Unlimited access >

Show Hunters of the past

I’m really enjoying this thread even though I’m too young to know any of the horses. Anyone care to explain the past horrors of Lake Placid?

What about Good Boy Dee

I remember TQ’s S’News, we were just talking about her with Hap. She was a very nice Mare.

I also remember Sporting Spirit. Susie Hutchinson rode that horse.

Megan Furth has some very nice ones from Sutton Place. Dance Card was one. Gray conf hunter.

I’m Very Sorry to hear about Robert…How Sad!!

Does anyone remember Axel Foley…Haven’s Schatt’s jr. horse??

(can he be classified as a hunter of the past? )

I loved a little horse named Wee Ken, he was one of my favorites ,probably in the 60’s.

The viewing room in the indoor at Nimrod was called the Birchbark Room.

roflmao!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-title”>quote:</div><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-content”>Originally posted by Silly Mommy:
Some more names - Master Dan, Rub The Lamp, The Raven (remember when he got a “haircut” at indoors?). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually…The Raven got his “haircut” (most of his tail) at a show before Indoors…I want to say Traders Point but the time is late and the brain is a bit foggy. He used a “tail helper” at Indoors. I think we got it from one of the shakey tail people…

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-title”>quote:</div><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-content”>Originally posted by ponybreeder:
Yeah, BH1, the Birchbark Room was named for the eq horse that Fred Bauer won the MaClay on.
Harry, didn’t Michelle McEvoy and Alan Severnson ride Advance Ticket? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought Racetb confirmed that Birch Bark was Drew Davenport’s ride. Or did they both show him?

OAK, I only remember Kip showing Rome Dome as a jumper, did he do the hunters before that?

LH, I DO remember Spindletop Scotch, didn’t realize he was renamed Scotch Tweed.

Okay fess up, whatcha using there ponybreeder??

Mentioning Bob Freels what about Ace of Diamonds.

Boy that is a good question Race… They weren’t jumped near as hard as today. The courses were interesting, but nothing as technical. Hard yes, height to the top. Green Jumpers did 3’9" - 4’, Table I, tics & touches, I believe could be wrong on that.

Remember all those horses that Frank Imperatore had? Or Joe Green, Gene Estep, Frank, Bill, Barney, George and of course Wissie Mumma!

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-title”>quote:</div><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-content”>Originally posted by Carol Ames:
Navy Commander </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had forgotten all about him! And what about Wendy Mairs’ beautiful chestnut, Ace of Diamonds? No one seems to remember them.

I believe her maiden name was Michael Cody. And the horse could have been a mare, I don’t really remember.

You’ve had too many martinis Harry, I already told you Scotch Tweed was Brooke’s horse.

Didn’t Victor have Raise The Roof in Florida in '74? Jimmy Arno rode him…I think he was pre-green or 1st yr. then. Brown horse? His stall at Jacksonville had a big window with an awning…so we posted a hotdog and fries menu under it. lol!

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-title”>quote:</div><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-content”>Originally posted by Sansena:
Gratis owned by VonZegasar ridden by Scott Stewart?

Playbill owned by A/O Jeanne Goodspeed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember both of those horses- they were at my barn for awhile. Then Gratis sold to the Kleins. He was a very nice horse.

BAC I believe Ace of Diamonds ws ridden by Kathy Kusner for Mrs. Randolph whobred him I’ll bet youthat Betsy Prker of the h fauquier Tinmes democrat or hr mother would know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-title”>quote:</div><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-content”>Originally posted by buryinghill2:
We ended up giving Summer Solstice (Donald), to a jr. in Timmy’s barn named Tammy Freund. We got Watership Down from them in trade.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I only vaguely remember Summer Solstice (of course I remember WD), but I remember Tammy Freund. She also had a little bay horse named Kanko, and she wound up buying Town Talk from Patty Schneck.

Claudia has SNW at the same time I was showing in the juniors: I think she’s about a year older than I am.

Casting back a bit earlier, do any of you remember Billy Fuller? He had a jumper named Spaced Out in, I think, the late 60’s, early 70’s. I rode for him while I was in college and he would tell me the greatest old stories! Wish he was still alive to take part in this discussion.