Unlimited access >

Sweetie's Saga- Rest In Peace Sweet Mare

My outdoor cat loves to behead bats and eat the head? Oh he also is not crazy about the texture of field mice entrails, he leaves the guts in my carport for me :face_vomiting:.

Yikes! Careful with bats and rabies, my older cat (5ish) loves to maim, but not kill, mice. My cats are indoor only, so I just plugged the holes. They are very very picky about texture. No flakes in broth for my crew. They currently like stew, used to like pate.

1 Like

No, itā€™s not a lot, usually 3 a day for a month then taper down.

Hereā€™s the main thread.

1 Like

More thinking she was a QH with a touch of TB in herā€‹:smile:. She looks really kind no matter what the her bloodlines are, so letā€™s keep thinking she is a super sweet QH :smile:

3 Likes

Oh ya, he stays utd on his shots for sure!

1 Like

They just messaged me, planning for next sat ahhhh yayyy!!!

20 Likes

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Abler omeprazole supposedly works pretty well. Itā€™s a feed through and not a tiny amount (looks like pop rocks candy packets). You could start with the lower dose of Nexium and see how that goes. Or sucralfate, which dissolves fast and is pretty flavorless and also supports the hind gut. I donā€™t know if Iā€™d necessarily treat for ulcers right off the bat but might just see how she responds to a different diet first, as adding any meds especially to feed might make it harder to get the right feed into her. Deal with any deworming issues and dental issues. You could use one of the newer feeds that have stomach buffering ingredients to provide stomach support if she does have ulcers without adding meds at first. Like one of the Purina feeds that contain Outlast, TC Senior Gold, and I think Tribute has some now also. And as far as misoprostol, that can sometimes make them act colicky (per my vet), so maybe risky for an already underweight horse that you arenā€™t planning on scoping right away to confirm thatā€™s the medication she needs.

I am going to have my vet examine her before I treat for ulcers. Good idea on the tummy support first, I was on a brainstorming binge last night. She is eating around 6lbs of triple crown senior right now, I will see what the vet says n then go from there, I definetely donā€™t want to do too much at once n set her back at all so thank you for the heads up n little shake that I needed haha.

1 Like

Jingles for your new adorable mare! Can not wait to see her blossom and look amazing.

3 Likes

Fingers crossed! I asked them to measure her for me so I can have at least a turnout sheet n hood ordered for her. My mares cooler with a hood should fit her for evenings when she will be stalled, it wonā€™t hurt to use that as a stable blanket for awhile right? I feel like between her weight issue and the fact that she looks thin skinned, I am going to want to keep her covered a lot sooner that my fat pony who needs to shiver off some lbs! He is still in a muzzle and probably will be till at least November. I swear it will be Jack Sprat n his wife around here!! :laughing:

3 Likes

She is eating around 6lbs of triple crown senior right now, I will see what the vet says n then go from there, I definetely donā€™t want to do too much at once n set her back at all so thank you for the heads up

Blockquote

Sounds like youā€™re aware of this, but
sheā€™s so thin, Iā€™d ask the vet about refeeding syndrome as well to ensure that Iā€™m not overwhelming her system with too much/too rich food too soon.

Thank you for taking her on. :clap: :raised_hands:

12 Likes

Oh ya I already figured that. I am going to probably start her out with the same amount she gets as of now with some electrolytes and probios, a little aloe vera juice to start and work up on that one, decent amount of hay and see what she cleans up, decide if she has any teeth issues. Limited grass since everything here in east tn is still green, I am mowing practically hay bales worth of grass everytime I mow still. I do want to do a 5 day course of wormer that worries me as far as overloading/shocking her system more than anything.

Some refeeding protocols are based on, along with general health and parasite checks, checking teeth and if a horse can eat properly, straight alfalfa, fed several times a day, like the U of Davis in California.
Alfalfa is gut supportive, even recommended when ulcers are suspected.
Has worked great for us, may want to check that with your vet.

8 Likes

Yes! No idea how that happened! ETA: deleted the non-sequitur!

1 Like

Abler also make a tube paste version that IS very effective. I have used it on two different horses, and both scoped before and after. It works.

1 Like

Ty! You always have the best advice I swear Chrono should have you on payroll! Getting alfalfa around here is a little pricey so I am plannin on trying just good amounts of mixed grass hay first and I figure I can supplement with beet pulp and alfalfa pellets soaked for a nice warm mash where it is getting colder before trying to source baled alfalfa?

Once I get weight on her Iā€™d like to keep her on my typical ā€˜keep it simple stupidā€™ theory of backyard easy living for my pasture pets haha. My last senior just did senior feed, hay, plenty of turnout and good grass with electrolytes and previcox 1x a day and he did amazing with me for 3 years until you could tell it was his time. Of course every horse is different, but Iā€™m hoping treating her to get the weight back on her and then just letting her be as much of a normal horse as possible will end up being the best option for her.

We will see how it goes it will be an adventure either way and of course I have amazing people like you for advice when I need it!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Awww you didnā€™t have to delete it, it was a fun side topic convo!!

1 Like

You are doing fine, knowledge gives you so many options to consider, once you are on the way to help her, she does need it, lucky her you are stepping in.

One time we went to look at a supposedly 18 year old for an elderly friend to just putz around.
He was in a pasture on a big bale of ugly stemmy hay with three other fat sassy younger horses, but he was starving skinny, about like this mare.
They said he was ten when they bought him, his kids used him for 8 years in 4H, they were needing more horse now, he just got skinny last few weeks and were feeding him some grain.

We left, then were thinking, that horse needs help, so turned around, went back and bought the horse. He walked ok if it was not far, he would get wobbly if made to move too much, so we were scared he would fall in the stock trailer, drove very carefully directly to our vet clinic two hours away.

Vet said he was 18 years ago, closer to 28 now, seemed healthy, but had terrible teeth and ulcers all over his mouth and showed us, poor horse could not hardly eat!
After vet treated him and put some fluids in him, said feed him alfalfa for some days, then try introducing soft senior feed.
We did, he would take a mouthful of senior feed and dunk it in the water trough, then chew it, so we started making a mush for him.
Thankfully his mouth ulcers cleared in a few days, that was important for his comfort.
Vet though we could make it home one hour away, just drive carefully.

That is a horse we put on very soft stem, leafy alfalfa, made a shavings bed on the end of the large, sand floored aisle for him, afraid in our 14ā€™ x 14ā€™ stalls he may get down and not be able to get up.
He was a wonderful happy horse, very sweet, loved attention.
In a couple days we had to put him in a stall with a large pen outside because he started opening the people door, turning the knob with his lips and letting himself in the hay part and eating directly out of the hay stack.

Those horses we help tend to be such a joy to have around, hope that mare will be for your family like old Nacho was for us.

27 Likes

I blame it on my new iPhone! Lol The rest of the side convo is thereā€¦ so people can still see how batty I am!

1 Like