Question for Merry

I rode at the OC fairgrounds over last summer. Actually N2Jumpers (who was my first and so far only BB Buddy to meet in person) hooked me up with Hillary Ridland. At that time I only had the one horse up in Agoura Hills so I had no one to ride during the week. They were short one person so I just hacked horses for her after work. Then they hired someone full time so my gig was up But then I bought my other greenie who I keep at El Toro Stables.

Unfortunately N2Jumpers no longer rides there due to lack of horse. Which actually works out for me because I take full advantage of her horse status and have her attend to my beastly mare (who tried to kill both of us last week) when I am not around.

I also saw your post about OCF relocating to El Toro. Wondering where you heard that. Somewhere back on this thread I discussed my pipe dream of building another Eq. center in Irvine so I am trying to assess the OC stable supply and demand. Do you have any other details? Sources?

It’s great to have another CA Clique member! Welcome!

Merry, Ginny may have two now. Drop her a note if you haven’t already.

I, never a mare type, would just love to have both of these pretty chestnut gals. Duo-team, you could change their names to Ashley and Mary-Kate and show them flat as Hack Pack.

Wow, what a mixture of funeral attire! coreene and I in our Jackie O/Lands End outfits, Pam in her veil, Katey in sweats and the rest of you… in riding clothes. Can’t you ever leave the horse thing at home???

And what’s with all this alcohol? I told you I can’t drink… one swig and I end up dancing on the tables… not a good thing at a wake!

Was the horse Pressurized? Ridden by Leslie Lenehan?

Or is that Part 3?
I don’t think I have any 83’ HORSES Pam M.
But I will keep an eye out for that issue you want.

Taryn, that’s her! That’s her! I also very much remember Hark Away; I’m sure his death must have been very traumatic for her. I can’t even imagine how I would have felt if the real Beezer had died when I was that age; it was too horrible when he finally had to be put down well into his 20s.

Your call of 1978 for that photo sounds about right. I have a very similar one from Del Mar from that year. In fact, Alison will always have my undying gratitude for saying, as she stood behind us in the call-back for the junior hunter championship: “Congratulations. You absolutely deserve to be there.” And she said it with a big smile and gave the Beez a pat. Considering, as Merry has said before, that our parents had to scrape together every cent to get us to shows, which often resulted in us feeling a little slighted even by riders in our own barn … well, it just really made an impression to have this good rider with some great horses go out of her way to be complimentary. I am very glad to hear that she found her way back to horses.

I tell you these things and they apparently just slip right outside your brain!

That’s one of the reasons the Lovely Spotted Terror went to Lakeview Terrace: to be tried by the Edricks, you numbskull! Yes, they’re still married; they were looking at The Spotted Beast as a medal mount for their daughter. (Alas, like many exotic creatures, the spotted mare is gazed upon with lust, but is impossible for mere mortals to ride).

Lulu rode Getaway Devil when we were juniors/young ammies. Remember, he was by Getaway II. That’s one of the reasons I bought that mare, Getafox, at the TB sale, because of the bloodline. Or DON’T YOU REMEMBER THAT, EITHER?

So I was there! At the 1 PM LA clinic. How VERY rude of Mother Nature to intrude on the possible meeting with that thunder / lightning / downpour / hailstorm.

Alas, did not get to meet Beezer & Merry, but had fun anyhow. AAJumper, I did see you at one point but didn’t know you were you.

Better luck next time!!!

Coreene’s email: coreene@yahoo.com

I think the last show I went to was when I dragged myself up the hill at our barn to spectate. Like October or November or something. It was that three day Robin Serfas show (I think it was Robin) where day three vanished.

BTW, before last weekend’s show was canceled due to rain / thunder / lightining / hail / etc., there were fifty entries.

And these wonderful colored WBs you’re talking about - I’m just thinking that my next horse (in addition to Willem, never a replacement) should be a Godzilla colored WB brick outhouse. At least 17.3. Chestnut with chrome and some white blobs. MERRY, I’LL TAKE BIG HORSES FOR $500.

John French could win standing outside the ring without being mounted. He is just SUCH a nice rider.

Coreene, who is just a few doors down from Chef, feels the same about the rain, which has begun at the exact moment that we are thinking about shoving off for the day.

That is a GREAT collection of photos, Dublin! What lovely horses. You should be very proud.

I believe since you were the one to give the thread life you should be the one to end it. We all wait for Coreene’s final words…

Were you at the LAEC Season Opener? Were you showing? I was there…too bad we couldn’t meet up! I might add it was a good thing I was there. I learned I have plenty of kinks to work out before Indio!

Crikey, no computer access for a few days and look what happens … the thread runs mad!

Re Paul Newman, yeah, it was always a thrill (in more ways than one ) to discover that Clea was in the same hack class. 'Cause you could always count on Paul to be yelling out advice: “Clea, get seen, g*d##$$@t!!” “CLEA! Make a circle!” “CLEA! Get your shoulders back!!” It went on and on. Very funny for everyone else (particularly since his “coaching” was accompanied by him leaning into the ring and waving his arms), but you couldn’t help but cringe a bit for her.

Let’s see … some other celebrity ride-offs I have experienced. The Nielsen girls (as in Leslie) from Foxfield; both had lovely horses (natch) and were very competitive. He was often sighted at shows. Bob Eubanks (of the Newlywed Game fame), whose daughter also rode at Foxfield. Famous “urban legend” about him: He refused to ride in a family class at a Foxfield show unless he could ride one of the drill team horses who went bridle-less with the wire around its neck … But I think the Charles Bronson sightings will always remain among my favorites.

I occasionally still see ads for the Youngers’ Banner Farms. Anyone else remember one of their early trainers, Scott King? Know what happened to him? Anyone know if the killing of Gary Ryman was ever solved?

The older Willem gets, the spookier he is. It must be a Brown Guy thing. How about having him work with Andy? He has done WONDERS with Willem. Like night and day. And that has done wonders with me, too. It was so bad with me that I was in the corner of my stall vomiting for at least half an hour before getting on. I was just so scared that he was going to bolt every time I mounted. And 99% of it was totally baseless.

Now, although it’s not my favorite thing in the world (the actual mounting part), it’s much, much better and we are even enjoyng ourselves an awful lot and going on trails. And I credit Andy for almost all of it.

Am I the only person that thinks the velvet collars actually looked nice?(I probably am…)
They seemed to really come into popularity, at least on the West Coast, in the mid to late 70’s, a few years after I stopped showing.

[This message was edited by dublin on Feb. 06, 2001 at 03:27 PM.]

Elizabeth, we’ll all just have to set a Place In The Middle and meet up one day. Or all go to the same show to watch / compete / whatever. But it was SOOOOOOOOO cold that you certainly didn’t miss out on fun weather. Especially since you got to go on a naughty, lucky girl!!!

What great articles!
I am sending them on to some of the kids at the stable.
Thank you Merry, now where is Beezer? hehe

Suave and Rusty, Hack and yak? Ughhh, sounds like one just ate a huge, greasy burger then decided to ride in the heat of the day on a full stomach!

How about a HACK AND CHAT class?
And Barney, well, he’s fading out fast. My daughter (2 1/2) was never into him. Thank God!

Merry, Thanks for the little Boost! But will we ever know if MCJ is all truth?! She sure does talk up quite an impressive “resume’”. But if she was so successful, than why move to the Midwest?
“there isn’t any cash to be made in the horse bus. out here girly girls.”

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> “Beezer, do you raise Jack Russell Terriers too?” <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh God, perish the thought that she should acquire more of them.