Question for Merry

PamM thank you for giving us the additional tips on the correct turn out for the new outfit.

Bumpkin do sen pictures. You will be our poster girl. I don’t know what we should call our selves yet. ANy ideas.

It is a small world. Almost scary.

Chef, how was your digging? My stall, miracle of miracles, seemed to fare pretty well. But the arenas will probably be dry just in time for the pouring rain. Oh well.

Even all the way up in Washington, you are the QUEEN of California show gossip! You make this native Oregonian proud…

The new Typo Circuit, whoops I mean Show Circuit, has ads from other clients with John as trainer.

Isn’t it amazing how we all knew how to do ‘automatic releases’ back then, more or less? Great photos! I’m getting a scanner soon, and I’ll attempt to display myself.

Cassandra Karssisis is showing for Bleinheim Farms (RJ Brandeis and The Oaks/Bleinheim Horsepark) at Indio.

I’ll pick up Show Circuit for you when I get down to Indio! But you’ll have to wait until Week IV…Not that I expect any new issues to have been released before then In the meantime, Dee Dee, I think you can get them at Carousel Saddlery in Portola Valley and I have picked up a couple in the past from Hudson and Company in Carmel if you ever get down there…

And to bring it back to this thread and add a NorCal touch: the great Junior and A/O hunters of the early 80s and 90s around here included American Express, American Hero, Stars and Stripes, Dance Card, Three Cheers, Kaiko, Xerxes, Specialty, Novelty and a bunch more, but these were perennial winners…

Okay…
dublin: Yes, that’s who it was, I believe, Patrick Roston. I also remember Larry Larson’s schipperke dog. We always wanted to borrow it to buff our boots.

coreene: The ‘real’ Hap did/was dabbling in reining horses. You know, reining is now a USET sport, so who knows? Wouldn’t that be wild, to be a member of both the jumping and reining teams? But he has a lot of top reining guys to replace, although I believe this is simply a business venture/hobby.

rusty: Imagine That was almost a liver chestnut, was a gorgeous mare, with a very dishy face and little or no white. Cindy did hunters and some jumpers on her. One year at Del Mar the mare got a little sticky going into a combination in jumpers and Linda Hough was on the rail yelling at Cindy, “Hit her! Use your stick!” and Cindy just sort of cowboyed it down this huge line.

portia: The McAvoy my sister is referring to (the western one) was LLOYD McAVOY, so I don’t think he was a relation. But yes, I do recall the saddleseat folks from San Diego area. What about the little old lady with the Hackney ponies, Mrs. Smith, was it? Or was it Scripps? Try riding in a night-time hunter class following a fine harness class! Yee-ha!

I shall let my sister arrange for the Saturday rendezvous at Equine Affaire… me thinks just after the Linda Allen clinic? (I’ll be wearing a pink carnation in my lapel…)

dublin, no I am not near Sunnyvale. I am in Lafayette probably about an hour unless there is traffic which is always these days.

wtywmn4, Thank you.

Does a Davey Jones sighting count??

[This message was edited by Beezer on Feb. 14, 2001 at 09:04 PM.]

Warehouse, former Merry Employer, is Former Coreene Client.

Coreene,
I have Rivals aka Players on loan from bumpkin, so definitely lend it to SuaveReno. Thanks again for sending the Typo Circuit, that is just too nice of you!

[This message was edited by dublin on Feb. 21, 2001 at 03:01 PM.]

I really shouldn’t be contributing to the resuscitation of this doomed thread, but Megan Johnstone�s fancy chestnut mare was Elfin Magic. I used to compete against her as a junior, and have a picture of said mare circa 1990 at some show at Rancho Murieta (I’d post it, but my scanner decided to take a giant crap).

Why am I thinking Elfin Magic was a pony though? My weary brain seems to remember a bunch of ponies with Magic in their names .

I remember Lisa. Her dad is one of our clients.

Wasn’t Seahorse the one on Laguna Canyon Road? It’s sad to see that lovely old barn remade into something else.

I remember when you could stand at the back of Top of the World School in Laguna Beach, or anywhere on the ridge there, and see all the way to Orange/Tustin with very little in between. Mission Viejo was three houses and Irvine wasn’t born yet. Those were the days.

I don’t think Dixie ever liked me. She trailered my horse to Laguna Beach from Monrovia. He was kept in the box stall barn on the east side, the very southerly stall on the end. It was $90 a month! She absolutely castigated me for my TB not standing for the farrier when he was being shod (I was not there at the time). His nice leather halter was destroyed, so he must have had a severe pulling match with the hitching post and won! She mellowed out when I took on more hours at work and couldn’t get out to the stable as often – then she sweetly offered for a student of hers (who did not have a particular caliber of horse) to use my horse in her lessons. I obliged this, but eventually moved him to Huntington Beach on Edwards. Until then, I drove out twice a day, before and after work to ride, coming down the 405-Laguna Canyon Road from Huntington Beach. Guess I had the energy then! Sorry, I don’t remember the young man you mention.

Ah yes, one of the reasons I never point out any celebrities to my husband at horse shows. He once stalked Dick Gautier (he played Hymie the robot on the old Get Smart series) when we were at Fashion Island in Newport Beach. I’m like, sigh, it’s Dick Gautier for crying out loud, a stupid TV actor.

But then, my husband’s from Illinois. I think a big celebrity in his hometown was the local tractor salesman.

Merry,
No 3 foot lesson horses because the school horses don’t jump that high, or all the decent ones are probably at Indio?

I would definitely need a nicer horse, or I’d just be wasting my time & money. Maybe I’ll look into a dressage lesson, LOL.

Thanks, PamM, for filling “us” in re Patrick. Once I connected the name to the right rider, I remembered that I had heard that he had died of AIDS, but that’s the kind of thing that without firsthand knowledge, I didn’t want to go spreading rumors.

And re having ammies, since I always associated him with the green/open horses, I obviously overlooked his other skills.

Someone several posts back noted that Judith Spreckels worked on the Menendez brothers’ book and wondered why she gave up Horses magazine. I’ll see what I can ferret out … Leslie Abramson’s (Erik’s attorney) husband works at same company I do. (I’m thinking this is that “six-degrees of separation from Fleet Apple” thing going on here again. )

Please give us a report when you get back. SOme of us had to do our taxes and write business plans this week end instead of having fun. So you ask why am I online? Procrastination!!!

I can’t stant it anymore – do I know you from the 70’s and 80’s in California?? I know I rode up north and am older than you are, but we must have crossed paths somewhere along the line. (You can email me your real identities, and I will take an oath to keep them secret…)

Pam