Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

I can’t remember, but was “Reba” - the mare that just coliced and passed away - your filly’s biological dam?

Yes ma’am

3 Likes

Well - I’m glad your filly is with you now, and getting a good chance at a good life as grows into a young horse.

2 Likes

Very glad to hear it. Best of luck with her for the future.

2 Likes

She is still in FL with a friend I am active duty military

41 Likes

She looks so much better already!! Yay.

6 Likes

Thank you for your service.

The filly looks a lot better already in that picture!

8 Likes

She looks much better! I hope the two of you have many happy years together!

3 Likes

Wt…I just can’t. And she is complaining about COTH on FB not having any sympathy. Dude - leave that poor mare alone and let her rest in peace.

15 Likes

She thinks I am somebody I am not. Somebody from her past who is out to defame her. Because she can’t quite get her head around the fact that just her own public facing social media is enough to make anyone find her horse care and breeding problematic.

17 Likes

It just seems so strange to spend money to harvest eggs from this mare after she’s passed, when Kate

1. Has a number of weanlings and youngstock she has yet to sell, many of who have this same dam
  2. Is expecting a number of 2024 foals that have not yet sold - some also with this same dam
  3. Has frozen embryos from this mare that haven’t yet been implanted - one from this same dam

And of course…

1. Claims to be getting out of breeding and selling everything (she literally posted a public detailed sales list just a few weeks ago)
12 Likes

Simply posting you are either 1 keeping the mare alive long enough to get another harvest, or 2 harvesting from her dead body is horrifying. I feel like you should take the mention on FB as a badge of honor!

12 Likes

You think they might have actually harvested eggs from this poor mare while she was in the midst of a catastrophic colic?

Wouldn’t that violate some sort of ethical code? That’s just … awful to even contemplate. I can’t imagine a vet clinic would be willing to do that.

3 Likes

Again. I just cant…

I can’t access her FB posts anymore. Pretty sure she blocked me for asking why her grey mare was so thin. Then she took that picture down.

2 Likes

Can the various hormonal manipulations needed to make a mare ovulate on schedule cause colic?

Also we don’t know where the mare really was. Just because Kate says she was at the repro vet doesn’t mean it’s true

10 Likes

Not really. Lutalyse/Estrumate (prostaglandin), which is used to “short cycle” a mare, can cause cramping and colic-like symptoms, but those are transient and minor.

2 Likes

Without sharing any opinions on if this particular horse does or does not warrant egg harvesting, harvesting eggs after/during euthanasia happens a lot more often then some people seem to think. I know of at least 2 people who lost beloved mares suddenly and were offered and took this option and if a mare is a good reproducer a farm would chose the option as well. A vet is not going to harvest eggs while a horse thrashes around in colic, that’s just ridiculous to entertain that even happening.

15 Likes

Wow. I had no idea.

Exactly. Oocyte recovery of a performance mare (or a beloved mare) is down to a science. Whether any can be salvaged is another story, but not uncommon. Most are probably in agreement whether this should be done in this situation, but the actual recovery and retrieval is pretty textbook.

4 Likes