Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

No sitting that trot! :grin:

2 Likes

Was your STB trotting or pacing? Iā€™ve heard that the pace is even harder to sit than the trot - it constantly throws you from side to side and you better have good balance because if you get even a little bit off center, you will go overboard. :grin:

3 Likes

I can see posting the trot. Sitting - no way!

1 Like

Two point is best.

My daughter didnā€™t have a race saddle like they usually use for Racing Under Saddle (RUS) as itā€™s called in north America, Monte in Europe so used my hunt saddle.

ETA: One of the drivers at the track rode in a western saddle in that race. He was walking funny the rest of the night.

27 Likes

Holy moly. That looks wild!

2 Likes

Yes, definitely a ride to remember!

2 Likes

Oh that trot on the 2nd picture is deliciously huge! I rode in two point because itā€™s too fast to properly post.

Are those racing hobbles on the horse in the 1st pic?

1 Like

They go so fast you really canā€™t post fast enough to keep up. Go to like 5 minutes in this video.
https://youtu.be/hSIrrzGeqcU

2 Likes

Iā€™d guess the issue is that she either isnā€™t capable of starting young horses or canā€™t afford to pay someone to do it for her. Why, when they donā€™t sell as weanlings or in utero, she keeps breeding more of them Iā€™ll never understand.

Instead of keeping unsold unbroke 2 year olds to breed at 3, sheā€™d be a lot better off having them started under saddle. Her horses would certainly be more likely to sell to amateur homes if they were at least started under saddle. Having a herd of unbroke broodmares with no performance records really isnā€™t a great idea in this case.

That sales advertisement really is bizarre.

29 Likes

Teagan (the mare my DD was riding) occasionally wore trotting hobbles to race, but didnā€™t in that race. It was the only time she raced under saddle. Here is a picture of her warming up around the shedrows since they were concerned about the RUS horses warming up on the track between the races.

12 Likes

Since weā€™re sort of on the topic of Standardbreds, my favorite video of a trotter under saddle ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTcM7tESp2o

13 Likes

Why do they have the pace horses in a sulky galloping? If youā€™re going to have a gallop why not with a rider? And wouldnā€™t the gallop be enticing the trotter to break gait?

Iā€™m guessing,but the mare is probably not used to being on the track with riders up on other horses so perhaps they thought it would distract her?

Thanks @jvanrens that was fun! The mare certainly had a lot of fans.
That didnā€™t look easy to ride at all.

2 Likes

From December 2023. All this talk about Standardbreds reminded me of this DHH cross, bred by Shearer.

5 Likes

I donā€™t know, I just know what was covered, that they were Thoroughbreds being used. I think that is common in time trials with Standardbreds. Itā€™s also possible the horses that could keep pace with her would be currently racing, and they didnā€™t want to miss a week for this.

1 Like

Thereā€™s the Viking ship. Iā€™m sorry, but that horse does not look at all like anything I would want to ride. It does not look at all remotely comfortable.

3 Likes

In the horseā€™s defense yearlings and two year olds can be pretty butt-ugly. My mare was pretty butt-ugly as a three year old with a ewe neck and no hindquarters. But by four she was a swan - complete with high set neck. I am not sure what happened and how her neck turned out the way it did. But her sire, dam and damsire were nice looking horses so she just needed time to grow up. However they donā€™t always turn into swans. I was lucky.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think itā€™s ugly. It just looks like it has horrible conformation the neck is straight up out of the shoulder. The back is flat and the butt is flat. Itā€™s just gross.

5 Likes

If she gave me that horse I would focus on getting the head to come down, relaxing the neck area. I think he could be a nice ammie owner horse if the personality is right. I would like to ride that trot down a trail!

3 Likes

I mean you could talk to Jessica Wisdom who bought him as a 2yo. Just Google her name :wink: guess she didnā€™t think he was so bad lol She has tons of videos of him