Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

Exactly! They are on the Bowie site all day, every day. Some very lovely ones I might add.

5 Likes

I bought him as a weanling

Feel free to look up the direction of my foals on Kwpn. They are registered jumping type not tuigpaard. Gosh how dense are you

I do itā€™s on my Kwpn portal but the microchip confirmation has not been submitted so they are not printed. But they are under my name as owner still so I am the one that can easily release them once microchip confirmation is sent to Kwpn.

never said they were. :rofl: :yawning_face:

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry but lady you are making no sense. Iā€™m not even sure what you are trying to argue anymore. You make no sense clearly stating my 3 lies about the horse I sold Jessica but donā€™t say what my lies are. Then laugh when I say what my horses are registered as but then go the other direction in argument. Oh well. Not like I expect anyone here to make sense but you are all over the place

So, KS bĢ¶oĢ¶uĢ¶gĢ¶hĢ¶tĢ¶ acquired a weaning, owned him for at least several years, had the opportunity to pull hair and have the microchip implanted, but didnā€™t for some reason. Is that correct? Too expensive or too lazy?

28 Likes

I wonder how much longer it will be before Kateā€™s horses are going through such auctions. How much longer can she continue to carry the number of horses she has because she will not lower her prices to meet the market for what her horses really are?

If Iā€™m an amateur, looking to spend mid-5 figures, there are scores of perfectly acceptable horses already doing what she claims her foal will be doing (barring all the pitfalls that can happen between foaling and upper level). If Iā€™m an amateur that doesnā€™t want to clean up in the show ring but want an all around low level horse, there are also scores of horses ready to go for a vastly cheaper price point. Looking at the recent weanlings/yearling being advertised by their breeders in the same market, the others are still well bred (possibly better bred), and more traditionally bred, and bred with a stated focus on being ammy friendly. Both parents individual achievements are presented so you know both parents were capable of the job. And both have an advertised price that is much cheaper than what Kate is asking. (I checked; her ad has no obvious response: ie comments or reactions as of this posting)

So, why would any potential ammy looking for a young horse buy a more expensive prospect with an untraditional and unknown parent?

Itā€™s just a no-brainer. I just donā€™t see how Kate is marketing her horses in a way that matches up with what any particular buyer wants, and I think itā€™s obvious since they donā€™t appear to be selling. At some point, horses that donā€™t sell wind up in the auction pipeline.

21 Likes

I question the whole price issue she made over the weanling she purchased and then sold as a what 2yo? Iā€™m not going to scroll back through all her posts but I think there was a pretty big discrepancy dollars wise.

6 Likes

So well put.

5 Likes

I wouldnā€™t want anything to do with her either as I donā€™t want to associate with people who donā€™t take care of their horses and she seems very unpleasant and can cause a lot trouble, to put it mildly, and frankly, seems to have some sort of mental illness. However, sheā€™s not the only one who has a lot of over the top marketing claims. I see that all the time with lots of breeds. I donā€™t think there is much unusual in this. I like her horses just fine though and I think one of them would work really well for me. I think they are so poorly presented in the ads, in addition to being neglected, and I get that people have a hard time seeing past that, especially in the higher end.

19 Likes

I canā€™t remember how many foals have been produced but registering all of them will cost a few thousand assuming she has had 10+ foals to register. I really donā€™t know how this business model is working. I presume it isnā€™t.

12 Likes

Did we ever hear back on that?

5 Likes

I am not sure folks are dissing those horses for what they probably are - decent enough prospects for people who donā€™t have aspirations of showing on the big circuits and just want something to dink around with at lower levels and/or trail riding, fox hunting, etc. The beef is that she is pricing them as though they are big ring prospects - as though they have conformation and movement suitable for success at upper level sport horse disciplines, and like they have pedigrees of gold, with noted sport horse sires and successful performance sport horses on both sides of the pedigree - which they donā€™t.

The DHH genetics coming through from the damline are not conducive to success in sport horse endeavors - esp. at anything other than low levels - so if she wants to charge big ticket prices for her foals as though they are the next coming, she needs to be using sport horse mares from proven performance pedigrees, and ideally with some performance stats of their own.

The fact that she continues to use mares with DHH genetics shows how much she has to learn about breeding for the big ring, and about genetics in general. While a big name sire may put stars in the eyes of nubies, it doesnā€™t necessarly mean he has been able to overcome the harness horse genes of the dam. Those genes are not generally conducive to producing much of value to sport horses other than a fancy trot. And even the trot is not ideal for sport horses because - as we have pointed out time and again - it is all up and down, the action goes out behind the horse, it does not provide upward or forward propulsion, and it has very little ability to sit, lift, and carry (important attributes for a dressage or jumping horse).

34 Likes

My question exactly. Something doesnā€™t add up. If Jessica actually owns the horse and has finished paying for him, then why does KS feel she has to jump in and try to help market him by promising KWPN papers? What does it matter to her whether Jessica sells him or not? Is she supposed to get money out of the deal?

And why wasnā€™t the registration process completed when KS had him? Why didnā€™t she takes the necessary steps to send in hair samples for parentage verification, complete the necessary microchip procedure, etc.? Why did she leave it for Jessica to do? And why did Jessica not do it? Was/is there a dispute between the two of them about the horseā€™s parentage, ownership, whatever?

So many questionsā€¦ But I will say that from the video of Jessica riding him, she has done a very nice job bringing him along. I do not see any upper level potential in him - that neck ties in pretty low to his chest and makes me think he might be somewhat heavy on the forehand, plus I can see some of that DHH snappiness in his leg action - but he may be a nice low level prospect for someone to play around with.

9 Likes

Itā€™s a gelding. I donā€™t see any benefit to having papers except it proves how old the horse is. I take it the bloodlines are not worth crowing over and it is going under saddle and it is WYSIWYG ( a joke for all you old accountants) - What You See Is What You Get. So maybe that is why Jessica did not feel that it was worth the time and money to get papers. She probably successfully markets these types of horses and her buyers donā€™t care about these things. Unless it would qualify for some sort of high point awards. Now I would want papers if only to see if the horse was the correct age as advertised but I guess a lot of people would not care.

18 Likes

She did not buy your stock. You said you bought him as a weanling, he didnā€™t come from your ā€œbreeding programā€.

28 Likes

7 Likes

That is the target demographic of her business.

Here is my rant on this - you have heard it all before. So many breeders put so much thought into their pairings (the right mare/the right sire), the best nutrition and care, and are so very proud of the offspring and make sure that they get a good start with the best people. And babies they produce are truly a product of blood, sweat and tears. Then we have KS. It just infuriates me.

30 Likes

Also part of her business model is that thereā€™s a big resale (and possibly discount) market in frozen semen from famous stallions, and current technology enables you to split up whatā€™s meant as one dose into multiple doses, and still get a fertilized embryo. So thereā€™s no need to have a mare approved by the stallion owner, or pay full current breeding fees.

7 Likes