Unlimited access >

Show Hunters of the past

speaking of plain brown wrapper…what ever happend to monica brunner?

[QUOTE=RacetbAefvue FarmBiziz Ltd.;1220988]
I wonder more about the jumpers of the past. Would the Olympic caliber horses of the 50’s and 60’s make it in today’s bigger Grands Prix???[/QUOTE]

What I find a little interesting on that score is that world records for both high and broad jumps were set back in the '40’s by TB’s. Is that because people nowadays don’t pay attention to those records and try to better them, or the old TB’s had the jump but not the rideability of today’s top jumpers or what? Those records certainly suggest to me that “bigger” would not be the real issue for some of those older horses with today’s GP.

Stanley Garrett

[QUOTE=micwrigh;2858563]
Night Pomp and Stanley Garrett?[/QUOTE]

Did anyone ever find out what happened to Stanley Garrett? I trained with him when I was 12 (now I’m 36) and this site popped up with other people asking about him.

Please respond if anyone knows. The last I heard so long ago was that he was going into the horse insurance business.

Thanks.

Rox Dean

I was lucky enough to see Rox dene on manyy occasions…I still havnt seen a hunter that has left me more mesmorized every time I saw her.

[QUOTE=StoliCat;4346518]
Did anyone ever find out what happened to Stanley Garrett? I trained with him when I was 12 (now I’m 36) and this site popped up with other people asking about him.

Please respond if anyone knows. The last I heard so long ago was that he was going into the horse insurance business.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

My dear friend Stanley died in the 1980s. He is missed every day.

sory, to say

Stanley Garrett?I seem to recall hearing, when living in Middleburg, that he had :cry:passed Aids or cancer I believe; have you tried goggling him?

Royal Blue was my favorite

someone’s probably already mentioned this pony, but Dow Jones. (whom IRRC recently passed away :frowning: )

Rox Dene

GG Valentine (well not quite as old as some of the previously mentioned, but still retired, so it counts, right? :P)

[QUOTE=SpartanVirtue;4347484]
My dear friend Stanley died in the 1980s. He is missed every day.[/QUOTE]
Too many too soon… thanks for the answer. I’ve thought about him many times and couldn’t find anything on Google except this thread. He taught me so much and I now have a chance to use that training to help some horses in need out here (in CA) who would otherwise have no one.

I haven’t ridden since I left Middleburg as a kid, but I seem to remember it like it was yesterday…he was a very talented and kind man and instructor. I’ll never forget him plopping one single pole on the ground (after I’d been jumping several feet and fox hunting) and said, “We’re starting over”. He completely re-trained me and I thank him for that.

Take Care and thanks for the reply.

[QUOTE=ArthurGuinness;4346640]
I was lucky enough to see Rox dene on manyy occasions…I still havnt seen a hunter that has left me more mesmorized every time I saw her.[/QUOTE]

Anyone know where I can find a photo? I’ve never seen Roxdene!!

I knew Stanley Garrett back in the early eighties. He was not just a talented horseman, he was a terrific story teller and had a great sense of humor. Even today I still recall many of his funny stories and lines.

maybe this has been asked but what happen to the charlie weaver who rode ruxton and weather permitting? is he still with us?

[QUOTE=worldclass777;4353924]
maybe this has been asked but what happen to the charlie weaver who rode ruxton and weather permitting? is he still with us?[/QUOTE]

I’ve wondered the same thing. I used to love watching him ride when I was a kid.

Charlie still shows and has clients.

[QUOTE=JOBEAN;4353398]
Anyone know where I can find a photo? I’ve never seen Roxdene!![/QUOTE]

I cant find her online…its a shame cause she is amazing…i will continue to search

Search for “Rox Dene” (two words)
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=“rox+dene”&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

There are pictures of Rox Dene in my webshots link.

He has been based in Southhampton, on Long Island for many years now. As far as I know he is still there.

Did you mean Isgilde?

[QUOTE=CBoylen;4382627]
There are pictures of Rox Dene in my webshots link.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for sharing… she’s amazing!!