Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

I’m glad you shared. I completely forgot Tuffernhel went back to Three Bars. I haven’t been paying enough attention to QH pedigrees lately, more the STBs so I have a clue what the DH & DD are talking about.

1 Like

I bet many could but they’re passed over because they have good gaits not fancy ones.

At an event clinic a guy was riding an Appendix, he said his horse was at 3rd level dressage and years before that they did hunters. A 16.3h chestnut gelding, built like a tank with big legs and feet.

1 Like

I think finding one of those in a QH hunter type would be almost impossible sadly. Most seem to be reining or working cowhorse lines.

Unfortunately keeping track of colour genetics is sort of a hobby of mine, (unfortunate in that I spend way too much time reading a couple of different groups that fortunately have some sharp members who really get this colour stuff). The colour options would also depend on the mare’s agouti status. If she’s AA no chance of a smoky black and if she’s EE AA only a buckskin.

3 Likes

The pic I posted was an enlargement from one of those Oldtime snaps, taken with a non-digital camera :grin:
Original is still very sharp, color & detail.
{sings}Kodachrooooome!!!

5 Likes

“Give me those nice bright colors. Give me the greens of summer.”

I love Simon and Garfunkel songs so much. Kodachrome, Cecilia and Sound of Silence are my absolute favorites!

6 Likes

Interesting!
My trainer has always told me that most horses should be pretty capable of doing dressage. She’s told me a few times that she likes when a good hunter or jumper can at least school 1st level, so it’s pretty cool when horses can come from that background and excel in dressage. I’ve also always loved when a horse of an “unconventional” breed excels and enjoys a discipline they aren’t bred for, even if they aren’t exactly naturally suited for it.

2 Likes

There was a Chips Chocolate Chip son that showed PSG. Bred for Western Pleasure. Unfortunately I’m not having any luck finding the article on him.

I think there’s a lot of QHs and Appendix that could pass for a warmblood if no one knew their real breeds.

I used to own an OTTB that was mistaken as a small warmblood by two knowledgeable warmblood breeders and a well respected vet who saw his conformation and saw him move.

Table Mountain Ranch in Golden, CO, if anyone knows it

Spotting the emus next door for the first time. :laughing:

13 Likes

Oh let me know if you find any info!

1 Like

Oh he is stunning!

1 Like

I shared it on my Facebook about 10 years ago, but I can’t figure out how to search it. If I find it I will share, it might be on the AQHA site somewhere.

1 Like

My children’s hunter was a perfect little mud brown appendix mare who would trail ride, swim in a river, ride through a McDonald’s drive through, and (on her best days) could and did ribbon over fences at Del Mar National (1000 years ago.) She moved horribly, but would jump with her knees to her chin, and she was my best friend. I wish I still had a picture.

13 Likes

I knew someone who financed a lot of her vet school expenses by buying hunter type stock horse breeds, trailering them to the East Coast, and selling them to sport horse people. She got a lot of them from the rez. The ones who were too big or too slow for Indian Relay.

1 Like

Someone thought my chunky tobi APHA mare was KWPN because she was spotted at a dressage show, to which my trainer proudly responded, “Nope, this one’s a cow horse.” I love my mare, but she has the look of a stock horse—a refined stock horse thanks to her TB dam, but still—a stock horse all day. The ones with more blood can pass more but my mare is a bit undersized for her breeding anyway, all of her full siblings are at least a hand taller, if not two.

4 Likes

Friend had a Pepe San Badger baby.
Bought as a 3yo, she was showing him 4th & that was probably 10yrs ago (we’re not in touch).

Another long ago friend had a QH - registered as Tom Raffles - she showed to PSG.

2 Likes

Don’t forget:

3 Likes

Love this song, but it’s missing the Garfunkel. :wink:

2 Likes

Many moons ago, I had an ApHC gelding named Bo’s Sterling Bar. He apparently had Three Bars somewhere back in his pedigree and I was told either his sire or grandsire held an Appaloosa world record for racing (although I am not sure of the distance).

I did mostly dressage and a lot of trail riding with him and also hunted him some. He had a topline like a warmblood from the dressage work and pretty nice movement (although more hunter-y than dressage-y), and I got asked on more than one occasion if he was a WB/Appy cross. :smile:

3 Likes

Well, just dropping in here to say that many R line stallions have produced really nice hunters. Rubinstein, Rotspon, ect… so technically more dressage bred, these lines aren’t as extravagant movers as the Dressage Bloodlines Dijour, tend to have flatter movement pattern, yank their knees over fences, but are smooth jumpers… and quiet minds. More for hunters. Not for jumpers.

Deniro is not one of those stallions.

5 Likes

Please send me one!!!

1 Like