Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

I’ve been told that ISR/ONA will license anything with testicles, so that might be an option. Of course, it costs money to get stallions licensed and performance tested, so I guess she will have to find a suck…uh, benefactor to sponsor the horse.

9 Likes

Years ago I showed a 1/2 Arabian sport horse sired by a Hanoverian who was popular at the time (Gran _______). It jumped too flat to be a hunter, but it was cute as a button, very athletic and a blast to show in low jumpers and adult medals. Its full sibling, on the other hand, had a rather unfortunate big, common head and huge bone on a narrow, dainty frame. It moved like an egg beater and couldn’t get out of its own shadow.

Breeding several disparate types is a mixed kettle of fish. Sometimes you end up with a lovely bouillabaisse. Other times you just end up with stinky fish stew.

26 Likes

No one wants to talk about having a large stud colt in with a mini and a donkey??

5 Likes

I don’t want to even think about it let alone discuss. This “breeder” makes me physically ill.

7 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

The donkey might very likely keep him in line. :wink:

5 Likes

A friend of mine turned his mini stallion out with his QHs for a few days before pulling him out because he was torturing his full sized horses. Depending on the mini, it just might not be a bad thing.

Are these equids intact? PLEASE tell me they aren’t mares.

Either way, what a cluster-F.

This colt - though better than most of her other youngstock - has a very long back (especially for a male horse - yikes! Not breeding material)), and that typical (Umm) coarse head. Just MHO, but these jugheaded babies are not going to mature into animals with classy, breedy heads.

I know you don’t ride the head, but unless the horse has a performance record (or at least potential after being started, ridden, maybe going to some young horse evaluations/performance testing) AND is from athletic parents who produce quality athletes - well in that case, yeah, people will excuse a “noble” head - especially in a purpose bred youngster.

These are NOT (in spite of what Kate insists) “purpose bred youngsters.”

And sorry - people are shallow (I readily admit to this) and heads that look like lunchboxes are just NOT appealing to most potiential buyers.

8 Likes

Well according to this she only has 1 left from this year. Isn’t he the Royce colt that she was talking about breeding to Arabian mares when he matures?

Oy vey.

“Out of my great producing DUTCH mare Evie.”

Doesn’t she mean DUTCH HARNESS HORSE mare?!?! And exactly what has she produced???

2 Likes

I guess it has never crossed Kate’s mind that the colt is jumping into the mares’ paddock for a reason, other than that he enjoys the platonic company of the mares more than he does the donkey and the mini? :grimacing:

1 Like

Now I’m one for a “jughead”, I like a big head and big ears, and I’ll take a big nose too :heart_eyes: :grin: But I think from now on instead of saying I prefer a noble (roman nose) head I’ll say I prefer a lunchbox :rofl:

2 Likes

Absolutely howling. I will never again refer to a head as coarse or plain. Lunchboxes forevermore.

1 Like