Unlimited access >

Sweetie's Saga- Rest In Peace Sweet Mare

I am right there with you on the battiness haha!

1 Like

I am really hoping she turns out like that too! They said she is 19 but I really question that age! This is the original ad, sounds like shes been passed around alot and needs/deserves a better place to live out her days. I literally cried reading it at work n looking at herā€¦

https://asheville.craigslist.org/grd/d/edneyville-19yr-old-quarter-horse/7539415022.html

1 Like

Well hell, they deleted it already, but they made her sound like just a dead broke old passed around mare, I cannot wait till she gets some sass back in her!

Yeah she could use some weight.

But without any fat hiding her faults of conformationā€“you lucky horseperson.

Charles Craver had hunted for a Pure Davenport Arabian stallion that might be suitable for breeding. He finally found one, Tripoli, who had been starved down (I think Tripoli was at 600 lbs, full grown stallion). Charles Craver wrote that Tripoliā€™s bones showed a well conformed horse and made him the center of his breeding program.

Yes, take a chance with her. If you can get her riding sound she should be able to do what you want, sheā€™s got that build.

It is my theory that some horses, when they are in ā€œdesperateā€ conditions (the definition of ā€œdesperateā€ depends on what the horse thinks) sends out a message of HELP!!! to the Universe. Often a horse person picks it up, sees the horse or a picture of the horse, cannot resist, and comes to save the horse.

I foresee a mutual love connection there. After all you ARE her personal savior.

7 Likes

I use the Abler ā€œpop rocksā€ Omeprazole as a daily supplement and have had good results with it. It is also the most cost effective resource that I have found.

However, this sweet mare may need something to treat acute ulcers before going the daily supplement route.

Looking forward to lots of happy updates on this thread!

4 Likes

Awww thats super sweet of you to say, but idk if I would go that far with it lol.

Confirmation faults or not, the most I would do is bareback putz around my property and maybe give my 9 yr old daughter the basics of riding type lessons with my saddle from when I was a kid. The owners say she was used for barrels, I could not ever in my heart of hearts put a heavy western saddle on her again, let alone an english one with any weight heavier than my dd. If she can do a bareback pad with me and just work on walking, building back some muscle and staying sound, I would be beyond thrilled.

Even if she never does anything but eat, sleep and be merry the rest of her days we will be happy with her and count it as a win for the mare.

7 Likes

Very true, again just have to wait n see what vet says. If we treat for worms again she is still staying puny we will probably just go ahead and treat for stomach n hindgut ulcers. I feel like the cost of scoping in her case wouldnā€™t be worth it if I can do a good regimen of treatment and then see where she stands. Yes misiprostol can make them colicky but its risk vs reward, it worked wonders for my mare and UT never scoped her hindgut. Gastroguard for 3 days and she still was barely eating, 1 day of misiprostol and half her bucket was eaten that next morning. In my mind, worth it.

1 Like

Crazy or not, if you want to own the horse, take cash and a horse trailer and go get it pronto. That,s what works best. Good luck.

5 Likes

Theyā€™re actually bringing her to me next Saturdayā€¦ :slight_smile: I offered to pay her half up front until she got here but they are just thrilled that she is going to a good home. If I had a trailer I would go this coming up week after it will be done pouring rain. Thats the one big horse purchase I have not had the time or money for yet.

3 Likes

Good luck! Do not pay in advance for a cheap horse from someone you do not know personally. Trust no one. She looks like a decent looking horse to me, just needs some groceries and decent care.

5 Likes

I mean they have an Airbnb and I know where they live I found their address online before I even talk to them in person just based on the phone number on Craigslist I am Inspector Gadget rolled into Sherlock Holmes

5 Likes

Another enabler here. I took in a 17h TB rescue in 2017, and lost her pasturemate in 10/21 (I had had him for 26+ years). The TB was doing ok on her own, but I felt that she would be better/happier with a buddy. So, I took in another rescue . . . a TWH mare about 20 years old. In terms of condition, she looked a lot like your new girl - pretty ribby, obviously wormy, long rough coat, but with a sweet face and attitude that told me everything. I spent a lot of hours working on her coat, which had probably not been brushed or shed out in several years. She needed groceries and TLC. She and the TB are best buddies now, and her easy going nature has actually helped mellow the TBā€™s naturally high strung nature. As others have suggested, be cautious. But there is no better feeling than being able to be a part of rescuing a horse.

6 Likes

OP, congratulations on your new mare. I hope her transition and travel to your place on Saturday goes without a hitch.

Regarding ulcers, I used the Abler ā€œpop rocksā€ a couple times with success. A couple years ago, though, a thread started here on using Nexium instead of omeprazole to achieve the same, or similar, results. Thereā€™s a fascinating long thread about it. People on COTH are so smart and so wise and collaborative - such a wonderful resource.

The thing about Nexium is that you only give two or three pills daily for X weeks, then taper down. Donā€™t rely on my memory for that - youā€™ll have to read the thread to get the ā€œrightā€ protocol. I did this with a mare and again had great results. It was very, very low cost, since I could buy Nexium at the dollar store or Costco and the two/three pills a day were a breeze to feed.

Of course, Iā€™m no vet, and Iā€™m not directing you to do this with your horse. I am saying, however, that it was helpful in our case.

Keep us updated! Such a fun adventure to have with your daughter. My son is 21yo and 2200 miles away in college - boohoo! - and we wouldā€™ve loved to have done this same thing together.

Hereā€™s the link: Esomeprazole (Nexium) for equine ulcers

5 Likes

Thank you!!! It is on my read list for this weekend, I want to be able to devote an hr or so to reading it all lol .

You may find it is as easy as teeth issues and being the low horse the pecking order. I rescued an older TB Broodmare ( 21) thinner than that and that was all she needed.

Major dental work and a place to eat unmolested. In 4 -6 months my vet didnā€™t recognize her when he came out.

Fed appropriate amount of Strategy( vet recommended it) a few pounds to start and working up to what my vet advised and unlimited grass/ alfalfa. It sure was rewarding and I hope your new mare does as well.

She may be a QH/ TB cross and if you havenā€™t been riding for a while, you might want to have a pro do the first few rides if you get to that point.

6 Likes

They ā€œthe currentā€ ownerā€™s tell me she neck reins and plods along like a pro, then again when she gets her spunk back it may be a different story, but I will for sure be careful. Probably lots of hand walking, getting used to tack again, I do everything english, she was always rode western Iā€™m sure. Maybe some lunging, make sure she is sound and comfortable in tack before I even think about telling DH to hold her and walk me around letā€™s see what happens lol. Yes, I will have a helmet onā€¦ everytime.

5 Likes

Nope, not crazy!

I would definitely have her teeth checked/done first thing when she arrives. At that age, she could either have a ton of points, or some very worn/wavy molars. Either one would prevent her from eating all that hay well, or getting much out of it.

6 Likes

Oh yes that is on the top items on my list! My mare had abscessed teeth and went her last few years with only her front 4 teeth and still thrived :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not crazy. Amazingly compassionate and kind-hearted, yes. The world needs more people like you :heart:

9 Likes

You came here and expected someone to tell you you are crazy? Not gonna happen :nerd_face:.
Bless you. She sure has a sweet eye and is a very pretty mare.

Jingles coming your way that you can easily get some meat on her bones.

Susan

6 Likes