Unlimited access >

Show Hunters of the past

Ahem, Silly Mommy, isn’t is past your bed time on the East Coast? Do you remember if it was Jayne Schutt who owned Stone Free, or was it Cynnie Hunt?

Jayne owned Happy Times, Keelo’s Kin and All Canadian (purchased from Jimmy Day) and I thought I remembered her showing Stone Free, but now I’m even starting to question my aging grey cells on that one!

And all the LP references are making me flash back to the day at Buffalo Intl. circa 1973 or 1974 when Fail Safe, who was always super-antsy in the in gate, reared up in the in gate with one of the Willet girls up…keeled over and dropped dead, probably from a heart attack. I was standing right next to the gate in those old falling-down stalls. It was truly awful.

Shade, Short Notice was a dark brown, horse, no white that I can remember. On the small ide. Owned and shown by Chris Ward, and possibly from California. I remember thay had a terrible wreck at Ocala.

Wendy also had Sombero. Dave had High Frontier,Best For All.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-title”>quote:</div><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-content”>Originally posted by buryinghill2:
I was at Lake Placid the year Rain Forest was killed. I always HATED that show. Bad things always happened there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I’ve thought of that about LP…something in that mountain air, I tell ya.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-title”>quote:</div><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-content”>Originally posted by Carol Ames:
How about Geste? Hewasn’t that long ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I watched Geste go a number of times, used to wonder how PP stayed in the tack. I believe Judi McGee Holmes still has him.

That was Mandarin - you know who is up.

We bought him from Alan Chessler in 86’. His wife had moved on to her next horse, and Tony had bumped him up to the jumpers.

I caught the ride on him at Tampa, then called my mommy!

Mandy - Tampa

There are more pics on my website

I do not remember Riot Free as being grey, but then again, I cannot place what color he might have been.

Does anyone remember a Suncatcher in the Chicago area? I believe he was at Fields and Fences in the latter 80s. He was so pretty back in the day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-title”>quote:</div><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-content”>Originally posted by harryjohnson:
I agree Silk - today’s courses are not tight by any means. Today the three foot looks far trickier to me than back in the day when I jumped the four foot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL…and maybe its my age, and coming back after 25 years, but today’s oxers look bigger, wider and more solid. When I was 11 I had a handy little chestnut horse that may have been 15 hands. he handled the 3-ft limit eq classes handily and with plenty of scope. That guy would not have been able to do today’s children’s medal classes.

I remember loving and watching Lisa Castelluci’s Touch the Sun, Kim Rachuba’s Whadaysay!, Cismont Manor’s Just For Fun, Caryln Foster’s Taravariant. My all time sentimental hunter favorite is Red Rose Farm’s French Quarter. First time I spectated at Devon, I picked the Maclay winner (much to the suprise of my instructor who was helping me conquor cross-rails) Susanah Schroer & Scarborough Fayre.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-title”>quote:</div><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-content”>Originally posted by shade:
you’re right BH2 he was Krissy Barlow’s lg jr. I took care of him and all of Krissy’s horses her last 2 jr yrs. Man I remember Timmy finding these places I could turn him out for the night, so lucky me had to go and get him from the field at 3AM so he could get cleaned up and braided. Loved it when I’d get there and he’s be sound asleep flat out in the field…oh yeah that did a lot of good…more LTD for me… </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shade, we know eachother! I was working for the Nielsens at that time. Took care of French Leave, Watership Down, Taxi, etc. Karen had a jr. horse before Watership Down that Timmy and I did the turnout routine with. What a pain in the ass that was! That horse was Summer Solstice. We ended up giving Summer Solstice (Donald), to a jr. in Timmy’s barn named Tammy Freund. We got Watership Down from them in trade.
We were sad at the time, and for a long time felt like we had made a huge mistake. We knew WD was really talented, but it took a LONG time for him to come around and start to be succesful. When he finally did, he was pretty tough to beat!

Not sure if they’ve been mentioned in the previous 12 pages:

Movie Star (my favorite)
Bridegroom
Nite Life
Rumors
Devon
Sunshot

And Movie Star, Dillon, Bridegroom, Rain Forest,
Nite Life were all Hunterdon horses, NOT Beacon Hill. For those of us old enough to remember
when Hunterdon was famous for it’s hunters.

Yes, I do believe it may have been River Train. He would school the horse over much higher fences than he needed to jump in the ring.

Mary Wade Warner? Rode against her so many times, of course we jogged behind. Is she now doing race horses?

Becky was AZ, and believe Mary Wade was Kennett Square if memories are correct.

Racetb: Would that be Jimbo Chaplin? or a different Jimbo?

SillyMomma: I do believe that Mandarin’s front end is what George would refer to as “tasty”.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-title”>quote:</div><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-content”>Originally posted by radio talk:
Mary Wade Warner? Rode against her so many times, of course we jogged behind. Is she now doing race horses?

Becky was AZ, and believe Mary Wade was Kennett Square if memories are correct. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mary Wade Warner is Louise’s mother. She started Derbydown in Kennett Square. Louise still has the barn, it is quite an operation. Both mother and daughter are great riders.

I believer Mary passed away a few years ago. Can anyone confirm that?

I’m back, Harry, because this is fun. I checked in a few times last night, and I didn’t have the education to deal with, “need help buying breeches”, “trainer stole money, blah, blah, blah”, or “why is my cantle rising at the trot”. Also, every time I looked the $%#@, “blinged crop” was getting the most air time. You guys had all gone to ground apparently after too much partying to which I was not invited. Now we are faced with teenagers who are trying to do it all. They will soon have someone else show their horses for them, and the pro divisions will be good again!
I really like photo jeaprody, though!

Great PB! I think I did the Hunt Teams with Maudie that year…great memories

You have me nutz here, so is it one word or two??

Here are the two word ones I can remember. Promised Land, Pilgrim’s Promise. Uhhh thats it folks,

California in the 60s:
Criterion - Bob Hauser
Suggestion - Myra Moss
Above Reproach - ridden by Mousey Williams
Freeloader - ridden by Jimmy Williams
Chesterton - ridden by Judy Martin
Mathias Sandorf - Celia Thorsen
Pipe Dream - Poncho Frankel
Hindu Lady - Judy Benz
I am not really into gray horses but they seems to be over represented here.

I saw Stocking Stuffer go at the Garden. He was fabulous. I remember his asking price being astronimical for that era (close to 100k)