Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

I asked this a couple times on the thread. I didn’t see a response. They are old enough for HB, YHS, YEH, etc. The ones that are three are old enough to be doing some basic intro dressage, YHUS, etc.

I also asked whether many of them have sold but since the breeder was still listed as the owner as of the time of the inspection the answer to that appears to be “no.” That question also went unanswered (that I can see).

I also asked about this and it didn’t get an answer. It doesn’t seem like any of the DHH crosses from the program have shown in anything aside from one older horse (a gray, maybe it was 6 or 7) that has done low level jumpers at one or two shows per USEF and finished non-spectacularly. Maybe it’s done more now. As best as I can tell (in the absence of the breeder actually answering questions on this thread that she seems to skip right by so she can answer other questions or change the subject) that seems to be the grand total of all the showing any offspring from this program have produced. One horse that is a middling low level amateur jumper. That seem to be it?! You would think the breeder herself would at least show the ones that are “keeper fillies” and future breeding stock on the line herself, to have them get some sort of a record? But it doesn’t look like she has.

If the whole point of these crosses was that it was going to create these amazing superstars, isn’t it a problem that it seems impossible to get them sold into homes with people who are going to make them up and show them? If they’re not selling at all, or not selling to people who are going to show them… how is this ever going to work?

15 Likes

I suspect that she posted about the “keeper fillies” as a way to generate interest.

4 Likes

Way back before many folks in this area had ever seen a European WB of any type, I had an acquaintance who was bringing in what she called “Canadian Hunters.” They were mostly 3/4 TB - 1/4 Percheron - sometimes half and half - but they were pretty popular with fox hunters as well as people starting to play around in fledgling hunters and combined training. I used to ride one of them - a lovely, lovely mare who produced some quite nice offspring when crossed with TB stallions. I think one of her last foals was by a Holsteiner stallion and that one turned out to be a nice low level mount but he was pretty big and heavy - much more substantial than the ones sired by the TB stallions.

9 Likes

yup. said it before, maybe If she wants it, others will too. So lame. Her sales tactics are horrible.

6 Likes

I would be shocked to see if any of her horses that she has bred are even broke yet. I would bet money she’s not capable of doing it herself, and that means you have to pay someone.

4 Likes

She has offspring under saddle. There were (and may still be) videos on FB of them. Of the two short videos I saw, there were major issues with the canter.

14 Likes

I’m honestly interested to see how a DHH/jumper would canter under saddle. Not just her horses but in general. Jumper canters can be so so so uphill and obviously the Dutch canter is… exuberant. I wonder what it’s like to ride?

4 Likes

Dhh crosses tend to be a lot like Friesian crosses. They can end up with a good canter but you essentially need to gallop them for the first two years. It’s so easy with the flatter croup to have a trailing hind end and a flailing front that people confuse with “big”. I almost never see a cross that as a youngster actually consistently brings their hind feet up to the midpoint or anywhere near the girth line.

You need to get them forward with actual speed until they learn to really separate their hinds, find a true three beat, and lose the chaotic front end. Once you have a really flat boring canter then you can start asking for more of the shift and end up with some actual sit and lift.

It hasn’t been a massive sample but out of the dozen or so that I’ve met, the ones that fell for the “big” baby movement ended up with serious four beat issues and unwillingness to maintain a canter. The ones that spent a lot of time on trails, hunter pacing, and going around with minimal contact eventually developed at least an acceptable true three beat canter. Some ended up being quite nice canters in time but always retained the risk of going four beat when slow was confused for sitting because of the naturally expressive front end.

22 Likes

Well no shit Sherlock!

Thank you I stand corrected. I bet those are some interesting videos.

1 Like

I had a TB Pervh cross, born in 2002. I did take him to an American Warmblood Society inspection. I just wanted some kind of registration for him to prove age, etc

He was the highest scorer of his inspection, and ended up 3rd in country for yearlings.

The people with imported warm bloods were not happy. I was :). At the end of the day, it’s just 1 persons opinion. He did grow to be a nice horse. Probably not better than those he beat

I can’t find his inspection or sales photos

15 Likes

Qfp

Interesting .

3 Likes

Poor Drew.

I’m confused about how Kate went from claiming that the inspectors loved her breeding program, to they think this is unorthodox and begrudge her the scores.

39 Likes

The fact that Drew stayed super professional and wished her luck with BWP signed it “kindest regards”…

Good for Drew. She’s more magnanimous than I would be

The fact that Kate screenshots this and shares it on the thread with some extra snark?

Yikes.

Good luck BWP.

33 Likes

You’re the first (beyond my little riding group) to advocate for teaching the gallop first. I honestly think that is key with other breeds as well.

5 Likes

I personally think this can be individual as say, riding a Casall canter versus a Carthago…

BUT from my personal experience, it is VERY different. Wayyy upthread, the entire reason I ever participated in this thread to begin with, I spoke of the lovely DHH in my barn. He safely does the .90s and he is very fun. The canter is…unconventional to say the least, but very comfortable.

I ride many well bred jumpers every day (my personal horse is Baloubet, but we have many top bred hunters and jumpers in the barn) so I have quite a bit to compare it to. I’d rather sit the DHH center over my mare’s, but only one of them has the scope and stride to do more than .90 :wink:

11 Likes

Hey I am not sufficiently caffeinated yet…

BWP?

ButIWantedaPony?
Belgian Warmblood … Pony?

3 Likes

It’s shocking isn’t it. What a real charmer. Don’t stop now Kate! You are going places! :rofl: How does a person stay so self absorbed and angry all the time?

11 Likes

I kinda think she shot herself in the foot with this. How will BWP treat her harness mares? With KWPN, there is a clear place for these mares in their studbook, even though Kate’s breeding choices and matches for her mares have most of us scratching our heads. KWPN is pretty unique that way.

9 Likes

BWP is Belgian Warmblood…

https://www.belgian-warmblood.com/en

7 Likes