Opinions on DHH crosses for jumping?

Not surprising. However, no one here will fall for it.

4 Likes

So they attempt to harvest eggs right after the mare passes?

I can understand that, on a practical level, especially for wonderful top performance or top producing mares. Butā€¦ I have lots of questions about viability, if euthanasia drugs impact odds of successful creation/implantation of embryos, etc.

If the mare actually was at EMS when she coliced, as reported, it probably is an optimal situation in terms of logistics and timing of trying to harvest eggs.

4 Likes

There is more empathy and sympathy expressed for Reba by commenters in this thread, while KS can only use the opportunity to display her typical ego-fueled twisted attitude.

You earned your wings, Reba, soar.

19 Likes

How so?

1 Like

Normally the ovaries are removed and then shipped to a facility that can do the retrieval. If the mare is already at EMS, I believe they are able to do that there. A DVM would have to comment on if the euthanasia drugs are problematic for this or not, and also the success rates. But agree with the other poster that said it happens alot.

4 Likes

Right? Hopefully the mare did not suffer, and I am sorry for her loss. But, is anyone surprised by her narcissistic behavior?
Kate- please do everyone and your animals a favor and stop breeding them.

17 Likes

In these cases ovaries are harvested before euthanasia meds are given.

The ICSI process itself does have risk (as all repro procedures do) and one of those risks is colic caused by the oocyte retrieval process itself. It was complications from ICSI that ultimately caused Sapphireā€™s death, listed as colic. Not at all speculating that thatā€™s what happened in this case, as thereā€™s just no way to know.

13 Likes

Iā€™m betting that is an OLD photo of Reba and doesnā€™t reflect her condition in the days prior to her death.

Poor mare, to have ended up in Shearerā€™s ā€œcareā€.

7 Likes

I thought there was a recent (in theory) video of this mare posted on facebook being chased around because there was no jump shoot option at the repo-vetā€™s office.

It is very similar to the foal videos, the mare is just running around like it is scared of whatever is making it run.

1 Like

Yup. The picture and video of the mare there are old thoughā€¦ from months or even a year or two ago. But, she did recently put it back up on FB as she was trying to sell the mare.

2 Likes

That photo is from EMS, but the video definitely isnā€™t.

3 Likes

Do you know how common or uncommon it is to do a significant number of oocyte retrievals from one mare over the course of a few years? I looked at Kateā€™s sales list and background information we have from this thread, and from 2021-2023, I can count 9 offspring of this one mare -Reba - that have been created via ICSIā€¦ the oldest will be 2 in 2024, and the youngest are still in utero in recipients now, or still an embryo. After reading a little more about the oocyte retrieval process, it seems like the mare went through a lot of procedures over a two year periodā€¦ especially considering there probably were failed attempts as well along the way - a 100% success rate would be way outside the norm.

I am just curious if there are commonly accepted limits in terms of number of oocyte retrieval attempts on a mare in a given year, or over successive years. I could imagine with a mare as special and valuable as Sapphire there is a high incentive to try and maximize her productivity. But I would think that there must be some limits on how many times this can be tried in a given year. It is a somewhat invasive procedure.

1 Like

Itā€™s interesting how the photo caption has changed. Not just the CoTH addition.

13 Likes

Weird.

I also find it odd the mare was still at EMS, but Kate had moved her entire frozen semen collection and horses to Florida. Why leave this one mare in Missouri this whole time? I doubt itā€™s common or cost effective to keep a horse in long term board at a repro clinicā€¦ maybe she was just turned out with the recipient herd there?

4 Likes

ā€œFurkidā€ is always a gross word choice, but even grosser coming from someone like Kate.

29 Likes

Thereā€™s no standard limit. The only limits are how well the mare produces oocytes, and the ownerā€™s pocketbook.

1 Like

Interesting. Thanks for the education on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Board at EMS for non-pregnant mares seems to run around $20/day, so it is probably a cheaper option than Florida.

I am not going to criticize anyone for losing a horse to colic when she wasnā€™t even there and the facility the horse was at was well-known. It is always a sad loss. I havenā€™t seen anything to suggest this particular mare was mistreated.

It is unfortunate she seems to be doubling down on breeding.

12 Likes

Even well managed horses can colic though. We donā€™t know enough about what happened to this horse, so Iā€™ll reserve my judgment. Should KS get out of breeding? Absolutely.

I was just thinking how nice it is to still be in touch with my young horseā€™s breeder. I update her a few times a year (roughly quarterly Iā€™d say) and I sent her a Merry Christmas message with a few pics from this weekend since she loves hearing from me and seeing updates. Zero drama. Would buy from her again. She has a nice little program that sheā€™s run for many years. So thankful for those that do it right.

16 Likes

Iā€™m not in Facebook land, but can someone who is, ask this person why they are changing their mind and continuing to breed horses when he/she have admittedly (and obviously) extended themselves well beyond their financial means?

Is Shearer so ignorant as to think that as she compares badly bred, undernourished stock, with conformational difficulties that careful, experienced, breeders avoid, the comparison with better quality horses doesnā€™t do her any favors.

Edited as last paragraph made no sense. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes