Unlimited access >

Out of the mouths of non horsey people - new thread

If someone has never seen a picture of a dairy cow.

8 Likes

Indeed…. As we all know sometimes folks don’t think before they ask a question lol

My family went to meet my new mare and my grandpa’s girlfriend was asking what color June was. His gf guessed if June was a chestnut and my sister’s boyfriend corrected her saying that my mare was more of a walnut color :joy:

14 Likes

My first horse had a pronounced swayback as she aged. A friend called it a ‘bucket seat’.

9 Likes

I have a grey mare (and a grey gelding - I’m a sucker for punishment).

Mare has a bit of fecal water syndrome so in winter I put her tail up in a vetrap and duct-tape cocoon to try to keep it cleaner during our 6 months of cold. I usually use some version of coloured or patterned tape. At this time, it was covered with a pale pink tape.

Said by the 9-ish year old nephew of a fellow boarder - why does that horse have a penis tail?

8 Likes

Well, I do expect the horse to stay in the gait without constant nagging.

Staying engaged/under/through is different, going a little slower is fine (ie, I don’t expect a horse to stay in an extended anything if I take my leg off). But yes, on the lunge and under saddle, the horse is to stay in the gait without perpetual nagging.

4 Likes

Back in 2016, I was keeping an eye on some of the Rio olympics equestrian events at work (just had the feed up on half my screen while doing work stuff on the other half).

The non-horsey guy who sat in front me asked “So how do they get the horses to Rio? They don’t put them on a plane, do they?”

4 Likes

Yup! They put them right up in First Class with the rest of the passengers. Take out a few rows of seats, put in some hay, and they’ll munch all the way there. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

:rofl: :joy:

Seriously, I wonder if the guy thought cowboys rode the horses all the way to Rio? Like an old-fashioned cattle drive or a roundup in a movie or something?

5 Likes

Yesterday my daughter-in-law asked, “are you going to ride in your horse rink today?”

15 Likes

A long ago boyfriend called lungeing “line control horses”

1 Like

My grandfather called bell boots “horse galoshes” when he saw them on.

My mother once wore a full length fur coat into the barn when I was 9 or 10… my pony and most of the well behaved lesson horses freaked out.

6 Likes

They thought she was a Sasquatch!

2 Likes

Probably. I think it may have been beaver or raccoon… it was almost 40 years ago, so can’t recall exactly, but it wasn’t some sleek short fur. It looked like a grizzly.

I forgot this … my husband refers to “horse units” (a term he borrowed from another horse husband we know). He says things like, “well, that’s only two horse units, what am I complaining about?”

A horse unit is a thousand dollars.

29 Likes

Took my husband to try a horse a few few years ago and worked in the dressage ring… he thinks all we do is circles now. Circles circles circles.

5 Likes

This made me snort!

So two horse units is like, not a big deal? Asking for a friend :smirk:

11 Likes

A guy I briefly dated watched me do a flat lesson and referred to dressage as “sandbox circles”, lol

4 Likes

Relative to my pony dislocating her hock? My stable burning down? My horse falling out of a moving trailer? It’s peanuts.

4 Likes

I was at the Royal with a non-horsey friend, watching the international jumpers. Competitor enters the ring, and the announcer says the name of the rider and the horse, a “warmblood mare”.

My friend rolled her eyes and said “I don’t know why they keep saying that. ALL horses are warm-blooded, they’re mammals”.

8 Likes