Unlimited access >

RIP @Where_sMyWhite

Very sad to hear this. She was kindness personified. I enjoyed her racing and plant knowledge. Count me for a dribble if a charity is found.

My research found that WMW’s name was Katherine (Kathy) [edit]. She had been scheduled to give an online zoom class about adeniums. :pensive:

I am shocked and saddened to hear this.
@skydy Thank you for letting us know.

1 Like

I wish your post had been read and respected along with her privacy.

3 Likes

So sad to have lost a fellow cother. Jingles and hugs to her loved ones :heart:

1 Like

I don’t believe that you understood Mod1’s meaning when she said the word “we” and I am too upset by your post to respond to you in a civil manner at this time.

12 Likes

The Nickki Bacharach Memorial Garden at Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement farm has a brick program, where one can donate a customized brick. There are of course other options (brass plate for a stall, etc.) WMW was certainly a friend of thoroughbreds.

Thank you @skydy for keeping her in our memories.

14 Likes

She was such a staunch supporter of the Master Gardener program that supporting that, in some way - whether the Maricopa County organization, or even our local branch - might be a thoughtful memorial.

6 Likes

I wonder if there is a garden in her area where we could donate a brick, bench, or other memorial of some type. Bonus if we can make it horsey to keep the connection of what brought us all together.

I really love @BrownDerby’s idea too. While WMW may have never mentioned any horsey organizations, we all know she was an ardent racing fan. I think she would appreciate us thinking of that.

https://www.oldfriendsequine.org/memorylane.html

A 4”x8” is $125 and a 8”x8” is $225. I think we could dribble that easily.

10 Likes

I see your point and understand seeing her name probably unsettled you. But a couple things:

All of us, @skydy in particular, lost a friend. That hurts. There is no need to add to the hurt.

I believe Mod1 meant that bulletin board administration will protect her privacy and not share what they learned, since she never publicly shared her name in the board. She was friends with many people from COTH on platforms apart from this bulletin board who know her name. I think her friends realize she wasn’t hiding her identity here per se, just using good judgement like most of us do.

We all need to be kind right now. I know if the name truly is a problem, it will be removed.

11 Likes

To err on the side caution, we removed Kathy’s last name. This is a tough situation, and I’m sure nobody is intending to hurt anyone.

Her last name can be kept behind the scenes for any memorial efforts the community would like to organize on her behalf.

Thank you!

8 Likes

I am so sad. She was a lovely and interesting person and we will miss her here.

2 Likes

@BrownDerby That’s a great idea. I think she would have liked that.
I wonder if there’s a garden at Old Friends?

1 Like

I apologize for snapping at you @Rackonteur.

2 Likes

I think I’m going to go ahead and order a brick for Old Friends if that’s okay. Anyone who would like to contribute can message me and we can set up a way to take care of dribbles.

What should it say? They can hold 3 and 6 lines of 18 characters for the 4” and 8”, respectively. You can add a graphic but that looks line a huge pain to me because of approvals and trademarks. However if we feel passionate about a graphic I can figure it out.

9 Likes

@Texarkana has kindly agreed to organize the donation for a brick in Kathy’s name at Old friends.

Whoops. Posting at the same time.

2 Likes

I don’t really feel the need for a graphic, does anyone think it would be important to include? The flower in her screen name is pretty but who knows where it came from.

I hadn’t thought about words. I thought the brick just included her name. If we all think about it surely one of us will come up with something appropriate.

I had the same thought about the flower thumbnail. For the inscription I figured it would be along the lines of “In memory of” her name but I didn’t know if we wanted anything else.

1 Like

Looking at the page now, I think you’re right about the graphic. Getting that approved looks like a real pain in the neck.

It’s wonderful enough that the brick will be near or on the garden path.

1 Like

I really can’t think of anything to add right now, considering it will (literally) be written in stone. That will take awhile.

Does anyone have an idea?