Question for Merry

LucianCephas:Geez, Dennis at Del Mar going off course… that sounds about right. When we first knew him, Marcie Mosconi-Bustillos was his wife, and she showed AO jumpers. Dennis had a huge A circuit barn. But he burned so many customers, MYSELF included, that he just ruined his reputation. His (former) assistant, Ted, told me Dennis had moved to Texas, but he wasn’t sure how things were going.

Chef:Yes, the Las Amigas show has moved to Ernie Howlett Park the last couple of years. I agree, it’s not as nice a showgrounds as Empty Saddle, especially because there’s no lunging area! And the only true warm-up ring is that dressage court. Moral of this story: Leave the green horses at home!

As for venturing to Thrifty Horse…Just remember that it’s primarily a consignment store, so you have to wade thru a lot of junk. But there were some really nice, new shirts in brown checks, burgundy plaids, and lavenders in the 32’s and the 38/40’s: Van Teal, Essex and Marigold, at sale prices.

Oh NOOOOOO!!! Those jackets in the Rideaway catalog are a NIGHTMARE in real life. Too long, very shiny and Not Quite Our Kind, Dear.

Not to be a raging snob, but Jackets They Wear Over There and Their Boot Length have always been two of my pet peeves. Having lived there for three years and gone to every show possible to ogle horses, I earned my stripes.

Of course, apologies to anyone I’ve offended re saying this. It’s one of those fashion things.

Chef, your horse isn’t at the old CT farms is he/she, right near the Kanan/Triunfo intersection? That’s where my old horse moved for a couple of months after his new owner bought him. I was wondering if he was still there. I used to board at Pegasus Creek in Agoura, and while it was near my house, the turnout situation is horrible there. We had one turnout for 15-20 horses. So each horse only got out for maybe a half hour at the most!

SuaveReno,
Glad you’ve joined in the fun! Hope you didn’t take my remark about libel and slander literally, I was really just joking! I would still love to know who those people were! (But you might just want to give us hints or initials or something…)

Ah, the western people had all the fun even back then. Remember when it became “all the rage” for the western pleasure and trail mares to have a “diamond” earring pierced into their ear? Seriously, Linda Baker was I think the first. She rode a fancy chestnut–excuse me, sorrel-- mare in trail, I can’t remember the name… OH! It was a Cynthia Cantleberry horse… and it had a diamond earring!

Oh come on now. How can you euthanize (hate that word) this thread? We’re so close to 50. Plus you know an irish wake can take a full blown week. You all have to remember the dearly departed and I’m sure we could drag that out a bit longer? Who’s bringing the food? The spirits?

I remember when Gopher Broke came up to Tail Gate for Nancy Vincent. I heard that she is now living in the LA area. I don’t know if she rides anymore or not.

Beeeeeez, this is just too freaky for words!

The original Steinberg’s is still there. Rasmussens has been gone for ages. Carriage Saddlery is still on Newport Blvd in Costa Mesa and still run by Sean, who does way more than you ever asked him to on tack repairs and then you pay way more than you’d expected.

All my tack repairs now go to Jenny Jo at Steinberg’s. Then again, she’s also one of my best friends, so that would make sense.

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER PEANUT THE PONY who lived at the little country preschool in Westminster, between Edwards and Springdale, right by where Heard’s Country Gardens now is? He is about 19. He now lives at our barn. He has been around a bit (don’t know where he was before then, but then he moved to a pony ride place in El Monte before the current owner bought him).

Well this whole Clifford thing just has me seeing stars…

That is a name from the past.
Remember she rode with Mary Gatti and won both Hunt Seat and Saddle Seat!
I was just looking at the Indio results and there was her name.
Of course I know those of you in SC prob see her and her name all the time, , but since I am up here, and there are no more HORSES! What can I say??? haha

Thank you every one for your kind words and positive thoughts.

Okay, this doesn’t have much to do with anything, but my brain is getting overloaded as I prepare to go to Indio…

What does the name “One Way” have to do with religion? For some reason that caught my eye and I can’t move on until I know

I had 3 or 4 ads in HORSES 1967-1972 timeframe.

I think her name was Stacy.
And Georgina Guy was the daughter of someone, but I cannot recall if it was Rosemarie from the Dick VanDyke show or Rosemary Clooney.

Maybe I can actually get some work done now that I won’t feel compelled to check the board every 5 minutes.

Until we meet agian!

So… my sister and I rode at the Orange Co. Fairgrounds with Katrina (ex-Flintridger). Then Bob came from Hillsview via Mr. Harris’ place in Fountain Valley. At that time, Bob was married to Sue. My sister and I moved into Bob’s barn about the same time he and Debbie got together (though not married yet). Deb still rode AO because that was okay under AHSA rules then. Her horse was a very flashy bay with chrome named Ask Anyone. She usually placed above me in hunters, but I must say I beat her in eq & medals, so there, LOL! My sister and I always had several horses, plus I catch rode a lot, but our big AO horse was Baba Yaga. Cynthia Campbell sometimes sent us horses on consignment to show for her.

About the same time Bob and Deb moved to Idaho we bought our own place. It’s been kind of weird to show under Bob when he judges; but needless to say, he’s never given me any gifts! In fact, he’s more critical! As for Ed Marcy, he was a very sweet man, I thought, and a pretty good eq. teacher. I took some lessons from him when he was down in the Back Bay near Mary Slouka about a century ago. Then I heard he went off to be a bartender at a Colorado ski resort?

Geez, so the horsey men in my life: JJ Smith, Mason Phelps… at least they were balanced with Kenny Nordstrom and Kosti crushes…

So at our original trainer’s barn at the “old” Orange Co. Fairgrounds, the all-time best hunter that every lesson kid wanted to show was Champ, a big, dappled buckskin with the most gorgeous face and a long tail and white socks. I knew he’d come a shopping trip back east to the hunt county, where he’d been a field hunter. Anyway, one day Katrina showed us this 8MM movie film of Mason riding Champ just before she bought him. (This was when Mason was with the USET). Soon after, he comes out and stays around for a couple of days and just as I, this budding teenager, starts to think, “Hmmmm, here’s this nice looking, unattached horseman,” Katrina sort of gave me the little “talk” on the many reasons why my desires were pointless .

I think soon after was when I got my hair hacked off for the first time !

I’ll be there on Saturday as well. I agree that we should meet somewhere.

PamM’s thread on Valor made me wonder if any of you old timers (come on, feel the love!) remember any of these horses-Hark Away, Fancy Footwork, and Tuck Point. I think Hark Away was a very good junior hunter, champion this and that.

Just another bee in yer bonnet!

How much fun this thread has been to “eavesdrop” on!! I’m a transplant to California–a college student in the SF area–and I event more than I show h/j, so I don’t know most of the people you are talking about. Still, I pick up on some of the references and I love all the stories --Jess

ps. Merry–congrats on a good show with your baby. I’ll be down at Galway in a couple of weeks for the horse trials; what a nice facility (we’re there a couple of times a year).

Bumpkin, you won’t get an argument from me about the lipstick.

It is going to be cold here today. They are predicting snow in the east bay valleys. My poor boys and girls are going to get cold. I hope there blankets will keep them warm. I usually have to whine about the cold when it gets below 60.

Lela … wasn’t that an Eric Clapton song??

(Sorry. Couldn’t resist. Stressful day at work. Too many news. Consider this a BB drive-by. )