Unlimited access >

Show Jumping

[QUOTE=SlamDunk;7742803]
Pretty sure it doesn’t effect the team standings. Here is a nice summary of the format/rules

http://www.worldofshowjumping.com/events/world-equestrian-games/6801-the-world-championships-from-day-to-day-how-does-it-work[/QUOTE]

the speed round does count! The Team final score counts the three best riders from the speed class and the best three from each of the two rounds of the “nation’s cup” that starts tomorrow.

Beezie’s round was lovely- didn’t realize she was as fast as she was because she was so smooth.

[QUOTE=JinxyPoo;7742840]
I think today’s scores do carry over the team competition- the results from 2010 include the scores from the speed round

http://www.alltechfeigames.com/ftp-pdf/JUM_RT_3.pdf[/QUOTE]
That’s weird. I thought the Nations Cup is what decides team medals. So the first 3 days decide team medals/placements and the rest decide individual honors?

[QUOTE=Larksmom;7742654]
OK, I have a question for ya’ll. What color are the team coats? Since they aren’t hunting, I ASSUME they aren’t Pinque, but do you call it scarlet, or plain ol’ red?[/QUOTE]

I frequently read about someone “getting their red coat” when referring to the rider’s first time on the team, but I think saying scarlet is also acceptable.

Any videos from today’s rounds yet?

They don’t seem to have live scoring on the WEG website yet (at least,I can’t see it). Hmmmmmm. I sooo hope that some of these rides go online.

[QUOTE=Secret Dove;7742873]
That’s weird. I thought the Nations Cup is what decides team medals. So the first 3 days decide team medals/placements and the rest decide individual honors?[/QUOTE]

As I understand it, ALL the rounds count for the individual.

Yes, all rounds count for the individual classification.

and J-lu, the live scoring is active, its at the top of the results page! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Madeline;7742927]
As I understand it, ALL the rounds count for the individual.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I know that. I was saying that the first three days count towards team and all rounds decide individual honors. I said it wrong.

[QUOTE=Janeway;7742932]
Yes, all rounds count for the individual classification.

and J-lu, the live scoring is active, its at the top of the results page! :-)[/QUOTE] I found it, thanks to the links of fellow COTHers. It doesn’t seem as easy to find as the dressage and eventing links. Thanks, though!

PS. That results link wasn’t there when I first looked at the page and then came over here to COTH to find out the results. It is added now (at least I can now see it - I must have originally pulled up the page at a bad moment.

Am I the only one who think it’s soooooo adorable that Cortes crosses his front legs over every jump? I just love that horse! He’s so awesome!

[QUOTE=Secret Dove;7742658]
Yeah, he didn’t like the wall at all. I thought Lucy handled the situation very professionally. She really fought to stay on! Lets hope he jumps the wall better tomorrow, if he has to jump it again.[/QUOTE]

It wasn’t Barron’s fault at all. Lucy totally missed the distance, jumped up on his neck and he put in the extra stride. She did do a nice recovery and stayed on to continue.

H&H article; http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/weg/weg-showjumping/weg-showjumping-youngest-rider-bertram-allen-holds-lead-gb-team-11th/

[QUOTE=Equibrit;7743115]
H&H article; http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/weg/weg-showjumping/weg-showjumping-youngest-rider-bertram-allen-holds-lead-gb-team-11th/[/QUOTE]

He’s only 19??

Excuse me while I go drink away my sorrows…

2nd is Sweden, 4th Germany, 5th Netherlands, 6th Canada… the top 10 are only separated by one rail basically.

[QUOTE=neigh;7743071]
It wasn’t Barron’s fault at all. Lucy totally missed the distance, jumped up on his neck and he put in the extra stride. She did do a nice recovery and stayed on to continue.[/QUOTE]

That is what I saw too. Especially on the slo-mo replay. It surprised me because it was a related (countable) distance from the prior fence and no one else crashed through the wall due to the horse being on a 1/2 stride. Yes, there were refusals and blocks down, but, from the rounds I saw (all of section 2), everyone else got there on an even count (9?). It looked like she just lost count.

At that point, I was thinking that her nerves got to her – with her inexperience and all. Maybe it was what she needed to regroup and focus instead of being overwhelmed. But I found myself regretting that Charlie was not riding today.

Lest anyone think I am dissing Lucy, I am not. I think, for her age and experience, she is an incredible rider. But, WEG is not the time or place for riders with so little experience to be on the team. Waiting in the wings were Margie (out with collarbone), Charlie Jayne and Chill RZ, Lauren Hough with Oohlala (sp?) and another experienced rider I cannot remember.

That is my opinion. Yours may vary :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=neigh;7743071]
It wasn’t Barron’s fault at all. Lucy totally missed the distance, jumped up on his neck and he put in the extra stride. She did do a nice recovery and stayed on to continue.[/QUOTE]

That’s not what I saw at all. I saw Barron take a hard look and look at the wall, as many others did, and Lucy reacted quickly to get him over the fence. The wall caused many problems, and a few horses decided not to jump between the flags.

ETA She was my pick for the team as well due to her experience at several World Cup Finals, Barcelona Nations Cup Finals, performance at Aachen, and just generally her experience being based in Europe.

Ohlala is a lovely horse but pretty much took her self out of the running at observation events, Charlie Jayne is great but if I was in the same spot as Robert I’d have taken Lucy too. I guess I just completely disagree on that jump haha.

Either way the American’s have a great team and I think they will all perform well tomorrow!

[QUOTE=SlamDunk;7743200]
That’s not what I saw at all. I saw Barron take a hard look and look at the wall, as many others did, and Lucy reacted quickly to get him over the fence. The wall caused many problems, and a few horses decided not to jump between the flags.

ETA She was my pick for the team as well due to her experience at several World Cup Finals, Barcelona Nations Cup Finals, performance at Aachen, and just generally her experience being based in Europe.

Ohlala is a lovely horse but pretty much took her self out of the running at observation events, Charlie Jayne is great but if I was in the same spot as Robert I’d have taken Lucy too. I guess I just completely disagree on that jump haha.

Either way the American’s have a great team and I think they will all perform well tomorrow![/QUOTE]

I think that regardless of whether Barron was spooky or Lucy missed, what’s more impressive is the fact that she delivered a clear round afterword. We can’t develop young riders without giving them the opportunity to prove themselves, and I think she definitely showed that she’s capable.

But, WEG is not the time or place for riders with so little experience to be on the team.

Funny, that is the opposite of what I heard on eventing board. Put up youth.Bring in new blood.

[QUOTE=Tha Ridge;7743231]
I think that regardless of whether Barron was spooky or Lucy missed, what’s more impressive is the fact that she delivered a clear round afterword. We can’t develop young riders without giving them the opportunity to prove themselves, and I think she definitely showed that she’s capable.[/QUOTE]

Definitely! Per her interview it sounds like it was a bit of both. I think she’ll do great tomorrow

“I got shot out a little to the left in the first line,” said Davis. “I didn’t kind of take him as far to the inside track as I wanted.”

She went to correct her path, and Barron grew confused. “I kicked, and it was just kind of overall a bit of a miscommunication,” Davis continued. “That’s where he’s so great. He’s so brave. He can crash through a wall and then keep going and jump clear. You just kind of have to kick into survival mode and keep going.”

But Larksmom she’s not inexperienced. She’s ridden at World Cup Finals, Nations cup Finals, Won the Youngster Cup, youngest rider to win a GCT Grand Prix ever, just finished 6th at Aachen in the million dollar grand prix. I’m not sure how to quantify it to Eventing, but it has to be the equivalent of some good 3* and 4* placings at least.