. But they’re not from when she was still my pony, so the loss isn’t so painful.

Here’s are two photos of the best ones. I love the little heart she clipped on Peanie’s rump!

But the regular photos (for the younger generations they came from camera film—you can look it up online :rofl:), they’ve held up perfectly as long as they’re stored correctly. In fact I have photo albums from my grandparents’ young years (1920s) that still look like new.

17 Likes

Gonna continue with being a bit off topic and include a pic of my AQHA mare at her second show. Right now she’s just doing beginner dressage things but she really loves jumping and will likely start showing over fences by the end of the year in the jumpers. She’s already jumped up 2’9 and that was before she had really started building muscle. She’s only 15h so also not your typical English focused quarter horse from what I’ve seen (correct me if I’m wrong) and I’m super excited for her future! She has so much heart and down the line I’m sure I would do anything to have another horse like her. I continue to be amazed with the variety I see in quarter horses and wish they were more widely accepted in the hunter/jumper and dressage worlds.:heart:

22 Likes

My Old Man is an appendix, Three Bars bred. I’d take another of him in a heartbeat - he’s a horse of a lifetime. He looks more like a tiny TB than a QH though.

I will say - from what I’ve seen of the “beefier” looking QHs in jumping disciplines is LOTS of suspensory injuries. I don’t know if it’s their bulk, or their bone to bulk ratio, or their conformation. I’m sure lots go on without issue, it just seems extremely common in my circles.

In didn’t realize it was a thing still to say your horse is Three Bars bred especially since he died in 1968 and likely at least half the QHs alive have Three Bars in their pedigree.It makes sense if it was a horse you had back in the day, but after a few generations?

I don’t say that about my 30 YO mare, I say she’s a granddaughter of American Dandy. Three Bars is 6 generations back, my old gelding he was 5 generations back, if people didn’t recognize his sires name I’d say he was Otoe bred through Otoes Goldenrod, which was a bit closer.

7 Likes

Oh, I lost my Old Man’s paperwork long ago. He’s a mish mash of a lot of different bloodlines, certainly not “well” or “purpose bred” for anything. It’s one of the few names in his pedigree that I actually remember, haha

His registered name is Shane Niko Bars.

1 Like

I wish I still had my AQHA membership to look him up for you. My horses have all been pretty random bred too.

I just remember some cow blood from Poco something, Three Bars, and Bold Ruler somewhere back there. I think I printed out a detailed bloodline thing for him, but his papers have been lost for many many years.

I’m such an organizational freak, that it truly surprises me that I lost them. It’s the most important piece of paperwork I think I’ve ever permanently misplaced. Annoys me, and will forever. lol

Someone find me a good QH stallion for Shayney and I’ll do it. You can have it if it’s a colt, I keep it if it’s a filly. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I seriously want a palomino hunter for my next QH, though a buckskin would do as well. In case you’re taking orders. :wink:

4 Likes

Find me something, I’m willing to do it. She’d cross better on a HUS QH than a warmblood, IMO. She herself looks more like an appendix than a warmblood, to me.

2 Likes

If this is correct, he’s on the All-Breed pedigree query.

https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/shane+niko+bars

1 Like

Ha, it is! And it shows how little I remember, “Three Bars” isn’t even on there :rofl:, it was “Niko Three Bars!”

Thank god it doesn’t really matter for a gelding, eh?

EDIT: I guess I shouldn’t say he ISNT on there, because he’s just a generation off. He’s just not anywhere close, and it’s pretty ballsy for the owners of the sire to bring back in “Three Bars” into the name when he’s multiple generations back. Regardless, Niko the Old Man is one of a kind and I would take another one of him in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

Wow! What a looker, she has gorgeous coat coloring.

A few years back I was watching the dressage grand prix class at a show in northern CA, a black bay quarterhorse was the only non warmblood. He wasn’t a fancy mover but was very obedient and willing, and his rider rode a precise test. I knew they wouldn’t win let alone place well but they were my favorite. Steady and true.

6 Likes

According to Horse and Hound, on a bay mare you’d need to use a homozygous cremello stallion, and you would only have a chance of a palomino foal. Other color possibilities are buckskin and smoky black.

( I am not a student of horse-color genetics, nor do I play one on tv!:laughing:)

Thank you so much! It’s very cool that a quarter can get to a higher level, I’m sure there was so much work that went into that horse to get him there.

1 Like