Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

The $64,000 question. :laughing:

9 Likes

Can you imagine if this nonsense from her goes on for a couple of more years?

It will. She will keep breeding this mish mash of horses. THEY ARE NOT SELLING. What happens in a couple years when she is stuck with all these poorly bred animals. What then? Truly sad.

7 Likes

This to me, really highlights the mental instability of KS and how she sees her stock. Laughable but so pathetic and sad. Again, the horses will lose. :sleepy:

14 Likes

It is truly sad. There are already too many mediocre horses in the world. As a breeder you should take responsibility for every life you bring into the world. She is bringing a lot of lives into the world, what happens when they need a soft landing?

18 Likes

A raffle, that is what happens when they need a soft landing.

11 Likes

I thought both he and the foal have very straight hind pasterns

It’s the flip flops

1 Like

Gonna be a hell of a raffle!

2 Likes

What in the tin foil hat?

Also struggling with the concept that your breeding program “cannot be denied.” What accomplishments other than a premium scoring foal has your program produced? I can’t even find something you’ve produced under saddle with a normal canter, and yet in your head your breeding direction has reached such heights that no one can “deny it?”

Also, have you ever stopped to question why breeding jumpers to DHH is not a thing? That this isn’t even a breeding direction that’s common or exists so that it may be denied?

You are delulu.

45 Likes

nooooo, not the tin foil hat! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Wise words will always fall on deaf ears. She would rather burn alive in a pit of harness horses that admit that maybe, just maybe, this program is not working.

5 Likes

I hear what you are saying, and ponder what is best in this situation. I mean, this thread is eternally long, and likely so long that new readers would never make their way through it. So, sometimes I post for fear that some newbie would come along and actually believe her statement that all her horses did well at the keuring. We can now see for sure that they did not, and it’s notable that this is when she has finally gone silent on here (recently
we know she will be back eventually).

Is she thriving off the attention, and is it what she lives for? Absolutely, yes. So, in that way, it’d be better to withdraw it.

What I’d actually love for KWPN to do now is actually post all of her scores, so this back and forth is not needed. Just show everyone the scores
then nothing more needs to be said as I feel pretty confident they will speak for themselves. She had a LOT of horses inspected, and I can only assume a lot of scores under 70. But it’d be nice if we could just see the scores and no longer need to assume.

Hopefully all of this will show her the gig is up in terms of breeding for color so she can then try to charge large amounts, all to support herself. Hopefully she soon will need to find another means for financial survival, resulting in less innocent animals suffering
and less risk of unknowledgeable people ending up with a horse from a breeder with no scruples.

Bottom line, it’s hard to know what might help the horses the most.

13 Likes

The breeder in question reminds me of how in the early years of breeding sport horses in NA, many, many breeders believed that crossing draft mares with TB stallions would produce offspring on a par with those being produced in Germany, the Netherlands, etc. Said breeders were insistent that they were breeding “warmbloods” but they really had very little understanding of the importance of genotype, of bloodlines, of conformation, of form-to-function. And by and large, the foals they produced could not measure up to well-bred true warmblood foals. It seemed to take ages (well, at least a decade or so) before the needle started moving in a positive direction, with more and more serious breeders putting $$$ into quality warmblood mares - and the quality of sport horse foals produced in NA went up accordingly.

Some of those early TB/draft breeders saw the light and either realigned their breeding programs or they gave up breeding and drifted into other endeavors. It will be interesting to see if KS ever sees the light. I suspect not, given the arrogant stubbornness she has exhibited thus far.

21 Likes

Aren’t some of them 3 this year? If they’re such superstars, where are they? According to Kate, they should be lighting the world on fire.

12 Likes

OOhhh yes, I remember this!

A lot of people were saying Hot (TB) + Cold (Draft) = Warmblood. So clueless

6 Likes

I remember this as well. It was all the rage to have a T-Perch in the hunt field.

3 Likes

Actually I can sort of agree with that on a technical basis - hotblood (TB or Arabian) plus coldblood (draft) is basically a “warmblood”. But it is not a warmblood in the sense that we have come to understand them, or in the way they have been produced by breeders in (primarily) northern Europe. That is where those early NA breeders were off track - they did not understand and/or refused to acknowledge that the European breeders had been producing warmblood sport horses for many, many generations and at a fairly large scale. The Europeans had learned through trial and error what types and what lines and what crosses worked, and what didn’t work. They had been able to consolidate their breeding pools to reflect individuals from lines proven to possess the type of qualities they were striving for, and they could predict with usually a fair amount of success what the results of a particular cross would be. Were they on the mark 100% of the time? No, far from it. But they were much more successful at it than the average TB/draft breeder in NA - and therefore many, many years ahead of the U.S in large scale production of quality sport horses. The proof is in the huge numbers of imports into NA from Europe over the past 30+ years. Sport horse competitors want the European type of warmblood for dressage, eventing, show jumping, show hunters. They do not in general want the old “American” type of warmblood (aka TB/draft cross ).

Edited to add that I will also postulate that savvy competitors aren’t going to want a DHH cross for sport horse disciplines, either - at least, not if they hope to be successful at anything other than the lowest levels of the sport.

4 Likes

Yup. I can’t stand those things. Clunky and hard headed

2 Likes

IIRC, someone even trademarked the name “Thorcheron”.

13 Likes

:face_vomiting: :joy: :face_vomiting: :roll_eyes:

2 Likes