Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

I’d say the horses are the ones learning the hard way. She doesn’t appear to be learning much, if anything. Or at least if the suffering happening it isn’t affecting her directly - just the horses.

15 Likes

I think I should be looking at my little $800.00 mare, bought nearly 10 years ago, in a different light - according to the KS school of economics?

That girl is now worth mega-bucks! I’ve fed her, built her shelters, called in veterinary help, hoof-care practitioners, supplied her wardrobe for all this time. Shame that I forgot to exploit her breeding potential; if only I could find a pretty Appaloopyiak or Shetlandic or something and create my own market!

24 Likes

Is that like a ponydoodle?

12 Likes

Yes. But lovely and hairy and can jump.

11 Likes

When it feels like it. :wink: :laughing:

4 Likes

I have a good friend with lots of connections in the racing world, and she is the new proud owner of a royally bred 3 yo gelding by a multiple stakes winner whose stud fee was $125K in 2020.

He never made it to the track, never got a gate card, never had a recorded work. Completely uninterested in the job, and is going to make a lovely, ammy friendly hunter.

By the time you consider mare care and raising the colt until he was 3, his breeder must have $200K in him.

He was free, and the owner paid to ship him to his new home. They did not ask for any part of the $200K they had in him, they were happy to find him a soft landing. Because the world is not kind to royally bred TBs with no interest in galloping, let alone racing.

Bless his breeder and owner who made this decision, rather than flogging him around a bunch of cheap races trying to make a fraction of their investment back.

I wish there were more people in the industry like them. And fewer like Kate.

40 Likes

Plot twist…

5 Likes

Poor mare. Not sure why your harvest eggs if you’re getting out of breeding but seems like she’s not.

25 Likes

Did she ever see that mare for more than an egg machine?

Gross.

35 Likes

Ok so she’s harvesting eggs from a dead mare. When she’s supposed to be getting out of breeding altogether.

Colic absolutely is a management issue, the irregular feeding schedules here aren’t going to help. Or the sand.

27 Likes

Everything about that post disgusts me. And it does nothing to honor the poor mare.

43 Likes

That is the most senseless, uncaring, self absorbed post I’ve seen about the death of an animal in a while. Nothing about the mare, just about her conflicts with other people and the only valuable part of the horse (to Kate) - the eggs. How much did she suffer while Kate worried about harvesting?

RIP Reba - no horse deserves to be owned by Kate Shearer.

56 Likes

How horrible. :anguished:

2 Likes

or the parasite load, or the empty stomach for days, or
possibly empty dirty water troughs…
Poor, poor mare. Your suffering
is finally over. Peace.

8 Likes

The entire post is… volatile. But in all fairness, she says this mare has been at EMS for the last 2 years. Which seems unusual… long term board at a reproduction clinic for a mare that isn’t part of a recipient herd. But whatever.

I guess they kept her onsite there to make all the ICSI easier?

Harvesting eggs is a strange choice for someone who is getting out of breeding. Is it expensive to harvest eggs from a deceased mare? Anyone know the odds of getting actual embryos from eggs harvested in this manner?

I hope the poor mare didn’t suffer too long. At least she was at a clinic when the colic happened, as opposed to being at the Florida farm with all the staffing issues.

2 Likes

Can you message me please I don’t know how to use this I am the one who bought the filly that started all this drama

12 Likes

I hope the filly is doing better.

Welcome to the BB.

13 Likes

She is doing so much better.

Funny thing is Kate is trying to turn this around on the buyer and blame everything on her.

10 Likes

I’m not quite sure what good it would do for me to PM you? I didn’t even start this chat thread, and I don’t have any inside knowledge about Kate’s apparently abhorrent horse care practices, just what we’ve pieced together from her own public announcements.

We’d all love to hear that the filly is thriving and loved, and hasn’t suffered any permanent damage.

17 Likes

Yes, thank you the filly is doing well.

23 Likes