Question for Merry

Thanks, Jaime!!! Do I get partial credit?

When you mention Mary Solucka in the Back Bay, where is that located? I saw riders once along the top of the riverbed behind the Fletcher Jones
Mercedes dealer at Jamboree and MacArthur and called out to them where they were from, and they said they came from their own place. Where in Newport Beach along the backbay is that located? The Dunes? (I used to work at The Ritz in Fashion Island before the reading glasses and graying hairs sprouted!) Remember that stable on the beach side of PCH between Laguna Beach and Corona del Mar? Did they make them move out becauseof the Disney project proposal of timeshare condos?

Re South Pacific, last I heard she was still looking for a culprit.

C&C, do you mean Richard Spooner? His mom is at my barn. She’s a scream - we just love her. She knows now to take orders for stuff whenever she’s off to Spruce Meadows or World Cup, and has become our official personal shopper.

Sycamore is still there and has a waiting list. Most of the stables in San Juan are full, and the city is looking for land to build more. Fortunately it is remaining a horsey community.

Has anyone been into the barns at The Oaks/Blenheim? Had a leisurely walk through there during the George Morris clinic and was drooling. I was also really surprised to see that giant stallion Joan Irvine used to have living at RJ’s. The 18.1 Holstein … damn, the name escapes me …

Where did Betsy Breen go?

C & C: It was Holly Garcia! We inquired about Celebration at Santa Barbara one year when I was looking for a junior hunter, but she was getting on with him really well so he was not for sale! That was the year that Tracey Kestler and First Impression were winning so much. I remember back when she had Kid Me Not. And Emily Esau was in the ponies with Training Wheels.

Now you are talking Valor’s and my era. I showed against or stabled with just about all of these:

American Express, – Annelise With-Sedlin
American Hero, --Twinkie Nisen
Stars and Stripes,–Cute Jr from Willow Tree
Dance Card, --Megan Furth
Three Cheers, --Twinkie again
Kaiko, --Patsy Severinsen
Xerxes, --Jill Smiekel George
Specialty, ----
Novelty --Darby, then Megan Furth

What is up with Twinkie Nissen nowadays?

Wow, I feel like I’m interrupting you guys! Y’all are great for keeping this convesation going for 14 pages!

Coreene, sorry if I missed your call! I ended up being pretty busy anyway. I managed to get hold of one of my high school friends who lives out there & we spent Friday evening & Saturday at Disneyland!! How fun!! Thursday I went to South Coast Plaza. The highlight was going into Loro Piana and petting the cashmere scarves. By good fortune the manager was an Illinois farmboy transplant and was very friendly. Although he didn’t know anything about the showjumpers. After spotting the price tag on the $1800 cashmere stole I about fell over. (Got any hankies?)

Next time I come out I’ll try to give you guys more notice and we can make definite plans for lunch! Sometimes these trips are a little unexpected. . . . LOL!

Bumpkin you know that I will be sure to see you & Elliot next time I come to the PNW!!

OMG, I am not sure if I can go tomorrow. Something has come up, but I will try and reorganize so I can at least whizz over to try and hook up after the 10 a.m. Linda Allen.

If I can, I will be the tall abondanzza (isn’t that the Italian word for ample?) blonde with short pony tail in the navy Samsung Nations Cup jacket.

And if - perish the thought - I can’t make it, we’ll just have to meet up at a show.

Hoping to see you tomorrow!!!

Merry I love the mantra,since I won’t be able to make it to Indio to heckle by the rail, I willbe thinking positive thoughts and chanting the mantra. SOme thing new to embarrass the kids with . I will wear rust during that time , but can’t do the show bow thing. I have forbidden the kids to wear them, its about the only thing I get really controling about. So it would be extremely hypocritical to wear one, particularly since I have no maintenance short hair.

Whatever happened to:
Caron Gilbertson, Susie Dickel, or Diane Dixon?

Can someone tell me about the early days of Kathy Hobstetter?

Speaking of Caron, I rode at Circle K for a litle while with Kenny about 78-79 and I remember when they were an “Item”. It was so strange because when he was romancing Leslie Oertly, Caron must have been about 9 or so. So when I saw them together, i thought he’s really robbing the cradle.

He recently judged the OCHSA championship show and boy has he changed. Y’know how sometimes you remember people from a contex of about 30 years ago? Well that’s what I did. He’s really put on a lot of weight (I don’t mean to be tacky. I was going to go up and reintroduce myself but I took a pass on it

I saw Mousie at Indio a few weeks back and I thought she looked great.

Is Jade the monster in El Toro? What a cutie patootie. Find one more and you can ride in the triplets class.

Hack and Trois

AAJumper notices Coreene’s champagne and whips out a bottle of Peach Schnapps to mix with the champagne.

Peach Baleeneys anyone???

AAJumper mixes a big tumbler of Peach Schnapps and champagne, and wonders “will my alter ego, Cornholio, appear tonight???”

throwing this to the top. yes, coreen, I did refer to Richard Spooner. Seems I didn’t totally delete the reference I wrote about him. What I was really trying to say was that he and I rode in the same ring at that same time taking our lessons when we were teenagers, and when he really started to get well know I remember feeling so jealous!! Yes his Mom is incredible!! and I’m sure she is every bit as generous and helpful now as she was back then.

Anita Lynn is one of my old trainers too. I haven’t heard anything about her in several years although I did see a Mickey Hayden add in Horses Magazine (which I now only purchase just to see the old names from time-to-time) from him a year or two ago.

OK, I got one for you OC people. Does anyone remember a trainer that was at the fairgrounds named George… can’t recall the last name and its making me crazy. His wife and daughter rode and taught with him in a small barn. I remember him riding this awesome GP horse when I was pretty young, and I also recall my trainer saying that the horse was eventually sold (for a tidy little sum) to an east coast rider (Margie?? – my memory cells are working overtime). And if I remember correctly the horse was The Natural. Can anyone confirm??

Here is one of Hark Away, about 1978. Sad story really. Alison had many nice horses, but Hark Away died when she was 18 or 19, and she gave up riding all together because of it. Didn’t start riding again until way after college, realized she couldn’t live without them, hence the current trainer status. Things like that just make me all weepy!

Couldn’t agree more PamM. Horses was wonderful and loved the newsy/gossipy stuff Judith had. It really lost alot in it’s transition. Remember all the “Backgate” gossip, you knew exactly what where and how

I think you all are trying to remember Jim McEvoy. He did saddle horses, and trained morgans. He’s still involved, but more from the official side now. And it’s Michele Macfarland, she has the Sripps Miramar Ranch, rides the colored or paint saddlebreds. Great fun to watch she & Brownie showing at Del Mar…

Is this thread dying? Those of us who could not make it to Pomona would like more news.

I used to work for a music publicity company in London and always had to laugh at how, after these rockstars and wanna-bes (you know, one hit wonders) made their first pile, they immediately had to get into racing.

I believe I read that he is only working for Cathy Mendez now, still in the Portola Valley/Woodside area.

Please … what is the address for the Dublin/Bumpkin Web page/photo?? (And no, Merry, it is NOT that Beezer has no work to do. It is just that Beezer is BORED with the work she has to do. )

Hello? Anybody home? YooooHOOOOO! Excuse me, but I just read through 35 pages of thread, NOT consecutively mind you but hopskipping around because SOMEone SOMEwhere mentioned Bumpkin’s pictures of JRTs and I can’t find them posted anywhere. Can you look inside your shroud please and find them, please?

Last saw Twinkie at the Pebble Beach Classics last July with a really nice amateur horse (what else?)