Unlimited access >

Paddock boots

I used to love Ariat boots - when they were made in the USA. They fit well, wore well, and lasted. Now, not so much. Any recommendations for some good paddock boots that won’t break my bank?

No recommendations, as I still buy Ariat “out of habit”. I am interested in hearing the recommendations of others.

1 Like

I have worn the Ariat Heritage IV zip ups forever.

I really like the fit and the footbed support.

They don’t last like they used to, but I am reluctant to wear anything else.

I have heard good recommendations about the Blundstones.

1 Like

What is your break the bank ceiling price? Long time Dehner fan here, about $350 currently but they last and last. I do clean them, dry them properly, and even put a coat of Properts boot cream on them occasionally.

2 Likes

I’ve had outstanding luck w LaMundial paddock boots. Dehner boots are lovely, but really heavy to me.

Have you tried Dublin brand? They’re leather for ~$120.

1 Like

I have gone through SO MANY paddock boots over the last 15 years and I was sick of it. I wore Blunnies for a long time, back when I did barn work, and they were great but when I needed a new pair I found the quality had taken a dive. So next I tried Ariat, even after swearing I would not touch that brand again because the tall boots just didn’t last, but they looked nice and I figured maybe the paddock boots would be sturdier. Well, that was stupid and the boots betrayed me by falling apart within a year.

Then I ended up with the Dansko barn-appropriate model that they don’t make anymore, and when those finally gave out I got more Danskos (different model) and fell off them regularly, but loved them. They weren’t great for mud, though, so I got suckered into Ariat again, with the H20 Gore boots. Result: more heartache, the sole disintegrated for no reason within six months. So then I tried Dublin and they fell apart even faster. I don’t do barn work regularly, I don’t ride in them, they are just my barn boots. WTH?

When I was on the hunt again for something that is comfortable and can survive what is in reality a pretty easy life, I randomly found these things and they are the freaking best: https://www.duluthtrading.com/s/DTC/womens-wild-boar-boots-80970.html?color=DBR

I’ve had them for about five months now and they are perfect. They have been comfortable from day one. A bit hard to get on at first, but now the elastic has loosened up and they are just right for the barn.

ETA: They are not beautiful, so if you want a nice-looking boot for riding, these are not going to be it. But for knocking around the barn, walking back and forth all day at shows and horsey outings, and generally just being solid barn shoes, they are great. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Too much. I’d do $150 for the right pair.

1 Like

My custom Dehners turn 22yo in June.
If you spread the cost over the years they are a Bar-Gain.
I got the oiltan leather & pull-ons (after sending previous pairs back to Dehner for zip replacement).
They’re not pretty anymore, elastic is stretched & they’re cracked across the insteps, but that’s cosmetic & due to my benign neglect.
I don’t clean after wearing, save for brushing off the worst of the mud,dirt, etc.
They clean up respectably with saddle soap or Murphy’s & a coat of Stubben Hamanol or Black Rock conditioner
I can even put a shine on them.

When they die, I might try those Duluth boots.
Blundstones lack enough arch support for me.
Fine while riding, no good for walking.

2 Likes

What are they like to ride in?

Do half chaps fit over them comfortably?

2 Likes

Wow! I’m a long-time Dehner stock paddock boot wearer. I love the Narrow width. However, I don’t get more than ~5 years out of them. The leather on the sides, like next to my ankle bones, just starts to disintegrate along the folds. I keep wearing them, but eventually… The soles hold up like they will still be there until the end of time.

4 Likes

I will say that all else being equal, I burn through Dublin paddock boots faster than even the newer made Ariats. it could be that I am just hard on footwear (which is true) but I barely got one warm season out of my last pair of dublins (late spring to mid fall) before they were completely falling apart.

1 Like

The Ariat paddock boots that have always worked for me, as well as my husband, are the Ariat Devon zip fronts. We both get several years of wear out of our respective pairs before they require replacement.

These are currently $250/pair; I’ve not found the less expensive Ariats to be either as comfortable as the Devons, or anywhere near as long-wearing, so we keep purchasing these, as needed.

2 Likes

Blundstone gave me chronic foot pain that disappeared when I switched to Ariat Twin Gore. The current iteration has more rubber and is holding up better. I muck stalls bit don’t have real true deep mud here

1 Like

As I said, I don’t ride in them (I wear tall boots), so I don’t know. They are not as wide as Blundstones, but they aren’t narrow. I think half chaps could fit over them just fine, but I’ve never worn those, so I am not the best judge, sorry!

1 Like

Maybe you can ask @foursocks to measure the width of the sole of the Duluth boots and then measure around the shaft where half-chaps would go. And tell you what size and width they are. Then you could measure the width of your stirrups.

1 Like

Coming back with pics of the Not Cleaned Since Last Worn - sometime last Fall :roll_eyes: - ancient Dehners :grin:

IIRC, soles may have been redone… Or not :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

As an addition, I prefer lace-up to hold my foot snuggly (and accommodate a weird bone protrusion on the top of my left foot), and I DO want a pair I can wear half-chaps over.

3 Likes

It is hard to tell from the ad photos, do they have a real heel like paddock boots typically have?

1 Like

Two views of the heel. Not much of a “riding” heel IMO.